Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (72% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Entry Fee to Use Tioga Rd to 395?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Entry Fee to Use Tioga Rd to 395?
July 28, 2009 06:03PM
On Thursday, I will bee driving on 120 to get to 395/Bishop, which means that I will be passing thru the Big Oak Flat Entrance to Yosemite Park toll station, and on the way back from Bishop, I will again pass thru the park in the other direction.

My question is: Do I have to pay a Park entry fee for passing thru the park in one or both directions (the four day limit will have expired by Monday)
avatar Re: Entry Fee to Use Tioga Rd to 395?
July 28, 2009 06:05PM
Bee
On Thursday, I will bee driving on 120 to get to 395/Bishop, which means that I will be passing thru the Big Oak Flat Entrance to Yosemite Park toll station, and on the way back from Bishop, I will again pass thru the park in the other direction.

My question is: Do I have to pay a Park entry fee for passing thru the park in one or both directions (the four day limit will have expired by Monday)

1. Isn't it a 7 day limit?

2. You don't have an annual?
July 28, 2009 06:19PM
eeek
Bee

Rich has an Old Dude Lifetime Pass like the other smarta** who said to blow thru the entrance (and when i am with smarta** #1 and #2 we use the Old Dude smarta**'s pass)
July 28, 2009 06:21PM
Do you know there is a "Don't be a Smartpass Pass?" in Yosemite?

Now go and find it.
July 28, 2009 06:23PM
Mike's answer is the best. I'm still laughing...

You should try it.
June 08, 2010 01:40AM
bill-e-g
Do you know there is a "Don't be a Smartpass Pass?" in Yosemite?

Now go and find it.

Is that related to the pizza pass?
July 28, 2009 06:27PM
Bee
eeek
Bee

Rich has an Old Dude Lifetime Pass like the other smarta** who said to blow thru the entrance (and when i am with smarta** #1 and #2 we use the Old Dude smarta**'s pass)

I used one of those "old dude smart***" passes with my folks at Zion Canyon. They don't allow personal cars during the peak season unless you have a disabled placard. They do either allow anyone who rode in the same private vehicle or a limit (maybe 4?) on foot to enter on the same pass. Since I planned on returning by myself (to hike Angels Landing) the next morning, they wrote up a special pass good for 7 days where I could return by myself since I had previously entered with the olduns.
July 28, 2009 06:13PM
Yes there is a trail from Yosemite Falls to the Top of El Capitan.
July 28, 2009 06:13PM
Just blow through the entrance station.

Old Dude
July 28, 2009 06:15PM
July 28, 2009 06:17PM
I'm sure the the fee paid is good for seven days. An annual pass is $50 and a single entrance fee is $20. Once you get old it's $10 for life. Stay young.

Old Dude
July 28, 2009 06:18PM
mrcondron
An annual pass is $50 and a single entrance fee is $20.

No, the annual Yosemite pass is $40. Two trips and you break even.
July 28, 2009 06:22PM
eeek
mrcondron
An annual pass is $50 and a single entrance fee is $20.

No, the annual Yosemite pass is $40. Two trips and you break even.

I bought my interagency pass in August 2008. It should still be good until the end of August this year. Of course I bought it in anticipation of visiting a lot of parks, although I got it at Crater Lake, which has a $10 entrance fee. I think I've easily gone through what would have been $110 of entrance fees.

I remember some years back there were people trying to get around the Yosemite entrance fee by claiming that they were entering only to use the post office. I don't recall what happened after that. The entrance fee was only maybe $5 a vehicle though.
July 28, 2009 06:19PM
Even if they don't get you at the entrance station, they're likely to get you on the way out. I got back last week and both times we exited we were asked to show a receipt or pass. I was even delayed once because the driver in front (in the exit lane) was paying the entrance fee with a credit card.

The exception may be if you arrive and leave after regular hours. I don't know exactly how late they keep rangers at the entrance booths, but I remember getting my pass checked past 6 PM.
Re: Entry Fee to Use Tioga Rd to 395?
July 28, 2009 06:33PM
I remember one year as we were leaving the park out of Tioga, the car I was in had an annual pass. The second car hadn't yet paid for his pass because he arrived so late that they were already closed. Anyways the kiosk was closed for my car but once the second car was going to go through, the kiosk opened so he paid. That time it opened at 9 am.
July 28, 2009 06:53PM
Check out the Annual National Parks pass ($80) for all parks, monuments, federal lands: http://store.usgs.gov/pass/index.html

Hint: buy it if possible at the start of the month as it will expire on the last day of the same month in the following year. You can get almost 13 months of benefit by buying at the beginning of the month.

If you decide, after purchasing a basic park entry pass, that you want to buy an annual pass, you can apply, while the pass is still valid the amount toward an Annual Pass.

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
July 28, 2009 07:35PM
Bee,

Don't stay young. Get old fast. $10. for the rest of your life is a great deal. It's such a great deal I went for it twice when I left my first one in the rental car I returned after that deer messed it up.Confused

Jim
July 28, 2009 07:50PM
tomdisco
Bee,

Don't stay young. Get old fast. $10. for the rest of your life is a great deal. It's such a great deal I went for it twice when I left my first one in the rental car I returned after that deer messed it up.Confused

Jim
If you go blind or suffer some sort of debilitating injury, it's free for life. I would sooner not get this kind of pass though.

http://store.usgs.gov/pass/access.html
July 29, 2009 01:43PM
y_p_w,

Remember the blind guy who did the entire Appalachian Trail? He only fell down a few dozen times.

Jim
July 28, 2009 08:17PM
Wow, Jim, you didn't mention in your trip report that you lost yer pass, too!! Sheesh!!
July 29, 2009 01:48PM
Bee
Wow, Jim, you didn't mention in your trip report that you lost yer pass, too!! Sheesh!!

Bee,

I left out that minor detail because I had already provided ample entertainment for everybody in my account.

Jim
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login