Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (73% of Full)

JanSport - Accept no Imitations. The Original Backpack since 1967.

Advanced

Re: Airline rules for backpacks?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Airline rules for backpacks?
August 24, 2008 01:20AM
Sorry to place this question here but it's pertinant to a planned Yosemite trip next year. Does anyone know if airlines have prohibitions regarding backpacker's small gas cylinders on checked baggage? I'll be flying into Reno and using Lee Vining as a base for Tioga Road trailheads. I don't want to have to search for a gas cylinder in a small town nor do I want to drive all the way to the store in Curry Village for that purpose. Thanks.

Jim

avatar Re: Airline rules for backpacks?
August 24, 2008 01:41AM
Jim,
I would advise against trying to get any flammables on an aircraft, checked bag or otherwise. There are stores in Lee Vining that will carry gas for all types of stoves due to the backpacking traffic that goes through there. The store at Tuolumne Meadows has most fuel types also. Be sure though that your stove is not some really wierd model.

Old Dude
August 24, 2008 01:48AM
Mike,

My stove is a very old Bluet S 200 that uses the standard 4" high gas cylinders still available today. If there are indeed such supplies available in Lee Vining that's certainly the way I will go. Thanks for the info.

Jim

August 24, 2008 01:54AM
That canister is pretty much available everywhere.

Old Dude
August 24, 2008 04:51AM
mrcondron wrote:

> Jim,
> I would advise against trying to get any flammables on an
> aircraft, checked bag or otherwise. There are stores in Lee
> Vining that will carry gas for all types of stoves due to the
> backpacking traffic that goes through there. The store at
> Tuolumne Meadows has most fuel types also. Be sure though that
> your stove is not some really wierd model.

Flammable? After the ValueJet fiasco and the Sept 11 attacks, you can't even bring in any sizeable pressured gas canister. Anything containing propane, butane, or other flammable gases/liquids is specifically prohibited. Canisters designed for compressed gas must be empty with the valves fully opened.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1187.shtm

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login