Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tuolumne Meadows and Lembert Dome during a summer storm, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (55% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Upper Pines site availability New Years'

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Upper Pines site availability New Years'
December 15, 2008 02:44PM
I'm thinking of bringing the family to camp at Upper Pines after Christmas.

A few years ago we had reservations but now I see on Recreation.gov that the sites show "First Come". We have a small trailer so which site we get isn't too critical.

Should I worry about the sites all being taken?

Thanks,

Jim
Long Beach

Jim
Camping/Backpacking/Skiing/Cycling FANATIC
Hobbies interrupted by two kids,
now slowly being resumed.
Long Beach, CA
December 15, 2008 07:05PM
The last 2-3 years they've quit taking winter reservations, and I was worried at first, but have never had any problem with site availability. However, I've never gone up camping the week after Christmas, so I really can't say "absolutely not, no worry!". As demand lessens, they close the loops further up, and they always seem to have plenty.

With this current storm, and a predicted one next week, the campground will be pretty damp and cold, which will keep most people away. I'd suggest bringing a snowshovel if you have one. They do clear them out when heavy snow hits, but it takes a while, and you may want to improve on their work...

I'm a tent camper and when I go up in midwinter and hit a snowstorm, I usually chicken out and head to Mariposa or Oakhurst, and drive in for the daytime (the lodge always seems to double its prices for some reason). But a trailer should give you a warm dry refuge. And if you wake up after a snowy night, there's nothing like an early morning valley walk with fresh snow. Enjoy your trip. Bring chains.

Gary
Yosemite Photo Galleries: http://www.pbase.com/roberthouse/yo
December 15, 2008 07:26PM
Thanks Gary.

When our daughter was born 8 years ago this week I came to grips with reality and figured there's no way that we would be tent camping in the winter with a baby. The next year we bought a "Chalet" brand folding trailer. Since then we've enjoyed all sorts of weather and stayed cozy warm with the furnace blowing. Six feet by eleven feet gets pretty cramped with four of us cooped up though so Yosemite is great in the winter. We went up a few years ago (kids were 4 & 2) and had two days of rain on soggy valley snow. Not much fun normally but in Yosemite we had the advantage of various visitor centers and the Ahwahnee's big public spaces to hang out in.

Jim
Camping/Backpacking/Skiing/Cycling FANATIC
Hobbies interrupted by two kids,
now slowly being resumed.
Long Beach, CA
avatar Re: Upper Pines site availability New Years'
December 15, 2008 08:29PM
My experience is the same as SierraFan. I've not had a problem in getting a site - in fact during my trip last January there were plenty of sites available.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login