Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (86% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Self Arrest with Ice Axe on Flattop Mountain

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Self Arrest with Ice Axe on Flattop Mountain
April 11, 2012 12:27AM
I hiked up Flattop Mountain this evening and learned self arrest with Ice Axe.

On my way down I slipped and slid about 20 feet before regaining control. Later on, I did some glissading. I slid from about where the big dog is to where I took this picture. After my slide, a couple of the more experienced in our group went back up to help the others. The final summit literally felt like walking up a very steep stairwell. There were already footsteps kicked in at most places.

Zoom in and there are a couple up near the summit

My office in the city is 25 minutes away.
avatar Re: Self Arrest with Ice Axe on Flattop Mountain
April 11, 2012 05:38PM
Love the first photo.
The dog on the top is probably going "AMATUERS!"

Tanks for sharon

Chick-on is looking at you!
April 11, 2012 06:17PM
That dog is AWESOME. I've been on a few hikes with it already (and the owner!) and it made me appreciate how great it is to have a dog with you on a hike. Do you see the second smaller dog-he was great also.

The picture is on our way back down. The guy in the blue jacket is headed back up using my ice axe to help the others. It truly is amazing how steep that is. It will be an interesting summer hike on scree.

This is only a three mile hike with 1350 elevation gain but the snow is liking hiking in the sand. I'm feeling pretty good about snow hiking after I got a very nice compliment about my self arrest when I fell. I'll do a lot more glissading before the snow melts.
April 12, 2012 09:41PM
One more picture:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2012 09:45PM by chicagocwright.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login