Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Nevada Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (55% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Tuolumne Meadows Campground

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Tuolumne Meadows Campground
May 16, 2008 07:08PM
Hi!

First of all, thank you for sharing such wonderful information with people on this site! I have read many great tips for an awesome Yosemite experience from many of you over the last year and a half.

I was wondering when reservations will start being accepted at Tuolumne Meadows (tent campsite). Is it the day that Tioga Pass is opened? I want to make sure I can reserve a campsite because I've dealt with the frustration of trying to find one without a reservation (been very lucky at Bridalvale Creek though). I have time already reserved in the valley (gasp, I know, but I like the proximity to the awesome valley dayhikes) and wanted to add to the experience a stay at Tuolumne (June 24-29).

Any comments or suggestions would sure be appreciated!!

Robin

avatar Re: Tuolumne Meadows Campground
May 16, 2008 07:43PM
I would check the reservation system a couple of times a day starting now.

Old Dude
May 16, 2008 07:48PM
And start scouting for the site you want at http://yosemitecampsites.com.

May 16, 2008 09:26PM
Hi,

Thanks. I have been checking both this site and recreation.gov daily because I had a feeling it would be soon.

The recreation.gov site has all of the campsites lumped together. You pick one of four types for non-group reservations, and it is a non-specific site (ranger will assign at check in). I found decent sites on yosemitecampsites.com, but you can't select a specific site on their reservation system.

I am just happy to be going. I have a great site in north pines, so I don't want to be too greedy!

Thanks again for the update. I will continue checking!!!

Robin

May 17, 2008 10:49AM
Hi,

In case anyone is interested about this topic, I was able to speak to a very friendly ranger in the Valley Campground office this morning and get some additional information. She informed me that when Tioga Pass opens, it does not mean the Tuolumne Meadows campground will. The Tuolumne Meadows Campground is mostly shaded (still traces of snow, wet ground) and will not open up for camping until likely mid-June. It will be considered completely first come first served until July 15 (when half the campground was already open for reservations).

I hope this information is useful to someone else as well!

Robin

June 13, 2008 04:47PM
last year on Thursday July 5, I arrived at TM Campground at 9:30 am, and it was 1/3 empty, and all spots were first-come, first-served, no reservations accepted. Not sure if it's representative of history or of what will happen in '08, but it's a data point for you - -
June 14, 2008 10:29PM
Thanks for the information. I have been patiently waiting for the campground to open. The nps site only says late June. Seems like sites should be available between the campground opening and July 15th based on what I have seen here and read online.

Robin
June 18, 2008 11:34AM
Hi,

In case anyone is interested, according to the nps site Tuolumne Meadows, along with the other campgrounds along Tioga Pass (except Porcupine and Tamarack Flat), will be opening Friday, June 20th.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/campground.htm

Just thought I would share!

Robin

Post Edited (06-18-08 20:47)
July 06, 2008 05:18PM
We are back after almost two weeks in Yosemite (five nights in TM and seven in YV). Just wanted to share more information on the campground. The reservations are only that, a way to reserve a spot. You can't reserve a specific spot only tent, RV, etc. When you arrive with a reservation you don't necessarily get a better spot assigned to you at the check in kiosk than someone without a reservation. They simply put you where you fit.

That being said, the campground was less than 1/4 full when I arrived on the 24th and it was a wonderful experience. The mosquitoes were in full force however, and lemon eucalyptus repel did not work on these fellows (especially on hikes to Vogelsang and Mono Pass). The only thing that worked for us was that dreaded 100% deet. The river was flowing and it was pretty cold at night.

Oh, and no showers will be available to campers this summer at Tuolumne Meadows. The rangers told us when we checked in that we would have to go to the valley or Lee Vining for showers since they were replacing the water pipe this summer at the lodge. Another ranger told us that the water fall has been too low and that is why they are not allowing campers to use the showers. Would have been nice to know before we left but we dealt with it.

If anyone has specific questions, please let me know. I would be happy to help if I can!

Robin

July 07, 2008 09:11AM
Showers are nice, but a dip in the river works wonders.
Ain't so bad once you get in to it. brrrrrrrrr.

July 07, 2008 11:37AM
Hi Robin,

We re planning on a weekend backpacking trip to Vogelsang end of July. Can you let me how much snow you encountered at Vogelsang? Did you go beyond the Lake?

Thanks.

