Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Pothole Dome (Tuolumne Meadows, Yosemite National Park)

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (83% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Valley Trailhead Parking

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

June 01, 2008 02:58PM
avatar Re: Valley Trailhead Parking
June 01, 2008 04:53PM
Last year I sort of freaked out when I saw that. Then I talked to someone at an information kiosk who said it's not always full, but they'll put that up so that those with backcountry permits have a place to park. I just went past the sign and noticed that half the lot was empty.

It may very well fill up on a weekend. However - it may be OK on a weekday.

June 01, 2008 06:28PM
I went past the sign as well. It was late enough in the day that I knew there had to be some space. Good thing there was--I was meeting a friend that I'd dropped off on Tioga Road earlier that day.

June 02, 2008 08:57AM
eeek wrote:

> I went past the sign as well. It was late enough in the day
> that I knew there had to be some space. Good thing there was--I
> was meeting a friend that I'd dropped off on Tioga Road earlier
> that day.

I saw the sign, turned back, and parked at the Valley day parking area near Yosemite Village. There's an information kiosk there, and I asked about where I should go with my backcountry parking permit with the full sign up. The volunteer told me that the issuing ranger should have mentioned that the sign may say it's full when it's not. I don't know exactly when they decide to put the sign up, but it seems to be semi-random.

Most people don't know about this, and I don't think sharing it here is going to affect how it's used. For the most part, I'd think most visitors to the Valley would rather be closer to Curry Village, Yosemite Lodge, or the Ahwahnee.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login