Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (60% of Full)

Advanced

Yosemite valley next Friday with kids

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Yosemite valley next Friday with kids
April 10, 2009 06:22AM
Next Friday, I'm taking my boys (10 and 6) to Yosemite for 1 day. I want to take them on 1 good hike.
From the NPS website, I see that the Mist trail is closed at the JMT.
In all my times to Yosemite, I've never taken the Yosemite Fall trail. I know they couldn't go all the way to the top of Upper Yosemite Fall. How hard is that trail to the top of the Lower Fall? Or can you not get a view of the Fall from the trail?
Any other suggestions for activities that aren't mentioned in the NPS website?
Thanks in advance.
avatar Re: Yosemite valley next Friday with kids
April 10, 2009 07:08AM
Snorkus,
Trip to bottom of the upper part of Yosemite Falls, 1+ miles and +1000 feet.
Trip to Vernal Fall, 1+ miles and +1000 feet.

I'm pretty sure the Mist Trail is open. The John Muir Trail may be closed though.
Here is a picture bill-e-g took last weekend from Sierra Point showing the ege of Vernal Fall:

Old Dude
April 10, 2009 09:57AM
mrcondron wrote:

> I'm pretty sure the Mist Trail is open.

It is.

Re: Yosemite valley next Friday with kids
April 10, 2009 09:24AM
That's a hard choice, but in a day you'll have to pick one. The Mist trail should be open all the way to Nevada Fall. The section of the John Muir Trail between Nevada Fall and Clark Point (where another trail cuts down to the Mist trail) will probably still be closed, but that lower part is an option if you didn't want to return on the Mist trail the whole distance.

The base of upper Yosemite Fall is pretty spectacular, and the view just below it, near Columbia Rock, is fantastic, which makes it a hard choice. Both trails have their difficulties; the Mist trail you'll want some rain gear, a cheap poncho or something, and/or quick dry clothing. An extra pair of socks is nice to have with you if your socks happen to get wet on that trail
http://www.pbase.com/roberthouse/image/97758180
The steps are numerous and steep,
http://www.pbase.com/roberthouse/image/61297012
and can be hard on the knees coming down, which is why sometimes the John Muir trail back is an option. Very scenic route though, all the way to Nevada Fall.

The Upper Yosemite Fall trail starts out in the shade (nice) but is an endless series of rocky switchbacks, ending at Columbia Rock about a mile up. That's where most people turn around, but if you trudge on a little way past some barren new trail, you come to the base of Upper Yosemite Fall, which is a great sight.
http://www.pbase.com/image/65194704

Overall, with only one choice, I'd probably take the Vernal/Nevada Falls hike, as it's a steady supply of amazing sights the whole distance. If you start early it will be more likely to be a pleasant uncrowded hike.

For something lighter in a different part of the day, you might enjoy a walk through the Happy Isles area; there are trails and bridges over the amazing Merced river, which should be fairly raging this time of year, and it's an easy walk but very nice.

Gary
Yosemite Photo Galleries: http://www.pbase.com/roberthouse/yo
April 10, 2009 10:04AM
I've been up there amany times, going to the top of Half Dome three times. My 10 year old made it to the top of Vernal Fall 2 years ago. I was just worried that if it is cold (on top of getting wet on the Mist trail) might make it a miserable experience, especially for my younger one. I'll play it by ear, depending on the weather.
April 14, 2009 07:38AM
Snorkus,
If you are still reading... just did the Mist trail again.. and for a 6 year old I would
hands done recommend you take him on the Mist trail as apposed to the Upper Yosemite
falls trail. Reason being is that the Mist trail has reward nearly 100% of the time and
if you only make it up to say where the rock "tunnel" is that is still a huge win and you
can congratulate him, turn around and go back to the valley.
The Yose Falls trail is in the woods and is alot of up with no views until Columbia Rock.
It's great after that but for 6 year old ... ???
Clark Pt is about 500 ft. up from Vernal so although it's great.. i'd take the kids back down
the Mist unless there is a serious issue for some reason. After Clark JMT is rather
boring compared to what you already.
And for goodness don't go up the JMT and down the Mist. A number of people were
asking us how "misty" it was and wether they should go down it.. I'd always say go
UP the Mist and if you have issue down the JMT.
Have fun
Re: Thanks all. Leaving LA in about 5 minutes.
April 17, 2009 03:00AM
My boys are excited about the Mist Trail; will be on it in about 6-7 hours.
I haven't been to Yosemite in 2 years. I'm very excited, even though it is 3 AM.
April 14, 2009 10:26AM
snorkus,

Some of the fun of the Mist Trail is trudging through the mist. It's kind of neat, actually. If you make it all the way up to Nevada Fall, taking the JMT Trail down is mostly to help out the knees.

Jim
Re: All, thanks for the help. Got back yesterday, Had a great trip.
April 19, 2009 12:55PM
My 6 year old made it, and he wanted to keep going to the top of Nevada Falls. We had lunch next to the Silver Apron above Emerald Pool. Then we took the JMT down. Boy, it seemed a lot longer than I remember; last did that portion of the JMT about 15 years ago.

They want to go to Kings Canyon. Anyone know of any forums for Kings Canyon and Sequoia?
avatar Re: All, thanks for the help. Got back yesterday, Had a great trip.
April 19, 2009 01:06PM
snorkus
They want to go to Kings Canyon. Anyone know of any forums for Kings Canyon and Sequoia?

You can probably do ok just discussing it here.
avatar Re: All, thanks for the help. Got back yesterday, Had a great trip.
April 19, 2009 08:05PM
eeek
snorkus

You can probably do ok just discussing it here.

Agreed. A number of contributers to this forum also frequent Sequoia/Kings.

However, you might also want to check out the message board / forum on the Whitney Portal Store website:
http://whitneyportalstore.com
April 19, 2009 01:17PM
That's quite an accomplishment for a six-year-old, very good. Funny that HE was the one wanting to go on to Nevada Fall 8^).

The JMT down always seems long. I enjoy the part from Nevada Fall to Clark Point, but from there to the bridge is a bit of drudgery when you're tired. Not to mention that short (!) trail from Vernal up to Clark Point that doesn't seem so short...

Gary
April 19, 2009 01:24PM
Sierrafan
The JMT down always seems long.

Funny, going up it always seemed long to me.
April 19, 2009 01:36PM
eeek
Sierrafan
The JMT down always seems long.

Funny, going up it always seemed long to me.

I'm usually headed up early in the morning all eager and refreshed, so it seems short. Coming down, especially from a longer hike, by Clark Point I'm tired and just want to get back, and those endless switchbacks seem, well, endless...8^)

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login