Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (58% of Full)

Advanced

Re: upper pines site too small?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

upper pines site too small?
June 10, 2008 11:20AM
I have a reservation for two nights at the upper pines campsite 169 which has a max length of 24'. I rented an RV and ended up with a 30' RV. Will I still be able to use the site or will the Ranger make me leave? Any thoughts or ideas?
avatar Re: upper pines site too small?
June 10, 2008 11:22AM
June 10, 2008 11:25AM
it says the driveway length is 34'5'" which gives me hope, but that rock to the right and tree to the left make me nervous ;-)
June 10, 2008 11:26AM
Just one of the reasons I like tents winking smiley

June 10, 2008 11:29AM
I'm new to the RV thing. I always tent camp but I have two kids with me so I decided not to bring it all with me on the plane ride from Chicago. I'll give it a try and if it doesn't work out, I'll head back to Yosemite Pines where I am now.
June 10, 2008 02:56PM
Don't they make tent-sized RVs?
June 10, 2008 03:57PM
Vince wrote:

> Don't they make tent-sized RVs?

Only if you are talking circus tents.

June 11, 2008 02:34PM
Camping gear can be rented from places like REI.
June 11, 2008 04:39PM
RobE wrote:

> Camping gear can be rented from places like REI.

Tends to be rather expensive. I priced how much it cost to rent a backpack, and I didn't think it was worth it. I'm sure they factor the cost of cleaning into the price of rentals.

You can buy tents and sleeping bags fairly cheap that are perfectly acceptable for car camping. I'd think for less than $150 I could find a tent, sleeping bags, and pillows for 2 adults and 2 kids. If it's for a short stay, it wouldn't even have to last. It could then be donated to some charity on the way out.

June 11, 2008 11:14PM
The length limitations are probably a maneuvaribility issue. Those inside sites tend to be smaller, and a lot of RV's have to spend time trying to shoehorn their way in (the campground wasn't built to accomodate them). I don't know that the host or ranger at the kiosk will measure your RV, but built the way they are (one-way loops) an RV trying to get in a spot too small blocks the whole loop until they get in or give up.

If you can get it backed in there, I seriously doubt that a ranger would make you leave unless it sticks out into the road.

Since you already have an RV spot near Yosemite, it may not be worth the trouble, especially if they have any transportation into the park from where you are.

Or, as others said, a cheap tent and sleeping bags (I'd throw in air mattresses too) wouldn't cost a lot, and is a nice way to experience Yosemite, even in the Valley campgrounds; but unless you have a car in addition to the RV, that may not be practical.

Gary
Yosemite Photo Galleries: http://www.pbase.com/roberthouse/yo
June 14, 2008 02:21PM
All great suggestions and believe me I will consider them next time. As for the site, it was a success! The RV fit in with plenty of room to spare. The rangers did not seem strict at all. There were sites all around me with 3-4 tents some with an RV too! Camping at the Upper Pines down in the valley was a great experience. I'm so happy it worked out.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login