Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Dogwood bloom in Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (76% of Full)

Advanced

Re: How many tents allowed in a campsite?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

How many tents allowed in a campsite?
April 20, 2009 08:17PM
Finally, after years of trying to reserve a campsite in the Valley, I finally got in! Unbelievable! 7 nights in the Lower pines! Yes! Now I am trying to get everything figured out before we go and I have already run into a problem, I think. I was told by a representative of the park system that you can only pitch one tent per campsite! You got to be kidding me! We have about 5 people going and these guys are not small, they are large individuals, linebacker sized. How are we all going to fit in one lousy tent? So what do you guys think, do I just pitch 2 or 3 tents and hope the ranger does not say anything or what? Does the park or rangers enforce this rule? Do you think they will fine me if we pitch more than one tent? I do realize that too many tents would be kind of unsightly and I'm not one for wrecking the delicate look of nature or breaking laws/rules for that matter but what are we supposed to do? We're camping for gods sakes! Anyways, is there anyone in here that knows the rules, valley, rangers well enough to give me any pointers, advise, etc on this matter? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks guys!
avatar Re: How many tents allowed in a campsite?
April 20, 2009 08:30PM
Who told you that you could only have one tent? I don't think there is any such rule and I've never seen anybody get in trouble for having more than one.
April 20, 2009 08:45PM
Campground Regulations

These are some of the camping regulations that apply throughout the park. Additional regulations may apply at each campground. Violation of these regulations may result in a fine and/or revocation of your camping permit.

* You must keep your food properly stored from bears 24 hours per day. Find out more about bears and food storage.

* In Yosemite Valley, campfires are permitted only between 5 pm and 10 pm between May 1 and October 1. At other times of the year and in out-of-Valley campgrounds, fires are permitted at any time. Fires must always be attended and put out completely with water when not attended (do not let them smolder). Firewood collection (including pine cones and pine needles) is not permitted in Yosemite Valley; you can purchase firewood at stores near the campgrounds.

* Camping or sleeping in vehicles is permitted only in designated campsites. Sleeping in vehicles is not permitted anywhere else in Yosemite.

* A maximum of six people (including children) and two vehicles are allowed per campsite. Both vehicles must be parked on the parking pad.

* There is a 30-day camping limit within Yosemite National Park in a calendar year; however, May 1 - September 15, the camping limit in Yosemite is 14 days, and only seven of those days can be in Yosemite Valley or Wawona.

* Pets are permitted in all campgrounds except Camp 4, Tamarack Flat, Porcupine Flat, and all group campsites. Pets must be on a leash and should not be left unattended. Find out more about pet regulations.

* Quiet hours are from 10 pm to 6 am; generators may be used sparingly during daylight hours.

* Camp wastewater must be disposed of in designated utility drains. Sewage must be disposed of at designated dump stations (Yosemite Valley, Wawona, and Tuolumne Meadows).

* Electrical extension cords may not be connected to campground restroom outlets.

Old Dude
April 20, 2009 08:53PM
I was informed by a representative of the park service that one tent and one camp vehicle allowed on a site. Maybe I'm reading it wrong but it looks like they are saying one tent to me, I don't know. What do you think of their answer? I asked them how many tents were allowed in a campsite. They responded with the following.....

------------------------------------------------------------------------

National Park Service: Facility/Tour Information

Discussion Thread
(Terry) 04/17/2009 02:18 PM EDT
Dear Mr. **********,

Thank you for using Recreation.gov for your camping needs. It is my pleasure to assist you today.

You are normally allowed one camping vehicle and one tent on a site unless there is a warning posted.

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Thank you,
Terry
Recreation.gov
April 20, 2009 09:06PM
The information I posted is from the Yosemite web site and the guy that sent you the info you posted is from the generic reservation system. The Yosemite site clearly states two cars and no mention of tent count. I do believe though that your cars have to be parked totally within the area designed for parking. No hanging over kind of stuff.

Old Dude

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2009 09:33PM by mrcondron.
April 20, 2009 09:28PM
Thanks for your help Mike. Looks like there is no tent rule so I'm good.
April 20, 2009 09:25PM
eeek, I think your right, I'll take my chances and pitch away. However, If you happen to find a factual tent rule anywhere I would very much appreciate it if you could please post it for me. I will check back later.

Thanks!
April 20, 2009 10:15PM
Bruce
eeek, I think your right, I'll take my chances and pitch away. However, If you happen to find a factual tent rule anywhere I would very much appreciate it if you could please post it for me. I will check back later.

I haven't found any rule about tents and I doubt that there is one. I've certainly seen many sites with more than one tent and I've never seen anybody get in trouble for it. So, in my opinion, you can ignore the generic email and do what you need to do.
April 20, 2009 11:27PM
it used to be two tents...but I had a ranger tell me last year that they really don't enforce the tent limit...just the car limit...which is two cars
April 21, 2009 02:13AM
If you see anything here, tell me. The word "tent" isn't mentioned even once.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/parkmgmt/upload/compendium-2008-2.1-all-122807.pdf
April 21, 2009 07:23AM
I think that years ago when "tent" meant a 20'X40' 400 pound canvas three room affair that had to be hauled in by truck. Today many people use one and two man tents so a group of six may need at least three tents. I think today it would be very difficult to write a rule covering all the options brought up with modern equipment.

Old Dude
April 21, 2009 08:56AM
Every time I camp in the valley I'm surrounded by people with more than one tent on their site. Also a lot more than 6 people in some sites...it's pretty lawless in the valley campsites except for their bear policies.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login