Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (78% of Full)

Advanced

Steve Fossett items found near Mammoth Lakes

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Steve Fossett items found near Mammoth Lakes
October 01, 2008 03:53PM
Apparently some aviation records, a bit of clothing and 10 $100 bills were found near the Minarets a few miles west of Mammoth Mountain.

LA Times article here.

I hope they find more before the bad weather sets in, several inches of snow are predicted for this weekend.

avatar Re: Steve Fossett items found near Mammoth Lakes
October 01, 2008 04:18PM
Re: Steve Fossett items found near Mammoth Lakes
October 02, 2008 05:57PM
I've seen this posted, and guess I should know who he is. but guess I don't pay enough attention to something. It's good they found him though, at least it ends any wondering by friends and relatives what happened.

Looks like he carried a bit of pocket change though...I guess you never know when you'll need the cash to spend a night at the Ahwahnee.

Gary
Yosemite Photo Galleries: http://www.pbase.com/roberthouse/yo
October 05, 2008 12:41PM
A search-and-rescue member named Bob Rockwell, who frequents the Whitney Portal Store web site, posted several photos of the recovery effort near The Minarets, which are just east of Yosemite Park's boundary.

Photos and narrative here.
October 06, 2008 11:38AM
Park Staff Assist In Fossett Aircraft Crash Recovery Operation

On October 1st, a hiker contacted the Mono County Sheriff’s Department and showed officers a pilot’s license and about $1,000 in cash that he’d found scattered on the ground while hiking in the Inyo National Forest near Devils Post Pile NM. The license belonged to Steve Fossett, the noted American businessman and adventurer who disappeared just over a year ago while flying a Bellanca Super Decathalon airplane from a private airstrip just over the border in Nevada. The discovery sparked resurgence in the search for Fossett, who had intended on taking only a short flight in the Decathalon and had not filed any flight plan. A huge search had been conducted for him, but no trace of his aircraft was found and the search was eventually suspended. Yosemite was asked to provide mutual aid assistance in the search for the plane, and ranger Matt Stark located the crash site from the park’s Helicopter 551 around 6 p.m.

The landing zone providing access to the accident site was in alpine terrain at over 10,200 feet, limiting the type of helicopter that could safely operate there. On October 2nd and 3rd, the National Park Service again supplied Helicopter 551 and personnel for the recovery operation. Park staff helped the Madera County Sheriff’s Department with the recovery of Fossett’s remains and assisted the NTSB investigator. They also helped Inyo National Forest personnel with the removal and cleanup of the accident site, which is in a designated wilderness.

October 07, 2008 01:34AM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login