Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome from the Four Mile Trail to Glacier Point, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (73% of Full)

Advanced

Re: He's a fun guy

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

March 27, 2009 02:18PM
March 27, 2009 02:32PM
It is legal to pick (must be cut) edible fungi in Yosemite - up to 1 pint per person per day. Same limits apply to any number of different fruits like blackberries as long as they're consumed immediately. Apparently it's an unlimted amount of Himalayan blackberries.

I wouldn't do it though. I'd be freaked out that I might accidentally eat a death cap or destroying angel.

Post Edited (03-27-09 14:58)
March 27, 2009 05:36PM
YPW: >up to 1 pint per person per day.<

Blackberry police?

B
March 27, 2009 05:54PM
Bee wrote:

> YPW: >up to 1 pint per person per day.<
>
> Blackberry police?

Probably unenforceable. If you're picking and eating blackberries all day, where's the proof.

Seriously though - it's in the Superintendent's Compendium. Fungi have to be cut and not pulled - I suppose to protect the plant which can sprout more. They also aren't required to be "immediately consumed".

There are a few things that are different. You can't collect pine cones in Yosemite. You can collect them in the National Forest lands just outside of Yosemite.

I remember visiting the main Point Reyes visitor center and seeing a display of various fungi legally collected by a local mushroom collecting group. They had them labeled by name, including several toxic species. I think they even had a few death caps and destroying angels.
March 27, 2009 06:36PM
>You can't collect pine cones in Yosemite.

You can, but only as firewood winking smiley

March 27, 2009 07:12PM
YPW: >it's in the Superintendent's Compendium<

Superintendent's Compendium???!!

You probably did all your reading assignments in school, too winking smiley

B
March 27, 2009 07:30PM
Bee wrote:

> You probably did all your reading assignments in school, too winking smiley

Even Hawthorne?

March 27, 2009 11:35PM
Bee wrote:

> YPW: >it's in the Superintendent's Compendium<
>
> Superintendent's Compendium???!!

It's useful to find all the rules that aren't expressly spelled out in the Yosemite website.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/parkmgmt/upload/compendium-2008-2.1-all-122807.pdf

> You probably did all your reading assignments in school, too winking smiley

Moi? I was lazy in school. I rarely took notes in high school, but that didn't work out in college so I had to start.

And I've never read Hawthorne. Ever. I've read plenty of long novels, but never Hawthorne.

Now Chaucer I've read.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login