Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Falls

The Moon is Waning Gibbous (95% of Full)

Advanced

JMT alternate starts

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

JMT alternate starts
January 26, 2015 11:01AM
Hi folks!

I'm sure experienced JMT and Yosemite backpackers on this forum have seen a question like mine many times before. I'm new here. Have hiked a lot in the Sierras over the last 2 decades, but only some in Yosemite, since I tend to prefer avoiding crowds.

I'm planning to hike the JMT this summer, and was intending to start on the Four-Mile day hike trail, head up to Glacier Point, then spend the first night in Little Yosemite Valley. I miss-calculated the date to call in for a permit, and ended up being a few days late. No surprise, the permits are already taken for my intended date.

I'd still really like to do this start, having never had views from Glacier Pt or Panorama Pt. But now I'm looking for an alternate trailhead start that will essentially still allow me to end up here a day or two later so I can still do this section before continuing onto Tuolomne and all points further south.

I'm looking at Porcupine Ck, Yosemite Ck, Olmstead Pt, Tamarack Flat at the moment. Time constraints allow me to add a max of 2 days to my current itinerary.

Another option (not desirable) is to eliminate the Valley section, and begin somewhere in the vicinity of Tuolomne.

Urgently seeking recommendations. I probably better get SOMETHING permitted ASAP! Thanks a bunch!
January 26, 2015 08:59PM
If you wanna do that... then get a McGurk or Taft and spend the first night at Bridalveil Creek..
(and NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT anywhere east of there!)
Day 2 to LYV ... 12.5 miles...
Dunno why it wouldn't be allowed...

Olmsted is no longer a starting TH.

I avoid crowds by avoiding the JMT.... not avoiding Yosemite. Yosemite Wilderness is HUGE.

Chick-on is looking at you!
Re: JMT alternate starts
January 29, 2015 01:01AM
There are a lot of fun nuances regarding what is permissible (and not) with a Yosemite wilderness permit. Some tidbits are only revealed if you enjoy poking around in some of the small print of the NPS website. For example on the "Wilderness Trailheads" map http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/upload/wildernesstrailheads.pdf it states "Hikers may not pass through Yosemite Valley on a single wilderness permit."
So if I understand your plan once you arrive in the valley from Tioga Rd. via say Yosemite creek your trip for that permit is over. You cannot then pick up the 4-mile trail and continue you trip on that permit. On the same map it states in the small print that the Mono Meadow trailhead does not allow LYV, Sunrise Creek, or JMT camping, which I had always figured was kosher. Some of the rules listed I find downright perplexing "Hikers may not backtrack from one trailhead to another trailhead on any night of their trip (either partially or fully) unless exiting at their entry trailhead to end their wilderness trip." I'm not sure if this would perclude Chick-on's idea to get a Taft (via Pohono?) permit since you would end up backtracking and beyond to GP trailhead. McGurk would seem to work fine, but honestly I find it a bit confusing.
January 29, 2015 07:01PM
Try Glacier Point->Illilouette. Please remember you must travel as far as the Buena Vista Trail junction before camping. You may not camp in Little Yosemite Valley your first night with this permit, but you can the second night. It is a beautiful hike, and only a couple miles out of the way from your first choice. Or you could try Mono meadow.
Re: JMT alternate starts
January 29, 2015 09:49PM
Coolburn
Or you could try Mono meadow.

I'm not sure what happens in the real world when you apply for your permit but it does state on the Wilderness trailheads map that the Mono Meadows permit does not allow LYV, Sunrise Creek, or JMT camping. Also see eeks post about the exit quotos being instituted for Donohue pass. It's obvious that there will be a greater attention paid to the clever little work-arounds that JMTers' use to get on the trail without one of the traditional permits. You can find more discussion on the subject on the whitneyzone.com discussion board if you are interested
February 02, 2015 07:30PM
My understanding is that Mono Meadow, like GP-Illiloutte, only prohibits camping in LYV the first night.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login