Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Nevada Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (78% of Full)

JanSport - Accept no Imitations. The Original Backpack since 1967.

Advanced

Re: Zion

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Zion
January 31, 2012 11:59AM
We are going to Zion in March and I cannot find a forum like this one for that park. Anyone know of one?
Thanks.
January 31, 2012 12:40PM
madmxe
We are going to Zion in March and I cannot find a forum like this one for that park. Anyone know of one?
Thanks.

I don't know of a Zion forum. But feel free to ask questions here.
January 31, 2012 02:13PM
Not a forum, but a great guide to some of the hikes:

http://www.citrusmilo.com/zionguide/recommend.cfm
January 31, 2012 06:57PM
I may be able to help; i have been to zion before smiling smiley pretty recently actually

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2012 06:59PM by marmot.
January 31, 2012 07:41PM
Awesome place, Zion. Yosemite in sandstone, imo. Angels Landing (aka Half Dome-like hike and exposures with half the hiking distances), Hidden Canyon and Subway are all favorites. Drive out to the east entrance for some nice change of scenery...we saw some California Condors there a couple of years ago. And the Narrows, of course, although probably not doable this time of year? Anyway, have fun!
I am also looking to head sort of that direction...Moab, Arches and Canyonland the end of March...so I am open to suggestions for forums on that areas as well!
January 31, 2012 07:54PM
We like to do 10 to 14 mile day hikes,3000 ft gain or so. We were there 5 years ago and just started our hiking careers. It seems like most of the hikes were shorter or backpacking hikes.
Its really great to get up to date info from a forum like this instead of reading a trip report from someone who hiked a trail years ago.
Angels Landing is something we want to do as long as there is no ice.
I have read you can go a few miles up the narrows before the river gets deep so if anyone has done this hike would love to hear more. Conflicting info on the web on that one.
Thanks!

And great link BBB.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2012 07:55PM by madmxe.
February 01, 2012 09:26AM
It is not like this forum, but have you tried this: http://www.zionnational-park.com/zion-chat.htm It is interesting but if you google chat sites for Zion most of them are for dating.

Hiking Angels Landing is a must if the weather is nice and it is not icy. I am not sure how doing the Narrows will be at that time of the year. We did see people going up when we were there Thanksgiving weekend. You can always call Zion Adventures or look at their web site. www.zionadventures.com for information.

Where are you staying? If you want stay at the lodge in the park, stay in the cabins. For less than what you pay in Yosemite, you can get a redecorated, nice size room with a porch, and my favorite thing, a fireplace.
February 01, 2012 11:09AM
Where are you staying?

We are staying in a place in Springdale. Like walking to dinner in the evening. We want to check out real estate in the area for potential retirement home.
Does anyone here live around Yosemite? We kind of like Oakhurst but havent really checked it out.
Thanks for the ideas.
February 01, 2012 05:00PM
We have been going to Zion every Thanksgiving for 9 years plus a few summer visits and love it. Springdale is a nice town and people are friendly and they do have good places to eat. If you get tired of being in a small town, an hour away is St. George. St. George has really grown since the first time we went in the late 80's and it has become quite a retirement place. As much as we like the area we could never retire there because of the summer heat. We are heat wimps!

My retirement dream would be to convert one of the Ahwahnee cottages into a cabin or live in the old Superintendent's house on Cook's Meadow but that is not going to happen. LOL
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login