Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Bridalveil Falls, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (62% of Full)

Advanced

Re: JMT permit question

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

JMT permit question
February 24, 2010 12:41PM
I'm planning my first JMT hike this summer (actually a hybrid JMT/HST hike) and have a question about the permit application. Gotta fill in the starting trailhead (Tuolumne for me) and the exit trailhead. I'm actually exiting at Wolverton Creek at the end of the High Sierra Trail and that isn't one of the options on the drop down. I can't seem to bypass the drop down to fill it in manually.
What do you do in this case?
February 24, 2010 01:34PM
bugsdad
I'm planning my first JMT hike this summer (actually a hybrid JMT/HST hike) and have a question about the permit application. Gotta fill in the starting trailhead (Tuolumne for me) and the exit trailhead. I'm actually exiting at Wolverton Creek at the end of the High Sierra Trail and that isn't one of the options on the drop down. I can't seem to bypass the drop down to fill it in manually.
What do you do in this case?

I'd just pick another exit in the same jurisdiction. The choice of exit isn't binding.
February 24, 2010 06:51PM
I didn't see anything anywhere close to any HST exits on the drop down. All exits seem to be along the JMT. I guess it's not crucial that I have the correct exit so will just pick the closest I can find.
Thanks
February 24, 2010 07:40PM
You can also correct the exit when you pick up the permit. Your reservation is really just for the trailhead.
February 24, 2010 09:38PM
Just put Whitney. That's what we did when we went out Roads End, SEKI.

Chick-on is looking at you!
February 25, 2010 10:36AM
chick-on

Isn't there an exit quota for the Special Whitney Zone? I thought it was 25 per day outside of the regular quota period.

I wonder how the NPS and Forest Service coordinate the quotas. I'd think it's easy enough for entry trailhead quotas where only one agency has control and there is no quota on the exit point.
February 25, 2010 11:05AM
y_p_w
chick-on

Isn't there an exit quota for the Special Whitney Zone? I thought it was 25 per day outside of the regular quota period.

I wonder how the NPS and Forest Service coordinate the quotas. I'd think it's easy enough for entry trailhead quotas where only one agency has control and there is no quota on the exit point.

No

February 25, 2010 12:32PM
chick-on
y_p_w
chick-on

No

It's item J36, with 15 reservable and 10 saved for walk-ins.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/inyo/recreation/wild/quotas.shtml

The quotas limit the number of people who may begin overnight trips on each day at specific trails or trailheads. These limited entry quotas generally apply only to overnight visitors. However, in the Mt. Whitney Zone quotas limit both day use and overnight use. Also, in the Mt. Whitney Zone an exit quota limits the number of people who end trips on the Mt. Whitney Trail. This exit quota is called "Trail Crest Exit".

However - I found the answer. Apparently the quota of 25 only applies if the permit is picked up from the Forest Service.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/inyo/recreation/wild/howto.shtml

What is the exit limit (Trail Crest Exit) for trips that will end at Mt. Whitney? If your trip will exit to Whitney Portal via the Mt Whitney trail but you are not starting on the Mt.Whitney trail, your exit point will be called “Trail Crest”. For a full list of trail names where Trail Crest exit would apply, see All Other Trails reservation availability. Trail Crest exit space does not apply if your trip originates in Yosemite or Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks.
February 25, 2010 01:19PM
Start in Yosemite or SEKI? No Whitney permit required but don't get the permit you picked up two weeks ago get all sweaty and unreadable.

Old Dude
February 25, 2010 03:45PM
I need an exit trailhead.

February 25, 2010 06:09PM
chick-on
I need an exit trailhead.

Mt. Katadyn
March 17, 2010 09:25PM
Well it became official today. My reservation is in hand. Here's where I am at this point (aside from sitting on the couch for the past 2 months with a badly broken ankle....shouldn't affect my trip though)

I'll be starting at T Meadows on Aug 30th.
I'll resupply at MTR
I plan to detour over to Lake South America and spend a night there before heading down the now defunct LSA trail to the junction of the High Sierra Trail. I'll follow the HST for about 4 days and spend a night at a lake for each of my days on the High Sierra and exit at Wolverton Creek via Panther Gap on or about Sept 18th.

I've been slowly compiling a list of campsites along the JMT based on what I've read in TR's and other recommendations. I'd love to hear about favorites that you guys know of. My preference is to be near water, but avoid the more crowded spots. I love a good off the beaten path spot.
I'm keeping my itenerary somewhat loose so that I can extend or shorten days if I see a great spot or want to peak bag along the way. I will average about 15 miles a day most likely though.

Now if I can just get this cast off and start regrowing my new chicken leg!

Thanks for all the advice you guys have given me on this trip. I'll have more details as it moves forward.
March 22, 2010 07:55AM
Amazed (ok, I'm really not) that no one has said a word in response.

It really won't matter where you stay. Nearly all the lakes you stay
by you will love. The places that I like that I would stay at again are
these:
- Garnet Lake
- Chief Lake
- Evolution Lake
- Upper Basin

I liked Lake Jessica much more than Lake South America.

Lakes I haven't stayed at that I would if/when I do it again:
- Lake Virginia
- Silver Pass Lake
- Sapphire Lake
- Palisade Lakes
- Lake Marjorie

Have fun
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login