Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Dogwood bloom in Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (74% of Full)

JanSport - Accept no Imitations. The Original Backpack since 1967.

Advanced

Re: Big Meadow (Foresta) prescribed burn jumped a holding line

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

August 26, 2009 04:35PM
SR 120
[IN THE CENTRAL CALIFORNIA AREA]
IS CLOSED AT THE WEST BOUNDARY OF YOSEMITE NAT'L PARK (TUOLUMNE CO)
- DUE TO A WILDLAND FIRE - MOTORISTS ARE ADVISED TO USE AN ALTERNATE ROUTE
avatar Re: Highway 120 is closed!
August 26, 2009 04:38PM
The recorded road info says the road is closed from Crane Flat to the 140 junction.
Re: Highway 120 is closed!
August 26, 2009 07:16PM
Uh oh. I wonder if that includes busses? I'm supposed to be on a hiker bus Saturday.
Re: Highway 120 is closed!
August 26, 2009 07:44PM
Not sure about hiker's bus according to Mammothinfo, NO YARTS BUS from/to Mammoth Lakes Thurs 8/27

_______
Yosemite Website: www.nps.gov/yose/fire:

The Big Meadow (Foresta) prescribed burn jumped a holding line, has crossed the Big Oak Flat Road, and is now approximately 300 acres. Multiple aircraft and about 100 firefighters are working on the fire. A type 2 incident management team is on order.

No houses are threatened or damaged.

The Big Oak Flat Road from its junction with El Portal Road (Highway 140) to Crane Flat is closed until further notice. It is not possible to drive between Yosemite Valley and Big Oak Flat/Tioga Road/Tuolumne Meadows within the park. An alternate route is available outside the park (via Highway 49).

It is still possible to drive to Yosemite Valley via Highways 41 or 140, and it is possible to drive along the Tioga Road (Highway 120 through the park) from Big Oak Flat Entrance to Tioga Pass.

The Old Big Oak Flat Road Trail is closed from the Big Oak Flat Road to the Tamarack junction.

Last updated: 8/26/2009 at 6 pm.

For additional information:
· Fire Information and Education:
(209) 372-0480
· Prescribed Fire Office: (209) 375-9576
avatar Re: Highway 120 is closed!
August 26, 2009 08:28PM
AlmostThere
Uh oh. I wonder if that includes busses? I'm supposed to be on a hiker bus Saturday.

I'm sure it'd include the hiker bus. But Saturday isn't here yet.
avatar Big Meadow (Foresta) prescribed burn jumped a holding line
August 26, 2009 08:31PM
The Big Meadow (Foresta) prescribed burn jumped a holding line, has crossed the Big Oak Flat Road, and is now approximately 300 acres. Multiple aircraft and about 100 firefighters are working on the fire. A type 2 incident management team is on order.

No houses are threatened or damaged.

The Big Oak Flat Road from its junction with El Portal Road (Highway 140) to Crane Flat is closed until further notice. It is not possible to drive between Yosemite Valley and Big Oak Flat/Tioga Road/Tuolumne Meadows within the park. An alternate route is available outside the park (via Highway 49).

It is still possible to drive to Yosemite Valley via Highways 41 or 140, and it is possible to drive along the Tioga Road (Highway 120 through the park) from Big Oak Flat Entrance to Tioga Pass.

The Old Big Oak Flat Road Trail is closed from the Big Oak Flat Road to the Tamarack junction.

Last updated: 8/26/2009 at 6 pm.

For additional information:
· Fire Information and Education: (209) 372-0480
· Prescribed Fire Office: (209) 375-9576
· Yosemite Website: http://www.nps.gov/yose/fire
August 27, 2009 08:45AM
We have reserved tickets for the hiker bus, so I called and asked the reservations guy about last minute refunds if the fire kept the road closed- he said the bus was still running because the fire was "on the other side of the park." I said, oh, so it's not on Highway 120, the route from Curry to Tioga? He put me on hold and came back with the number for road conditions. I think he thought I meant the fire over near White wolf...
avatar Re: Big Meadow (Foresta) prescribed burn jumped a holding line
August 27, 2009 11:10AM
AlmostThere
We have reserved tickets for the hiker bus, so I called and asked the reservations guy about last minute refunds if the fire kept the road closed- he said the bus was still running because the fire was "on the other side of the park." I said, oh, so it's not on Highway 120, the route from Curry to Tioga? He put me on hold and came back with the number for road conditions. I think he thought I meant the fire over near White wolf...

Ah, you got the smart one?
August 27, 2009 07:05PM
I suppose I should be thankful he figured out what bus I was supposed to be on.
August 27, 2009 07:53PM
AlmostThere

Did he say anything about it detouring through Oakhurst and Mariposa?
August 27, 2009 10:15PM
eeek
AlmostThere

Nope. That would be an unwelcome detour, but better than hiking up Snow Creek with some of the folks in our group.
August 27, 2009 11:40PM
AlmostThere
eeek
AlmostThere

Nope. That would be an unwelcome detour, but better than hiking up Snow Creek with some of the folks in our group.

Actually I said that wrong. You'd need to detour through Mariposa and north on 49 to 120.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login