Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
A Yosemite bear

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (86% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Visit Yosemite, kill a bear

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Visit Yosemite, kill a bear
June 04, 2008 02:52PM
Article from the LA Times:

Visit Yosemite, kill a bear

avatar Re: Visit Yosemite, kill a bear
June 04, 2008 04:46PM
Even when driving slow you can still hit a bear. I was going about 30 MPH in Sequoia behind several cars when a bear dash in front of the car I was driving. The thud was sickening.

June 04, 2008 07:55PM
When they run directly in front of you, there's not a lot you can do, but of course the faster you're going, the better the odds that you won't be able to stop, or that they won't see/hear you coming.

I was a little surprised at the stats in the back of the 'Death in Yosemite' book, near the end. In a place with raging rivers, thousand(s) foot drops, no-escape waterfalls, rockfalls, places to get lost in snow, wild animals, people climbing straight up faces like El Cap and Half Dome, and a 35mph speed limit in most areas, what is the biggest cause of deaths?

Motor vehicle accidents. At 35, you'd practically have to do a head-on, or drive over a cliff to cause death, but 159 deaths 1851-2006 from motor vehicle accidents (and I really doubt there were a whole lot before 1900 8^)

Drowning is next with 144, then hiking and scrambling with 122, followed by big wall climbing at 104. Those all make sense, over 150+ years, but why are people getting in fatal traffic accidents at 35mph? (or maybe 45 on Tioga, I forget). Or, why are so many bears killed? The answer can usually be found in your rear view mirror, if you try to keep anywhere near the speed limit.

Gary
Yosemite Photo Galleries: http://www.pbase.com/roberthouse/yo
June 04, 2008 07:02PM
wow! i had no idea that many bears were hit by cars.
June 04, 2008 07:04PM
Shocking message from my country.
In the Polish mountain three tourists have killed brown bear.
It has come for killing in area of Chocholowska Valley 21 october last year Three tourists has not admitted before court for blame.
They explained in the course of process, that they have been hit at by bear (1/2 year old) and they have drowned him in flow, in personal defense!
"They have drowned him in personal defense"!!
I apologize for my compatriots.

Post Edited (06-04-08 19:06)
June 04, 2008 09:16PM
People speed in the park going 50-60mph in the 35mph zones, pass on curves over double yellow lines, and tailgate. I've been nearly hit head-on by an idiot passing on a hairpin turn and have seen a couple of cars go off the road on curves.

Old Dude
June 04, 2008 10:04PM
Without fail I have to put the right-side tires almost off the pavement to avoid these jerks, especially in the parts of the valley that have two lanes. Amazing how anyone could be in such a hurry when there's so much to see out your windshield.

I've only seen one bear alongside the road in the vicinity of Bridalveil Fall but I also have had to wait behind a herd of deer crossing the bridge from Curry to the village (can't remember the name of the bridge).

Once past the 120/140 merge in the park I never go over 25 mph.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login