Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (84% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Half Dome May 23 to 26

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Half Dome May 23 to 26
May 10, 2005 07:28AM
I'm flying in to the area on the 21st of May and was wondering if their is any way that the half dome cables will be up by then? I will be in the park for about 5 or so days.

Also do you think that Glacier Point road will be open? I realize that they have only cleared 6.4 miles past Badger Pass, but how much more is their to clear?

Thanks in advance!

Post Edited (05-10-05 08:31)
avatar Re: Half Dome May 23 to 26
May 10, 2005 01:07PM
The current plan is to put the cables up just before Memorial Day weekend and that's only if conditions permit it.

May 11, 2005 04:46AM
Thanks,
I guess I just have to pray that the conditions cooperate. I really want to do this hike.
Thanks for the info
May 12, 2005 04:20AM
I and a friend are planning on hiking Half Dome that Wednesday or Thursday. We were told that the cables are always there. It's only the poles that are taken down. As long as there is not a lot of ice or snow on half dome, you should be able to climb using the cables without the poles. It just means a little extra upper body work.
May 12, 2005 08:30AM
I'm there with my wife until Wednesday, but my wife is not into doing the hike. If I could find others doing it I would head up. I'm in yosemite more to climb but I really wanted to do this hike. It would be awesome if I could hook up with some other people to do this. Let me know if your interested in hooking up.
May 12, 2005 09:24AM
Wednesday is doable. I have to check with my wife and my hiking buddy. We plan on leaving from the trail head parking near Happy Isle just past Curry Village. I hope we are hiking no later than 7:00 am. Since I am used to getting up at 5:00 am east coast time, being ready at 7 west coast shouldn't be a problem.

My hiking partner is in excellent physical shape. Unfortunately, thanks to tax season, I will probably be the slow one in the group. It may be next week before I can really make the time and date definate. I want to see what the weather is going to be like before we nail down a day. We could do it anywhere from Monday to Thursday. Wednesday would give us a couple of days to get acclimated to the elevation.
May 12, 2005 09:50AM
Cool
I'm an Eastcoaster too, so I'll be up early no matter what. I'll be staying in camp 4 from Monday to Thursday morning, but we're leaving Thursday morning for the coast.

From the webcam it looks like their is still alot of snow up top, but the camera dosen't show the face that you actully climb. So I don't know if their will be more on that side or less??

Wednesday would be perfect, but I can go whichever day looks best for weather. Just let me know what you decide and I'll meet you guys at the trail head.

I'm in great physical shape, but from what I've heard this is the test.

I hope this works out!!

Post Edited (05-12-05 09:52)
May 17, 2005 04:18AM
Lets plan on meeting at the trailhead parking lot just past the Upper Pines campground at about 6:30 am on Wednesday 25th. If your looking at the Valley Map on yosemitepark.com, its between number 15 and 16 on the right hand end of the map.

My name is Kevin Kelley and my hiking partner is Brad Ascar. We will be driving a minivan. Its a rental, so I don't know the make yet. I am about 5' 9'', on the heavy side, and I have a full beard. I will also probably be wearing an Auburn University baseball cap. I am looking forward to meeting you.
May 17, 2005 06:13AM
That sounds good. Have you heard anymore about the snow condition at the top of Half Dome? I found some aerial pictures from a climbing webpage that a guy took on May 13th

The weather is looking good. I'll see you there.
This is me (Sorry, only picture I had online right now)

If Half Dome is snow in, do you have any other big hikes that you want ed to do??
May 17, 2005 06:40AM
I didn't have any other big hikes in mind. This is "the hike" that everyone wants to do. For the next week, Yosemite Valley will consistantly have temperatures in the 70's. (possibly one or two days in the 80's). Also, it will be very sunny. Hopefully, this will take care of any snow or ice problem.

See you there.
May 17, 2005 07:08AM
Cool
I'll see ya on Wednesay 6:30am
Oh ay my name is Dave Porter
See ya then
May 19, 2005 04:48AM
I just talked to my friend that is working in the valley and he said that the word is Half Dome is very snowy. Not just the top but the approach as well. I guess we'll find out more once we're there? But from what he's saying Half Dome is a no go!
May 19, 2005 09:01AM
I guess we deal with what's there when we get there. I don't really have any other hikes in mind. I will go as far as the conditions will allow. We take our best shot at it and that's all we can do.
May 19, 2005 11:11AM
Just got a call from the Yosemite Association (I'm staying at Little Yosemite Memorial Weekend) and they said that the Park Service gave them an approximate date for Half Dome of June 16th. He said that Little Yosemite (6100') will be more or less snow-free, but that as soon as you head up the trail (NPS website puts the snow line at 6500') it is pretty snowed in.

He did recommend Merced Lakes for a day hike from Little Yosemite, not sure how far this is from Happy Isles or Glacier.
May 19, 2005 11:23AM
I'm not sure what I want to do know? I'll be doing a lot of climbing while I'm there, Half Dome is the only hike I really wanted to do. I might hike up Yosemite falls?
May 19, 2005 11:29AM
Here's my suggestion. Nevada Falls is about the halfway point on Half Dome. It is below 6,000 feet, so snow should not be a problem for it. By itself, it is supposed to be a great hike. You could do Nevada in the morning and Yosemite Falls in the afternoon. The two combined are a couple of miles and 800 or so feet of elevation below the total output of Half Dome.

You end up doing two good hikes instead of one great hike. Just and idea. I will talk to my buddy this afternoon and see what he thinks we aught to do. I would at least like to hike to Nevada Falls even if that is as far as we can go.
avatar Re: Half Dome May 23 to 26
May 19, 2005 03:57PM
You might like the Snow Creek trail (out of Mirror Lake). It should be clear of snow to the top and from there you should be able to make it to North Dome.

May 20, 2005 05:19AM
I'm game for that. I'll meet you guys at 6:30 at the trail head and we'll go at least to the top of Nevada falls.
See ya then
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login