Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome from the Four Mile Trail to Glacier Point, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (74% of Full)

Advanced

Child Dies From Gunshot In Yellowstone Campground

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Child Dies From Gunshot In Yellowstone Campground
September 09, 2013 11:00AM
A young girl was fatally injured as a result of an incident which occurred in a park campground early on Saturday morning. Park rangers responded to a 911 call from a woman at the Grant Village Campground who told the emergency dispatcher that her three-year-old daughter had just shot herself with a handgun. Resuscitation efforts by responding emergency medical staff were unsuccessful. The incident remains under investigation.
avatar Re: Child Dies From Gunshot In Yellowstone Campground
September 09, 2013 12:12PM
The stupid parents should be shot. Idiots like that need to be severely punished for, bringing a gun in the first place, for having it where a child could get it, for having it loaded, and for just being idiots.
Re: Child Dies From Gunshot In Yellowstone Campground
September 10, 2013 07:04AM
Dave
The stupid parents should be shot. Idiots like that need to be severely punished
Shot first, then severely punished; or vice versa? An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2013 06:32AM by snorkus.
September 09, 2013 01:48PM
Guns are illegal in national parks, right?
September 09, 2013 04:00PM
hotrod4x5
Oh, they're legal, firing one is illegal, leaving it where a child can get ahold of it is about as stupid as one can get. I bet he now understands that having a gun is more likely to kill a family member than protect the family.
September 09, 2013 05:36PM
hotrod4x5

Not since the morons in congress changed the law as part of an unrelated bill.
September 09, 2013 11:17PM
eeek
hotrod4x5

Ever since that ill-advised legislation was passed, I have been in hopes that Congress would rescind it. I have always felt that most of the public are out of their element in the Nation's parks and firearms should either be left at home or declared/sealed at the entrance. I have also yet to learn as to whether a park's jurisdiction authority - exclusive, concurrent or proprietary - has any bearing on this particular enactment. Finally, the set of facts on this incident are still developing and I prefer to not rush to judgment until I learn more.
September 12, 2013 06:53AM
Dearborn
eeek
hotrod4x5

Ever since that ill-advised legislation was passed, I have been in hopes that Congress would rescind it. I have always felt that most of the public are out of their element in the Nation's parks and firearms should either be left at home or declared/sealed at the entrance. I have also yet to learn as to whether a park's jurisdiction authority - exclusive, concurrent or proprietary - has any bearing on this particular enactment. Finally, the set of facts on this incident are still developing and I prefer to not rush to judgment until I learn more.

Jurisdictional authority probably has nothing to do with it. It was a blanket policy that allowed NPS to ban the public from carrying firearms, and regardless of whether it's exclusive or concurrent jurisdiction, the feds were allowed to enforce the regulation.

As a matter of law, this allows the underlying state law to apply. In California, loaded open carry of firearms is still allowed in most unincorporated areas unless declared a "non-discharge area" by county ordinance. I don't necessarily see the need to do so in some populated unincorporated areas. I for one live in such a place, although I'm not sure how the law applies. The whole idea is that rural areas are different, but the law can't really judge what's rural, but unincorporated areas are clearly delineated on a map. Yosemite Village sure as heck isn't rural. Neither are places like Castro Valley, California.

Supposedly the open carry of firearms has become an issue with federal law enforcement. The Sheriff of El Dorado County recently rescinded the authority he granted for Forest Service law enforcement to enforce state and local laws within his county, as required by California Penal Code 830.8. The talk I hear is that they would go crazy handing out tickets for minor violations that the sheriff's department would typically just issue a warning or let slide. Another supposed issue was that they were harassing people who were open carrying firearms. Now I'm not sure how this affects the officers or if they still technically have authority to enforce state laws as granted by the sheriffs of other California counties (Eldorado NF is in three counties). NPS rangers have a specific exemption that allows them to enforce state and local laws without permission of local law enforcement as long as they in their federal duties, but that apparently doesn't apply for other agencies such as the Forest Service, BLM, or even US Park Police. Even so, I understand that sheriffs and chiefs of police often deputize NPS LE rangers anyways. This became an issue when NPS rangers detained a couple of kids for a pot violation off NPS land (in Point Reyes Station) and where one ranger proceeded to pepper spray a couple of kids (friends of the detained) who asked what they were doing. The Marin County Sheriff's Dept issued a statement that they only deputized them to allow them to enforce state laws (like speeding or running a stop sign) on NPS property. This ranger was also a piece of work. He was sued for spraying water intentionally at motorcyclists riding on the street in front of his home and as part of the settlement he agreed to leave the area. The last I heard, he was working in Mineral King in Sequoia NP before transferring to a Forest Service position and finally retiring.
avatar Yellowstone Weekend Shooting Victim Identified
September 10, 2013 12:49AM
Officials at Yellowstone National Park have released the identity of the young girl who died from a gunshot wound on Saturday. The victim has been identified as 3 year old Ella Marie Tucker from Pocatello, Idaho. Park rangers and an ambulance responded to the Grant Village Campground in response to a 911 call for help from a woman who told the emergency dispatcher her daughter had just shot herself with a handgun.Efforts by emergency responders to resuscitate the girl were unsuccessful.

National Park Service rangers and special agents continue to investigate the circumstances surrounding the Saturday morning incident.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login