Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (56% of Full)

JanSport - Accept no Imitations. The Original Backpack since 1967.

Advanced

Re: Where was I?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

December 29, 2009 01:46PM
December 29, 2009 06:40PM
Someplace near Mirror Lake?
December 30, 2009 10:32AM
bill-e-g
Someplace near Mirror Lake?

Sort of close but wrong altitude.
December 30, 2009 07:46AM
Can't find that EXACT slab in my pix.

Jim, here's your #81 tree from 2002 though:

December 30, 2009 10:36AM
bill-e-g
Can't find that EXACT slab in my pix.

Jim, here's your #81 tree from 2002 though:

My tree fell down! They do that.
The remant up on top of Sentinel Dome no longer looks much like its' long used postcard photo either.
December 30, 2009 11:00PM
OMG -- that is the tree that gave me the 4 inch scar on my temple! I have told this story to Billy & Old Dude in the past: I set my camera on the rocks opposite of that tree in 1998, put in on the timer, and ran to stand in front of the tree. I was gored by one of the spikes sticking out, broke an artery, and had to bee rushed to the Yosemite hospital to be stitched up. I went back last year to commune with evil tree, and all that was left were a few twigs on the ground...my scar has persisted longer than the tree!

B
December 30, 2009 11:02PM
Bee
OMG -- that is the tree that gave me the 4 inch scar on my temple! I have told this story to Billy & Old Dude in the past: I set my camera on the rocks opposite of that tree in 1998, put in on the timer, and ran to stand in front of the tree. I was gored by one of the spikes sticking out, broke an artery, and had to bee rushed to the Yosemite hospital to be stitched up. I went back last year to commune with evil tree, and all that was left were a few twigs on the ground...my scar has persisted longer than the tree!

B

So it was you that knocked the tree down?
December 30, 2009 11:10PM
WIth the force that I hit the branch, and remembering how deep it buried itself in my scalp: I would say that the tree won that round! I was really disappointed when I went back last year to view the tree (from a distance) and I could not find it!!! (it was later pointed out to me that it was probably the pile of sticks close to where the tree was)....and YES, artifact police, I took a tiny sliver as a momento(like the scar isn't enough?)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2009 11:12PM by Bee.
December 31, 2009 06:11AM
Bee, here is Jim's photo:

If this is the tree then it's still there and will be for many years.
December 31, 2009 11:12AM
Okay -- tree still there (and still a potential risk!!) was in a big hurry at the time I looked for it (was tagging along on a tower repair) I will look closer next time.
December 31, 2009 11:43AM
Since nobody seems to have identified the original photo on this thread or simply gotten sidetracked I'll tell you where it is. If you approach North Dome by the present trail from Tioga Road this rock overhang is next to the trail on the last downhill portion before arriving at the North Dome saddle (where the dead tree is located). As moderator and recent visitor to my photos Dale knows this but was probably giving others a chance at it. This was the very last photo I took in July after darn near losing the camera on North Dome.

It's possible some of you veterans use a slightly different approach to North Dome, thus missing this rock overhang. When you leave North Dome the present trail heads off to the right and then makes a sharp switchback. That's where you see it. I noticed Google Earth shows the trail heading more to the left or straight ahead instead of to the right. You folks using a different path?
January 01, 2010 08:43AM
I've only been there twice. And not in about 5 years so I don't have GPS tracks of the trail but
what you describe sounds right. I doubt many take any other route.

I think your rock is located here:
January 01, 2010 12:24PM
Yes, that's the general area, possibly a bit more to the right.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login