Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome from the Four Mile Trail to Glacier Point, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (83% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Bear Activity

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

November 04, 2008 05:55PM
Many bears that were out of the Valley in late September and early October returned in the past two weeks. This week there has been an increase in the number of bears and in bear activity in Yosemite Valley with many sightings in and around campgrounds, residential areas, and lodging facilities. Please clip dumpsters and ensure that all of your food is safely stored so that a bear will not be able to get it. If you are visiting the park please use bear lockers or keep your food in your hotel room with you. Do not leave food in your vehicle, or outside unattended. If you are a resident of the park, please remember to keep your home secure when you are away. Do not leave windows open and check to make sure thatall doors are secure.

Please remember that even though it is getting colder outside, bears are still active.

Re: Bear Activity
November 05, 2008 07:56PM
While at Upper Pines last week, a camp near mine had a bear come in at dinnertime, climb up on the table, and walk of with their food (chips I think). I guess they were new at this and didn't do what they were supposed to...the bear found some pushovers 8^).

I also saw a young one up at Mirror Lake trying to get into the bearproof trash can. He did succeed in pulling out a lot of the plastic bag liner, but that's about it.

They definitely have been busy. My last morning there, I heard the bear trap spring about 2-3 AM, and when I got up in the morning and looked out on the road to see, another bear was right there walking along. The one in the trap didn't seem too happy.

So keep everything stashed safely, and remember to make a racket if one comes to visit your camp.

Gary
Yosemite Photo Galleries: http://www.pbase.com/roberthouse/yo
November 06, 2008 06:19PM
Those Valley bears have become quite aggressive. I liked the one at Yosemite Creek Campground a lot better:

http://yosemitephotos.net/main.php/v/yosemite/old-bear.tif.html

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login