Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (74% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Tioga Pass area

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

October 12, 2009 05:26PM
i have a friend who just called and asked me if i knew if Tioga Pass would be open this Fri-Sat? (which i have no idea)..

so my questions are:

1. does anyone know of the forecast for the weekend? he and his buddy want to even go if it's snowing and the road is open. they want to camp over night somewhere.

2. what is the elevation there?

3. what places are there to camp at? and if there is a place to camp, is it first come first serve?

thanks for any help
October 12, 2009 05:30PM
forrestranger
1. does anyone know of the forecast for the weekend?

So far it looks like it'll be sunny.

he and his buddy want to even go if it's snowing and the road is open. they want to camp over night somewhere.

There's a good chance the road won't be open.

2. what is the elevation there?

The pass is just a tad short of 10,000 feet.

3. what places are there to camp at? and if there is a place to camp, is it first come first serve?

Most will be closed by then. In the park they could camp at Wawona or Hodgdon. East of the park there might be something along Lee Vining Creek.
October 12, 2009 05:39PM
so Tuolumne Meadows campgrounds are closed now i take it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2009 05:40PM by forrestranger.
October 12, 2009 06:10PM
forrestranger
so Tuolumne Meadows campgrounds are closed now i take it?

Yes, and there will be no overnight parking in Tioga Road as of the 15th. (Perhaps sooner with this storm.)
October 12, 2009 05:44PM
How about in the valley itself? is Upper Pines offering a first come first serve right now?
October 12, 2009 06:12PM
forrestranger
How about in the valley itself? is Upper Pines offering a first come first serve right now?

The Valley campgrounds (except Camp 4) are reservations.
October 12, 2009 06:34PM
I would spend my energy on another location. Consider 120 out of the question. Glacier Point Road might have some options as it probably won't be closed due to snow but like Tioga it closes to overnight parking on the 15th. The Wawona campground is usually pretty wide open this time of year. The Hetch Hetchy area stay open all year. I think all the campgrounds outside of the valley with the exception of Hodgeon and Wawona are closed.

Do they want to car camp only or are they looking for an overnight backpacking experience?

Old Dude
October 12, 2009 06:41PM
mrcondron
Do they want to car camp only or are they looking for an overnight backpacking experience?

A wild goat chase?
October 12, 2009 06:43PM
This goat is down with a severe head cold. Went to Beehive from HH Saturday, barely got out in one piece Sunday.
Had a good dinner in Buck Meadow though. Good company.

Old Dude
October 12, 2009 07:29PM
Mike;

they want to car camp.
October 12, 2009 08:40PM
forrestranger
Mike;

they want to car camp.

I'd try to get a reservation in the Valley. If not available, go to Wawona.
October 12, 2009 08:47PM
Currently there is one site left at Upper Pines.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login