Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (85% of Full)

JanSport - Accept no Imitations. The Original Backpack since 1967.

Advanced

Temps at night...

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Temps at night...
March 25, 2009 09:14AM
Hi, we're camping in upper pines Apr 4-10th, I've looked at forecasts / temp ranges... down to upper 30's at night this week... but my weather site online shows me "current temps" between 3am > 6am int the low to mid 20's... are the low to mid 20's real as the lows for the night? Where are the current temps reported from and are the temps at upper pines possibly / likely to be warmer or colder than the forecasts / currrent temps reported? Is there a more accurate site to get current temps?
It'll make a big difference if we're preparing for low-mid 20's or upper 30's.
Thanks
March 25, 2009 09:21AM
Yes, the late wee hours can easily get into the low thirties and high twenties this time of year on the valley floor. Just make sure your sleeping bags are rated for 20 degrees or lower. Also be sure to have adequate insulation under you like a closed cell foam pad and a softer pad like a thermarest.

Old Dude
Re: Temps at night...
March 25, 2009 09:27AM
Thanks, Mike... is the Upper Pines on the valley floor or at higher elevations? Another topic quoted the Upper Pines as the "refrigerator section" of the campground... is it possible that the temps there are actually low to mid 20's (my weather site keeps showing those lower numbers for 'current temps' Do folks use tent propane heaters >> any suggestions along those lines? Thanks for the bag rating advice and the insulation under us...
March 25, 2009 09:33AM
Mark Duval wrote:

> Thanks, Mike... is the Upper Pines on the valley floor or at
> higher elevations? Another topic quoted the Upper Pines as the
> "refrigerator section" of the campground... is it possible that
> the temps there are actually low to mid 20's (my weather site
> keeps showing those lower numbers for 'current temps' Do
> folks use tent propane heaters >> any suggestions along those
> lines? Thanks for the bag rating advice and the insulation
> under us...

I think there reference was to a photo of a particular campsite in Upper Pines being in the "refrigerator section". It seems that some sites are still covered in snow/slush, while others are probably clear by now.

I'd be careful with a propane heater because of asphyxiation risk. The previous topic on the subject yielded responses that many just use them to heat up the tent fist without occupants before being turned off when the tent is to be occupied.

March 25, 2009 09:38AM
Mark,
Do not bring fire into your sleeping quarters!

The Upper Pines campground is on the valley floor but the sun doesn't shine on that area until later in the morning. In the wintery times early sunshine is a blessing, not so in the summer.

At the bottom of the page there is a link "Live Yosemite Views". Pick Ahwahnee and look in the upper left corner of the picture and you will see the temperature displayed. Since about 6am will be the coldest time of the night you should, over the next few days, be able to get a feel for how cold it will get.

The site:
http://www.yosemite.org/vryos/

Post Edited (03-25-09 12:04)

Old Dude
March 25, 2009 09:47AM
The little Coleman Sportcats are nice for a cold morning handwarmer while you get dressed, but if you bring warm clothes and have them ready for morning, it's not really necessary. The main thing is to get up and do something. Gloves and something over your ears is nice. I usually put on my down vest with a jacket over it for mornings, and my skunk hat or a knit cap, but I'm up as soon as it gets light.

The ravens make it difficult for late sleepers in tents there, but the valley is so nice early in the morning, they're doing us a favor.

Campfires are allowed in mornings through April, but if you can get by without one, it's a good idea because it's also a smoke pit at that end. Or burn quick kindling and not hardwood that smolders all morning.

Gary
Yosemite Photo Galleries: http://www.pbase.com/roberthouse/yo
March 25, 2009 09:29AM
The difficulty with a lot of weather reporting is that accuracy often depends on individual location and elevation. Upper Pines is in Yosemite Valley at about 4000 ft elevation. If you're backpacking at higher elevation, the overnight temps can be considerably lower. In addition, different services might simply have different forecasts. I may also be colder right now, but the trend might be that it gets a little warmer as we get deeper into Spring.

You're probably just better off preparing for colder temps by bringing extra layers. Maybe get some fleece sleeping bag sleeves for a little extra insulation and bring some long underwear. If you don't need them, you can just leave them in your car.

March 25, 2009 09:48AM
>If you're backpacking at higher elevation, the overnight temps can be considerably lower.

Well... actually ... it depends...

It's simple thermodynamics. Cold air falls.

So if you camp down in a valley it will be colder than if you just go up
a couple hundred feet off the floor.

One example (and I have many more) is last Dec... top of El Cap very nice...
hike down to Valley... and butt cold...
Ok, 1 more... LYV butt cold... hike up 1000ft... much warmer...

And the coldest temperature is almost always right before sunrise.
I dunno how many times I put the watch on "save mode" and then
look at the temp thru-out the night and it is just... why did I bother...
continually drops until Mr. Sun starts coming...
March 25, 2009 09:50AM
For detailed weather I always use intellicast for Yosemite National Park.
Take a look. weather.com and intellicast.com always seem to vary...
For me... I've found intellicast more reliable...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login