Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (59% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Old Tioga Road

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Old Tioga Road
October 21, 2013 12:11PM
Has anyone ever hiked the section of the Old Tioga Road between Hodgdon Meadow and Tuolumne Grove?? Worth the time??
October 21, 2013 12:47PM
I've driven that. Worth it to hike? Guess it depends on what you are looking for.
October 21, 2013 01:16PM
sierracanon
Has anyone ever hiked the section of the Old Tioga Road between Hodgdon Meadow and Tuolumne Grove?? Worth the time??

The Tuolumne Grove is the main attraction, if not the only, on the road.

The round trip is about 7+ miles with about 1600' elevation change each way. Not trivial.

Options:

From Crane flat hike down and hitch back to car or hike the opposite direction for a more fulfilling hiking experience.

Find another group in the campground that wants to do the hike and drive to Crane Flat, hike down, and then retrieve the car at Crane Flat.

Drive to Crane Flat and hike to the Tuolumne Grove and back to Crane Flat.

Old Dude
October 22, 2013 07:12AM
Old Guy.
Gem along the road is Hodgden Meadow itself. Probably a zillion peeps camp at Hodgden Mdw...
and a zillion-10 have not seen the Meadow.

Chick-on is looking at you!
October 21, 2013 01:21PM
That's not the OTR, that's the Old Big Oak Flat Road (the OTR goes out through Aspen Valley, up through White Wolf, crosses over the current road, heads down towards Yose Creek CG and then heads up to May Lake and beyond (east of there I can't do off the top of my head!).

There are a number of old road junkies on this site (including me) and I can promise you that "worth it" is a very relative term. The various old roads vary in condition from still suitable for (and, in fact, for part of the year, open to) cars to crawling on your hands and knees underneath manzanita wondering if you're even on the road any more. "Worth it" for me includes (but is by no means limited to)
  • being able to do a day hike from the Valley on Memorial Day weekend and not encounter a single human being
  • the satisfaction of discovering badly obscured sections of the road
  • a sense of being transported back in time
  • finding surprisingly little known paths, which (when not overgrown) are wide, rarely steep and go through some stunning scenery.
  • the opportunity to find stunning examples of 19th c. craftsmanship in stone retaining walls, built with no mortar, that have wintered almost 150 Yosemite winters with surprisingly little damage

As far as the stretch in question, there's a few miles in the middle of it that I've not yet gotten to (was going to do it on my trip last month but the Rim Fire closed that area). Based on the parts I have covered there, it's one of the "still drivable" (although no longer open to the public) sections and so a very easy hike (although it's uphill from Hodgdon to TG so, unless you're doing it as an out-and-back, you may prefer to go in the other direction. I've no idea if the Rim Fire impacted any of that stretch of the road.
October 21, 2013 01:28PM
Indeed, you are right. It was my error in identifying it incorrectly. Old Big Oak Flat Road was what I intended. There's not a lot of hiking out of Hodgdon Meadow, so was just looking for a decent walk nearby.
October 21, 2013 01:44PM
Another thing to consider: I'm pretty sure that area is still closed due to the Rim Fire.
October 21, 2013 01:53PM
I was just looking at that, and it appears that it is just inside the closure area, assuming the /yose website is up-to-date.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login