Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome from the Four Mile Trail to Glacier Point, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (82% of Full)

Advanced

Joshua Tree Flash Flood Causes Significant Damage, Closures

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Joshua Tree Flash Flood Causes Significant Damage, Closures
September 14, 2011 04:49PM
Joshua Tree National Park (CA)
Flash Flood Causes Significant Damage, Closures

Torrential rains caused widespread flash flooding in the Pinto Basin and Cottonwood Spring areas of Joshua Tree National Park yesterday morning. Extensive flood damage occurred to Park Route 11 - the Pinto Basin Road - with loss of pavement in numerous areas. The Cottonwood Visitor Center was flooded and parts of the Cottonwood Campground were washed away. Until further notice, Park Route 11 is closed from the entrance of White Tank Campground to the park's south boundary at Interstate 10. The Cottonwood Visitor Center and Cottonwood Campground are also closed. No visitors or park employees were injured during the flood event and no vehicles were damaged. It is estimated that at least three inches of rain fell during the morning storm. Park crews are continuing to assess the full extent of the damage though it may be some time before complete damage estimates are available.
Re: Joshua Tree Flash Flood Causes Significant Damage, Closures
September 15, 2011 10:17PM
Hopefully no harm to any of the tortoises!
avatar Re: Joshua Tree Flash Flood Causes Significant Damage, Closures
September 18, 2011 02:01PM
Hmm...they postponed a 9/16 Scoping meeting for the Pinto Basin Rd. realignment project because they're still scoping damage.

The Porcupine-Wash-To-Monument-Peak-Backpack portion of the trip I was planning this winter isn't looking good (the Joshua Tree Day Trip portion is looking OK).

In the interest of fallback plans...anyone been in the Sheephole Mountains? Nice trips?
Re: Joshua Tree Flash Flood Causes Significant Damage, Closures
September 24, 2011 01:15PM
ttilley
Hmm...they postponed a 9/16 Scoping meeting for the Pinto Basin Rd. realignment project because they're still scoping damage.

The Porcupine-Wash-To-Monument-Peak-Backpack portion of the trip I was planning this winter isn't looking good (the Joshua Tree Day Trip portion is looking OK).

In the interest of fallback plans...anyone been in the Sheephole Mountains? Nice trips?

My Joshua Tree experiences include:
-the Eagle Mountain-Lost Oasis Canyon double (nice views of Salton Sea)
-Ryan Mountain
-Hidden Valley-Quail
-Keys Vista Point
-49 Palms Oasis (very short)

All are relatively short. Eagle-Lost is the most strenuous of the bunch. For those that don't like the sun, there's not much shade. The rock formations towards the middle of the park are worth a look.
September 24, 2011 03:51PM
Ohnivy-Drak
ttilley

My Joshua Tree experiences include:
-the Eagle Mountain-Lost Oasis Canyon double (nice views of Salton Sea)
-Ryan Mountain
-Hidden Valley-Quail
-Keys Vista Point
-49 Palms Oasis (very short)

All are relatively short. Eagle-Lost is the most strenuous of the bunch. For those that don't like the sun, there's not much shade. The rock formations towards the middle of the park are worth a look.

• Ryan Mountain
  • Lost Horse Mine
  • Boyscout Trail
  • Rock Climbing at Indian Cove (in the previous century)
September 24, 2011 04:10PM
eeek
  • Ryan Mountain
  • Lost Horse Mine
  • Boyscout Trail
  • Rock Climbing at Indian Cove (in the previous century millenium)

Marmot
September 24, 2011 04:12PM
szalkowski
eeek
  • Ryan Mountain
  • Lost Horse Mine
  • Boyscout Trail
  • Rock Climbing at Indian Cove (in the previous century millenium)

Marmot

That works too.
September 24, 2011 10:18PM
The Eagle Mountain one has the same 'will the Pinto Basin Road be open' issue as my Monument Mtn. route. The others...thanks, I'll keep these in mind, either as overnight or (more likely looking over the maps) as day trips.
avatar Some Joshua Tree Flood-Damaged Facilities Reopen, Others Remain Closed
September 29, 2011 03:26PM
Joshua Tree National Park (CA)
Some Flood-Damaged Facilities Reopen, Others Remain Closed

A section of Pinto Basin Road, damaged in a severe flashflood on September 13th will reopen to the public on Friday. The segment of road that will reopen extends from the present closure at White Tank Campground for approximately nine miles southeast to the Ocotillo Patch pullout. This will allow public access to the popular Cholla Cactus Garden. Also opening on Friday are all park campgrounds and campsites that were closed for the summer due to low visitation. This means that for Friday night all park campgrounds except Cottonwood Campground will be fully open for normal visitor use. Cottonwood Campground will remain closed due to flood damage.

The following park areas remain closed due to flood damage:
  • Cottonwood Campground
  • Cottonwood Visitor Center
  • Cottonwood Springs
  • Black Eagle Mine Road
  • Old Dale Road
  • Pinkham Canyon Road
  • Thermal Canyon Road
  • All hiking trails originating at Cottonwood Springs
Future updates on repair of recent park storm damage will posted on the park website: http://www.nps.gov/jotr

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2011 03:26PM by eeek.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login