All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

November 06, 2009 05:24PM
What's the Problem with Invasive Plants?

Invasive plants displace native plants by outcompeting them for water, light, nutrients, and space. As native plants are lost, native animals who rely on those plants for food and shelter are threatened. Invasive plants can also negatively affect ecosystems by changing fire intensity and frequency, soil moisture regimes, and by producing thickets of plants so dense that the stands are impassible for large animals. Yosemite's invasive plant management focuses on many non-natives, including: Himalayan blackberry, yellow star-thistle, bull thistle, common velvet grass, cheat grass, French broom, Italian thistle, perennial pepperweed, and spotted knapweed.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/naturescience/invasive-plants.htm
November 06, 2009 06:48PM
I have been impressed how quickly invasive plants like Star Thistle or Knapweed take over when native grasses are burned off. I have watched star thistle take over large areas of the Central Valley over the last 20 years. If I remember the story correctly, Star Thistle arrived in the North Coast of California in a bale of hay about 50 yrs ago and jumped the Coast Range about 20+ yrs ago and has just gone crazy. For many years, the National Parks resisted using herbicide on invasive plants. Glad to see that approach has changed.

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
November 06, 2009 06:54PM
Brassica nigra is all over California. Makes a nice fire hazard.
November 06, 2009 11:09PM
A nightmare along the American River Bike trail -- it almost completely supplanted the California Poppy (they are currently using very aggressive techniques to wipe out Brassica nigra)

b
November 07, 2009 03:11AM
Used as a spice: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brassica_nigra

Containment looks challenging:

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login