Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
A Yosemite bear

The Moon is Waning Gibbous (95% of Full)

Advanced

Inyo National Forest permit question

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Inyo National Forest permit question
February 25, 2016 08:57AM
Hey Folks!

Just had a quick question regarding the Inyo NF permits. There's overnight and cross-country permits. According to the Inyo site, cross country is for offtrail travel IN national parks. So if I was still planning on going off trail in NON national parks, would I still apply for a cross country permit or overnight?

Thanks!
Kevin
Re: Inyo National Forest permit question
February 25, 2016 11:37AM
Here's what I think is going on: the maximum group size for off-trail travel within the parks is smaller than the national forests (8 vs. 15), so the system has a specific permit type that enforces this group size restriction. You still need a permit for all overnight trips that enter a wilderness area or park, on-trail or off-trail. You'll generally use the starting trailhead (or closest trailhead to your start) to determine quota and availability. Other than the Mountaineer's Route, I'm not aware of any specific cross-country-only "trailheads" in Inyo--for example, for Lamarck Col, you use Lamarck Lakes, where the maintained trail officially ends.
avatar Re: Inyo National Forest permit question
February 29, 2016 04:21PM
I asked about this at the Mammoth Visitor Center last year and the ranger seemed to consider the "trail" versus "cross-country" "permit type" on the webpage to be pretty confusing. I did note the remaining quota before and after reserving my permit, and found that both "permits" remaining quota had been reduced by the size of my party.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login