Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (85% of Full)

Advanced

Preparing for my first hiking with bf

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Preparing for my first hiking with bf
November 21, 2016 02:38AM
Hi there,
Going to have my first hiking with my bf. Since our hiking is on this winter, little worried about the climate. What all preparations do we need to have in advance? I usually have vein cramps during winter, I am little worried about it. I have seen an insole in a portal http://shop.mistersafetyshoes.com/products/ths01 and planning to get this as a safety measure. How about using this insole? Any alternative solutions? Any advice for us, this is our first trip.
Re: Preparing for my first hiking with bf
November 21, 2016 04:58AM
I'm sure you'll get a few replies regarding gear, but for a first timer, in the winter, I would suggest staying close to your car. That way you have an exit plan if you need it. And it gives you a chance to test your gear and decide for yourself what works, what doesn't, and what else you might need. Winter camping is a lot different than in the summer...route finding, danger of avalanche, cold temps with wind, etc. Take it easy on your first hike(s).
Re: Preparing for my first hiking with bf
November 21, 2016 01:14PM
StellaRose,

Where are you planning on hiking? Crossing a mountain pass is somewhat different to a hike around Yosemite valley trails.

The guidelines for winter hiking are the same as any other hike, the only difference is you need to be prepared with a few more clothing options and less hours of daylight. Here are a few simple pointers;

- Make sure you let somebody knows your route and when you expect to be back, you may also want to leave a copy of your route in your car.
- Plan a realistic route, it is easy to over estimate you own fitness or abilities. When you get tired you are far more likely to make bad decisions.
- Check the weather forecast on the days leading up to you hike and just before you set off. Be prepared to cancel or re-route if the weather looks sketchy.
- Check with a local Ranger if possible, they are best positioned to offer help advice on routes and conditions.
- Take a map and compass and know how to use them.
- Track you progress and watch the time and weather. If you are making slow progress or the weather is closing in stop and evaluate your situation, there are will be many more days to hike so don't take unnecessary risks.
- If you think you may be lost, stop and stay calm and look for landmarks, often back tracking is a better option than forging on regardless.
- Take plenty of food and water, you need to keep you calorie intake up to stay warm. People often forget to drink when its cold and even mild dehydration affects your bodies ability to keep warm.
- Wear layers and remove and add them according to conditions and your level of physical exertion, you need to stay warm but you also want to try and avoid sweating.
- Don't assume your cell phone will work, even if you get into trouble and can call for help, it is likely to take time for any help to reach you.
- If you are planning a more adventurous hike you should consider being prepared to spend a night in the wilderness just in case.
- As a last resort you should carry some way of starting a fire.

Regarding the heated in-soles, I would recommend you spend the $125 on some good quality hiking boots and good wool socks. The batteries won't run out on these:-)

As Tom suggest, pick a nice easy route and enjoy
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login