ABM
July 07, 2008 05:37PM
Hi ABM,

We only did Vogelsang as a day hike, so just barely past the lake for us. We wanted to go further but were being eaten alive up there. There were a few scattered patches of snow on the side of the trail, but we did not have to hike through any snow on the trail to Vogelsang (but did have to hop a few small waterways and streams). We did have to hike through some larger patches of snow on the hike to Mono Pass, but it wasn't anything our regular hiking boots couldn't handle. The tents in the HSC were half up when we were there.

I did try to take a dip in the river at the TM campground and it was just a bit cold for me (made it to my knees and that's it). We saw a few people taking an "invigorating" dunk though (their words). We also heard that some of the backpackers were allowed to use the showers at the lodge, but not campers.

We have used the Curry Village showers when in the valley for years and never had to pay until this year. We usually go in the dreaded month of August and were told that much of the staff has left for college or home by that time and no one was available to take the $5 fee. Oh well, worth it I suppose. They make you pay or show a room key.

Robin

July 07, 2008 06:17PM
robinjayp wrote:

> We have used the Curry Village showers when in the valley for
> years and never had to pay until this year. We usually go in
> the dreaded month of August and were told that much of the
> staff has left for college or home by that time and no one was
> available to take the $5 fee. Oh well, worth it I suppose.
> They make you pay or show a room key.

I thought payment was supposed to be at the front desk. As long as Curry Village is open (I thought it was year round) there should be someone there during regular operating hours.

Still - when I paid last year I wasn't given a receipt, and the desk clerk pretty much hinted that payment was on the honor system at the time.

Was it you who noted that they now have staff at the showers to check for a key or day use receipt?

July 07, 2008 11:42PM
y_p_w wrote:

>
> Was it you who noted that they now have staff at the showers to
> check for a key or day use receipt?
>

Yes. In the past the staff actually told us right at the pool/shower area that there was no one to take money and to help ourselves. Other times we were told that there was no charge after 5:00 p.m. because they did not have staff available to take money. This year there was an attendant right at the shower/pool house in both the evening and morning. When we went to pay, the attendant asked us if we were guests and had a room key (but never a receipt from the front desk). Since we were camping, we paid our $5 and were given a towel and a receipt. It was well worth the $5 and I really have no problem paying.

July 01, 2008 08:31PM
Is there a site that can help me pick a site at Dorst Campground in Sequoia National Park?

holz
July 01, 2008 10:29PM
holz wrote:

> Is there a site that can help me pick a site at Dorst
> Campground in Sequoia National Park?

It's on my list of things to do winking smiley

July 02, 2008 09:49AM
holz wrote:

> Is there a site that can help me pick a site at Dorst
> Campground in Sequoia National Park?

Dorst? That's black bear central. I understand that bears make the rounds there every night like clockwork.

Last year I camped at Stony Creek. It's a USDA Forest Service campground, but it's centrally located. The large NPS campgrounds can be crazy.

June 16, 2008 05:34PM
I have kind of an odd question about TM...assuming I could find a RESERVABLE site for only a portion of my planned visit, does anyone know if I can reserve the non-specific site via the internet, and then self-register for any additional days I want to stay at TM? Would I be able to stay at the same site, or do they have specific numbered sites for the reservable sites, and the others for walk-ups?

I'd probably not reserve a site online ahead of time if I had to move sites...that kind of ruins one day to have to pack up camp and move 200' feet away.

July 07, 2008 04:12PM
There have been some who have been known to just walk right on into the Tuolumne Meadows Lodge shower stalls and, believe it or not, simply close the door behind them, take a shower and leave without even so much as announcing their presence there.

Also, I don't personally know of anyone, as of yet, ever getting caught; not that I'm suggesting it. Is it a misdemeanor?
July 07, 2008 04:57PM
mark2 wrote:

> There have been some who have been known to just walk right on
> into the Tuolumne Meadows Lodge shower stalls and, believe it
> or not, simply close the door behind them, take a shower and
> leave without even so much as announcing their presence there.
>
>
> Also, I don't personally know of anyone, as of yet, ever
> getting caught; not that I'm suggesting it. Is it a
> misdemeanor?

Used to be common at the Curry Village showers, although I understand they now require some sort of proof that you're a paying customer (guest or paying a day use fee). I paid ($3) once last year, and was told to just go take a shower without paying the second time. I think they're serious about charging for it now - and it's up to $5.

July 07, 2008 04:18PM
This is probably why they aren't allowing showers:

Replace Gas Chlorination Systems at 5 Utility Plants
Demolition work at the Tuolumne Plant is underway.
Work at White Wolf as soon as containment pond is pumped down to suitable level.
Work at the Hodgdon wastewater treatment plant is underway. The plant is now capable of automatic and or timed run.
Plant is using liquid chlorine.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login