Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
A Yosemite bear

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (58% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Speed Enforcement

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

February 01, 2010 01:39PM
TARGETED SPEEDING ENFORCEMENT

Over the next several months, rangers in the Valley and El Portal will be conducting targeted speeding enforcement aimed at reducing speed-related traffic issues on the roadways. Speeding vehicles are the greatest threat to people and wildlife in the park. Moreover, this effort is in response to requests from the community indicating a desire for increased speed enforcement to better provide for the safety of pedestrians, motorists, and wildlife. Citations will be issued where warranted. Remember that the people who use these roads most often are your neighbors, coworkers, and friends; help keep them safe by driving defensively and in compliance with all posted speeds and regulations.

Targeted speed enforcement is a proven effective method for achieving these goals. By publicizing these enforcement and education efforts, the National Park Service believes motorists can be deterred from speeding. Additional area specific reminders are outlined below.

VALLEY:

Traffic safety must be a priority for all drivers in the Valley due to extensive road work, altered traffic patterns, displaced pedestrian routes, and winter driving conditions. Please drive slowly and safely! Remember that the speed limit in the east Valley is generally 25 MPH unless posted lower, and that the speed limit elsewhere in the Valley is 35 MPH. The speed limit along the detour in Yosemite Village is 15 MPH. Be aware of new temporary stop sign locations in Yosemite Village.

EL PORTAL:

Traffic safety must be a priority for all drivers in El Portal due to the large numbers of walkers, joggers, and cyclists using the roads. Please drive slowly and safely! Remember that the speed limit on Foresta Road is 25 MPH west of the Post Office, and 15 MPH in Old El Portal. Personnel in government vehicles which do not need to access the Rancheria Flat housing area should utilize Highway 140 instead of Foresta Road for transit.

The speed limit in all posted chain control areas is 25 MPH.
February 01, 2010 02:30PM
I wonder if they will target some of the regular commuters to and from the park on Rt. 140 from Mariposa. Some of those guys would like to blow you off the road.
February 01, 2010 02:41PM
tomdisco
I wonder if they will target some of the regular commuters to and from the park on Rt. 140 from Mariposa. Some of those guys would like to blow you off the road.

I've noticed the same thing on 41.
March 04, 2010 07:24AM
tomdisco

last month while going up Hwy 140 (about 10 miles before Yosemite entrance), i had (of all things) a garbage truck riding my butt big time. it was raining pretty good at the time, so road conditions were not safe, but this guy was in no mood for anyone in his way. ..i eventually pulled over and let him go by, as he did, he was moving way way too fast. he easily could have caused a major accident. it was one of those times you wished a CHP officer was around.
February 01, 2010 02:57PM
Good deal, I stick to the speed limit on all roads and I feel like I'm in the way most of the time, even with snow on the ground.
March 03, 2010 07:35PM
And....please, please proceed carefully at the painted crosswalks watching out for pedestrians and bikers...sadly, we witnessed a collision between a biker and a vehicle due to the bikers' inattention.
March 04, 2010 10:26AM
For long years there have been a high percentage of vehicles with excessive speeds, especially along the valley loop. Never understood why there hasn't been more inforcement. Maybe because a fair number also work in the valley and or they don't want to offend visitors? Likewise many impatient trans Sierra drivers on SR-120 going through the park. In the valley it is worst on weekends about 10am to noon when masses coming in from the external lodging and day trip people from the Central Valley tend to arrive. And then again likewise between 4pm and 6pm when most depart. Vehicles going the speed limit like mine, are frequently tailgated by those whose intent is to cause one to feel guilty and increase speed. I just ignore them and if such people don't back off within a half minute or simply pass me out in those 2 lane one way roads, I begin playing my usual wobble of slow down and speed up. One can almost feel the steam rising and they soon speed around me in frustration. They don't want to have to bother to pass out but rather seem to get some satisfaction by causing others to speed up. Of course one reason such tailgaters habitually play that game is because it tends to work on many otherwise slower drivers.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2010 10:30AM by DavidSenesac.
March 04, 2010 10:54AM
It's my understanding that in traffic court they now teach you to simply get
your booty over if you're being tailgated.

(and I thank you)

Chick-on is looking at you!
March 04, 2010 10:56AM
btw... I always get a kick outta nearly always seeing people pulled over on 120 before the 120/108 split.
That's a place I ALWAYS slow my booty down...

Chick-on is looking at you!
March 06, 2010 02:13PM
Yup! I am sure that the amount of tickets issued in that spot could support the police force!
March 06, 2010 02:15PM
Bee
Yup! I am sure that the amount of tickets issued in that spot could support the police force!

That and the 25 MPH zone at Tuolumne Meadows during the summer.
March 04, 2010 05:25PM
there is a place inside the 120 entrance that is a hot spot for Rangers looking to ticket people.. it's about a couple of miles in, where you go down a steep hill and it curves to the left... Rangers are always sitting there knowing someone will be speeding down the hill.
March 05, 2010 02:46AM
Sounds like Hazel Green, at the bottom of the first downhill as you come in the park on HW 120. The road is going downhill turning to the left, you get to a straight as it hits the bottom flat with car parking on both sides, and then starts uphill again as it turns to the left. It's like a big U with the flat bottom at the bottom of the U.

Interesting history in the area. In stage coach days the road ran just a few hundred yards to the west. There is an old stage coach stop and ranch house there along with the current boundary of the park. When the current road was build the road was realigned and Hazel Green lost road access. The only road access they have now is is on long dirt roads. They've been trying to get it back through legal means with the county and US Department of Interior. There's also been plans proposed to build a road across to outside the park. NPS was thinking about building peripheral parking lots and busing people into the valley with one of the parking lots at Hazel Green. There's also something about development for a resort in the area. Both would have resulted in a road connecting across to the ranch house outside the park.

The extra parking there I think is for people to park and walk across. There used to always be cars parked there. I'm not sure I've seen as many lately as I used to.

Do a google search, lots of interesting stuff.
March 05, 2010 08:28AM
yep, that's the place.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login