Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (61% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Tioga Road

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

April 19, 2009 11:37AM
Caltrans is expecting to open Tioga Road from the east to Tioga Lake by next weekend.
April 19, 2009 08:27PM
Monitor Pass is open, I also checked out 108 Sonora Pass and 4 Ebbetts Pass, they are gated off, but should be ready, I'll bet by next weekend (which is predicted to have bad weather...LOL)
May 26, 2009 09:05PM
Vince
Monitor Pass is open

I prefer Tioga Pass.
May 26, 2009 10:02PM
eeek
I prefer Tioga Pass.

The Dogwoods are in full splendor right now; the drive on Tioga road was incredibly beautiful this last weekend of 23-24 May.

Busy Bee
April 20, 2009 06:18AM
What about plowing from the west? when does that start?
April 20, 2009 12:09PM
Ray
What about plowing from the west? when does that start?

They have actually said. But from what I was told about the Glacier Road plowing I'd guess either sometime this week or the beginning of next week.
April 20, 2009 01:43PM
Still lots-o-snow. These are today's snow pillow readings. Assume a 50% density but it could be less giving a greater snow depth.
Tuolumne Meadow 7" water content. 14" snow depth
Tenaya Lake 24" water content. 48" snow depth
Gin Flat 20" water content. 40" snow depth
Ostrander 25" water content. 50" snow depth
Slide Canyon 35"water content. 70" snow depth

Old Dude
April 21, 2009 08:52AM
The Tioga Pass webcam shows plowing into the park now. Don't know where they are, but they have "breached the seal" so to speak...
April 21, 2009 12:13PM
Tioiga Road plowing is a slow process due to the avalanche danger and the fallen trees and rocks that eat plow blades. It can take a month.

Old Dude
April 21, 2009 02:00PM
The Tioga web cam shows a plowed road.
April 21, 2009 04:08PM
Ray
The Tioga web cam shows a plowed road.

That's a welcome site for those of us who don't ski over! Seems like Cal Trans always get that done early, then the Park Service plays catch-up.
April 21, 2009 04:56PM

Seems like Cal Trans always get that done early, then the Park Service plays catch-up.

NPS has less money and move avalanche areas to deal with. Caltrans has to plow 395 all winter and has plenty of equipment.
April 21, 2009 05:04PM
This site is on another post but anyway if you haven't seen it yet look at the video at the bottom of the page.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/tioga.htm

Old Dude
April 22, 2009 05:47AM
I didn't mean to disparage the Park Service Road Crew. I know they have a tough job ( and deadly) getting it open.

Every year we anxiously await...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login