Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tenaya Lake, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (72% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Black bear chases off marijuana farmers in Utah

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Black bear chases off marijuana farmers in Utah
September 03, 2008 09:46AM
September 04, 2008 03:44AM
They need to breed this bear and get a lot more out there. Much safer and more pleasant to run across a few bears than a few pot farmers, plus they belong there, the 'farmers' don't.

Gary
Yosemite Photo Galleries: http://www.pbase.com/roberthouse/yo
September 04, 2008 09:37AM
True, the farmers don't belong there, because Americans should be allowed to farm on their own land. Then we could tax their products and solve our nation's financial problems without impacting the wilderness in a negative way.
avatar Re: Black bear chases off marijuana farmers in Utah
September 04, 2008 09:55AM
Mixolydian wrote:

> True, the farmers don't belong there, because Americans should
> be allowed to farm on their own land. Then we could tax their
> products and solve our nation's financial problems without
> impacting the wilderness in a negative way.

One way to end our states budget crisis!!

just saying!!

Post Edited (09-04-08 16:56)

Dan
September 04, 2008 09:49AM
These sounds like the dumbest pot growers I've heard of. Most of the ones I've heard of who go through the effort to use fertilizers and complex irrigation are heavily armed. They're prepared to shoot it out with law enforcement. Makes me wonder why they didn't just shoot the bear.
September 04, 2008 07:34PM
y_p_w wrote:

> Makes me wonder why they didn't just shoot the bear.

Maybe because shooting a bear is a bad idea? Often it just makes them very angry.

September 05, 2008 12:22AM
eeek wrote:

> y_p_w wrote:
>
> > Makes me wonder why they didn't just shoot the bear.
>
> Maybe because shooting a bear is a bad idea? Often it just
> makes them very angry.

A black bear? In Yosemite, bears are tranquilized and collared. I've woken up from the sound of pyrotechnics designed to scare off black bears. I hear they get shot with rubber bullets and bean bag guns. That's mild compared to what organized drug criminals are willing to do. I've read about one grower who kept a journal documenting the killing of hundreds of deer. They were likely munching on the "product".

The big time marijuana growers I hear of have more than just fertilizer and growing equipment. I've heard of many armed with rifles, shotguns, and sometimes automatic weapons. Many pot farmers have no compunction about shooting at someone wandering onto their illegal farm, or even shooting it out with law enforcement if pressed. You'd think that someone willing to do that wouldn't hesitate to pump a black bear with a Kalashnikov. The more skilled ones might even use a shotgun or a hunting rifle.

September 05, 2008 04:58PM
Interestingly enough, people who made and sold alcohol used to be armed to the teeth and had no compunction about shooting at someone wandering into their illegal distilleries. And then prohibition ended and all that stopped. Strange...you'd think we would have learned something from our history.
September 06, 2008 03:11AM
Mixolydian wrote:

> Strange...you'd think
> we would have learned something from our history.

Reminds me of an Albert Einstein quote that goes something like this:
Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
September 06, 2008 02:28AM
If you think loud, drunk campers in the valley are bad, imagine a bunch of loud, drunk, high on dope campers in the valley.
September 06, 2008 02:29AM
Vince wrote:

> If you think loud, drunk campers in the valley are bad, imagine
> a bunch of loud, drunk, high on dope campers in the valley.

Imagine a bunch of loud, drunk, high on dope bears in the Valley!

September 06, 2008 03:28AM
>If you think loud, drunk campers in the valley are
>bad, imagine a bunch of loud, drunk, high on
>dope campers in the valley.

The truth of the matter is, people who are high on marijuana are most likely to be more quiet and mellow. It's not like smoking pot makes people act loud and obnoxious like drinking alcohol does. Not all intoxication is equal.

Another truth of the matter is there are already lots of people smoking in the valley and throughout the park, and most of them have probably never done anything to ruin your fun.

>Insanity is doing the same thing over and over
>again and expecting a different result.

Yes, prohibition is a good application of that statement. It's astounding how many neo-prohibitionists want to do the same old thing, only to fail because it's what they are doing that is causing 99% of the problems that they are wanting to solve.

Post Edited (09-06-08 10:32)
September 06, 2008 01:25PM
Mixolydian wrote:
> Another truth of the matter is there are already lots of people
> smoking in the valley and throughout the park, and most of them
> have probably never done anything to ruin your fun.

I hear in the late '60's and '70's there was a big influx of Haight-Ashbury refugees, and of course lots of dope in the valley.

If I had a choice of camping next to a bunch of drunks (which we all too often have the "opportunity" to do), or a bunch of pot smokers, in general it wouldn't be a hard decision...however...

Not being a fan of using any drugs, including booze, I kind of wonder why one would go to Yosemite and then need to get high (and I don't mean by going up the Half Dome cables...8^). I mean if you can't function in a place like Yosemite and enjoy it without getting loaded, drunk, stoned, whatever, that's pretty sad.

Now and then on the Mt. Whitney board I read of several of the members who go to great lengths to bring booze with them backpacking, and again, seems like a shame they can't enjoy themselves, doing something they supposedly love, with everything "real". Besides the undesirable safety and physical effect issues.

Gary
Yosemite Photo Galleries: http://www.pbase.com/roberthouse/yo
September 07, 2008 12:45AM
Another Albert Einstien quote: "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"!

Jim

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login