Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Pothole Dome (Tuolumne Meadows, Yosemite National Park)

The Moon is Waning Gibbous (88% of Full)

Advanced

Trip Report: Half Dome* Backpack

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Trip Report: Half Dome* Backpack
June 14, 2023 02:22PM
* - We didn't actually climb Half Dome.

Took the scouts on a trek up to Little Yosemite Valley from 08-10 June. The original plan was to backpack up to Little Yosemite Valley the first day, hike Half Dome the second, and then hike back out on day three. With the Half Dome cables not being up, we had to modify.

After doing 1.5 loops around Yosemite Valley in order to pick up our wilderness permit, we squeezed into trailhead parking, loaded our packs and headed for Happy Isles to eat lunch and use the restrooms before we started any serious hiking. The trail up to the Vernal Fall footbridge quickly got the blood pumping. Fortunately it was a weekday, so we weren't in the constant parade of people that trail becomes on weekends. Shortly after the JMT/Mist Trail split, we donned rain gear to protect ourselves and our packs from the upcoming soaking. And wow, did we get wet! Vernal Fall was booming. After a short break to remove rain gear above Vernal Fall, we continued our ascent of the Mist Trail. Nevada Fall was impressive as well. The mist and spray coming off the fall was so thick it was hard to differentiate it from the falling water... creating a near white-out background when you looked through the trees toward it. After slogging our way to the top of Nevada Fall, the scouts were more than happy to see the easier trail on the last mile to Little Yosemite Valley. We had some light but persistent rain as we cooked dinner and crafted our Plan B for day two activities. We had one adult and scout in our group who had hiked out to the diving board on a previous trip, so we decided to try scrambling out there the next day.

Starting out on the trail to Vernal Footbridge

Approaching Vernal Fall

Passing by Vernal Fall

Climbing past Nevada Fall

Unfortunately, the next morning we had to figure out a Plan C. Late that night one of the scouts had stumbled and twisted his ankle pretty badly while climbing the stairs to the LYV pit toilets. Yep, we got the scouts all the way up to Little Yosemite Valley safely, past the uneven and slippery steps on the Mist Trail, and it was the stairs up to the pit toilet that did us in. (I shouldn't say anything, as I almost faceplanted when I missed the first concrete half-step during an evening trip to the pit toilets). After discussing it with the scouts, they agreed that the best course of action was to take a "zero day" and just hang around camp to let the scout rest his ankle. There was plenty to keep us occupied between bird watching, climbing rocks, playing cards, soaking feet in the river, and watching the two resident mule deer (they might have been camp hosts as they seemed to wander around the campground 24/7). While it was sunny most of the day, the clouds gathered just enough to scatter a few drops around as the sun was setting and we were starting our campfire.

Our campsite in Little Yosemite Valley backpackers' campground

Half Dome reflected in a vernal pool

One of our camp hosts

Another view of Half Dome and the subdome

Believe it or not, it was raining when this picture was taken.

Day three we tried to focus on getting on trail early. We cooked breakfast, packed up, swept camp, and hit the trail by our target time of 8am. That may not seem early to many, but for a group of teenaged boys it is. On the way out we stopped at the bridge over the top of Nevada Fall. For me, feeling the granite vibrate from the force of all that water rushing past was a little unnerving. The JMT through the Ice Cut was closed, so we descended the upper half of the Mist Trail, then climbed up to Clark Point (a Wilderness Volunteer checked my permit on this section of trail) and took the JMT the rest of the way back to Happy Isles. This was a Saturday, so the crowds on the Mist Trail were quite a bit thicker. After getting back to the vehicles, we loaded up and headed back to the Bay Area, with a stop in Groveland for pizza.

Above Nevada Fall

Crossing the Merced above the Silver Apron and Emerald Pool

Vernal Fall overlook on the Clark Point cutoff trail.

Yours truly at Clark Point

I am labeling the trip "The Epic Failure" because, while we failed to make it to the top of Half Dome, it was still totally epic! The Little Yosemite Valley area was beautiful. Best of all, the scouts want to return next year for another shot at summiting Half Dome! ("Sorry honey, I have to go back again. It's not for me... it's for the scouts, honest!" )
Re: Trip Report: Half Dome* Backpack
June 14, 2023 11:08PM
Thanks for the report and the pics. I would call it "The Epic Win". I can't remember a trip I've been on that we didn't have to make a plan B. It's a good life lesson.
And an even better lesson was the decision to stay back and let their fellow scout heal. Thanks for your (and the other leader's) leadership on this. You're building character in these young men (and women?) which seems to be in short supply these days. Good job!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2023 11:09PM by The Other Tom.
June 15, 2023 06:17AM
Nice job! Kudos to you for showing young people the way---and the way to make decisions in the back country.

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
June 15, 2023 08:23AM
Nice. I got the hiking bug at Philmont, but Yosemite is one of the few places that can make a trek at Philmont feel like a let-down.
June 15, 2023 04:41PM
Fabulous report, pictures, etc.

I'm hardly the expert, but have been to the Diving Board a couple times. (both solo) It is hard to imagine a group of any size getting there without a steady stream of dirt, rocks and other debris raining down on the lower hikers. Something to consider on another trip.

You didn't fail. You improvised.
June 19, 2023 11:16PM
Great report. If I could do childhood over again, I would have joined the scouts. They are fortunate to have you as their leader! Hope you guys make it to the top next year.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login