Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waning Gibbous (91% of Full)

Advanced

GoTenna - Has anyone used it out in the field?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar GoTenna - Has anyone used it out in the field?
March 02, 2016 04:13PM
There's a new product out called a GoTenna. Basically it's a antenna and transmitter that's paired (via bluetooth) to your smartphone that uses the UHF radio frequencies (151-154 MHz) to communicate with other GoTennas. It also uses your smartphone GPS so you can share your location with other GoTenna users (privately). The GoTenna smartphone app can also download off-line maps to use. Basically, it enable you to send text messages and your location information to anyone that also has an GoTenna within range (about four miles in the country, about one mile in urban areas).

The cost is $199 for two GoAttenas (one cannot purchase a GoTenna by itself, only in pairs).

Right now it's only being sold online so I haven't seen it in person. Has anyone used this device?

http://www.gotenna.com/pages/faqs

Re: GoTenna - Has anyone used it out in the field?
March 02, 2016 04:40PM
Hmm..seems like an interesting concept. Don't know if I'd get it though since I've been using my InReach to communicate with others in the backcountry (InReach to Inreach function)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login