Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Deer in Yosemite

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (86% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Getting out: The eastern Sierra Nevada

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Getting out: The eastern Sierra Nevada
August 20, 2009 11:10PM
If you travel the world in search of grand mountain scenery - the Alps, the Andes, the Himalayas - you will see nothing more spectacular than the views available from your car window in the eastern Sierra Nevada.

http://www.gilroydispatch.com/sports/258653-getting-out-the-eastern-sierra-nevada
avatar Re: Getting out: The eastern Sierra Nevada
August 21, 2009 04:56AM
Good article. The eastern side is a remarkable place, like 100 miles of Tetons. If you just like to explore by vehicle, it is an extraordinary area. I am amazed how little Bridgeport has changed in 30 years. As the article mentionss, the side roads are worth investigating.

"Each spur road off of Highway 395 into the mountains is a doorway to true wonders, but one stands above all for easy access to stunning scenery. Fifteen miles south of Mammoth Lakes is Tom's Place. Leave Highway 395 here and drive 11 miles up lovely Rock Creek to the 10,255-foot Mosquito Flat trailhead at the end of the road. This is the entrance to Little Lakes Valley and one of the most spectacularly scenic areas anywhere. After walking up a short rise, breathtaking views appear up the valley to Bear Creek Spire and Mount Abbot (both are roughly 13,700 -feet tall)."

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
August 21, 2009 07:10AM
Guess he found his way down from being "alone" atop Mammoth Peak.

http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?1,15386,15386#msg-15386

Bee did Mosq. TH. So she better say something.

Wifie and I did a few trips from the East. And it is beautiful. No doubt.
Almost makes me want to find her a job in Bishop or... so don't have
to drive so far. The drive on 120 thru Yose is actually pretty boring after
coming up Tioga Pass from the east...
August 21, 2009 08:06AM
Bee Here!! Have patience -- I am in the middle of switching over to a spiffy new (FAST FAST) compooper system (complete with Cable hook-up)

Mosquito Flat Trailhead is one of those best kept non-secrets that the locals all know about. From the "outside" (before the Rock Creek Rd entrance) one would NEVER have a CLUE that buried deep inside those 395 ramparts are some of the finest views around: granite spires, meadows, and tarns galore. Better yet, slog your way over the barren Mono Pass and find your way to the coolest meadow of all: Pioneer Basin.

I stayed in Bishop, and I have to say that although the town itself is unremarkable, living there allows 1 hour access each way to thee finest scenery in the world (Whitney, Mono Pass to South, and of COURSE, Yosemite to the North)

A collection of photos can be seen here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/moosepics621/sets/72157621817954043/
August 21, 2009 10:13AM
Bee, thanks for the photo slide show. Great pics.

Jim
August 27, 2009 03:24PM
Turns out this guy is the President of the Pine Ridge Association, Board of Directors.
Henry Coe State Park

Not sure what exactly that entails but just thought I'd throw it out there.

A friend sent me the PRA Newsletter for Summer '09 and his name rang a bell
among the BB's in my noggin.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login