Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Fern on the Four Mile Trail, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (59% of Full)

Advanced

Re: New RV, will I fit?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

New RV, will I fit?
March 07, 2010 11:22AM
I have a larger RV (32') than when I reserved a camp spot in Lower Pines. Camp spot #44 is for a 24' or smaller but the driveway is 40'. I noticed in the past larger RV's than recommended have fit into spots and was wondering if someone would check or new first hand if I can make the turn to get in. Thanks.
March 08, 2010 02:06PM
Picture here

Not so helpful, but this will bump you up to the top...
March 08, 2010 04:34PM
Are you tlaking about a 32' trailer or 32' motor home?
March 09, 2010 09:40AM
Although we have not stayed in that particular spot before we have it marked down as one of the spots our 28 ft. 5th wheel could fit into for a future visit. That being said there must not have been any obstacles in the way so I don't think you will have a problem. Hope that helps and have a wonderful time!
March 10, 2010 06:29PM
I looked at the site today. Turning into it could be a problem since there are two trees and a rock opposite the site. I took pictures and I'll post them after I get home on Saturday.
March 10, 2010 06:37PM
eeek
I looked at the site today. Turning into it could be a problem since there are two trees and a rock opposite the site. I took pictures and I'll post them after I get home on Saturday.

So it might work if he could teleport his RV into the driveway?
March 10, 2010 06:39PM
y_p_w

That might be the only way.
March 10, 2010 08:23PM
eeek
y_p_w

That might be the only way.

Well - in a more serious vein, I'm wondering if active 4 wheel steering might make for better RV maneuverability at low speed.

I remember seeing the early 4 wheel steering mechanisms from Honda and Mazda. At high speeds, the rear wheels turned slightly in the same direction (up to a point of steering wheel input) to aid with lane changes. At low speeds they turned in opposite directions which tightly decreased the turn radius.

For a while GM was offering 4 wheel steering for some of their SUVs. I remember they had a commercial where a woman is trying to park her GMC Yukon into a tight space surrounded by motorcycles being watched by their hardcore biker owners. She uses her 4-wheel steering to get into the space easily. I heard they discontinued it due to low demand.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/reviews/healey/2003-02-13-qsteer_x.htm
March 11, 2010 09:06PM
Thank You, I will be looking forward to the pics. I have a 32' motor home.
March 11, 2010 09:08PM
eeek

Thank You, I will be looking forward to the pics. I have a 32' motor home.
March 13, 2010 03:28PM
Looking from the campsite out the driveway to the road:

http://yosemitephotos.net/main.php/v/camping/nsh-dscn4177.jpg.html
March 13, 2010 03:34PM
March 19, 2010 09:59AM
Thanks eeek for the pics! We usually take into account the surroundings before marking down a campsite for the future and this one's got me scratching my head. Your second pic with the rock isn't a concern because it would be beyond our turn but I'm more concerned about the first rock and tree in your first pic. Do you remember if they were set back more than the rock in the second pic? If so, I don't think it will be a problem but if it's forward of the second rock then it could definitely be a problem. Unfortunately our conflicting accounts are not helping ojaidenny out and we won't be up there until mid May to check it out. All I know is a motorhome can get into tighter places than a 5th wheel and our 5th wheel is 28 feet plus our truck. Nice pics by the way.
March 19, 2010 11:29AM
One more picture might help:

March 19, 2010 01:32PM
Give it a shot. If people can try to go up Old Priest Grade in a 48' motor home you should not raise any eyebrows with your shorty wiggling into that slot. Actually it looks doable especially if you back in.

Old Dude
March 19, 2010 01:56PM
I think you only need to cut down one tree.
March 20, 2010 01:00PM
Thanks to all for your help, especially eeek who took the time to get me the pics. I don't want to drive all the way to Yosemite, (9hrs) on the chance I may get into the spot. So, I have to decided to cancel for this year and hope I can get in next year. Thanks again, have fun in the most wonderful place on earth.
Ojaidenny
March 20, 2010 01:03PM
What time of year were you planning the trip for?
March 20, 2010 01:07PM
I have reservations for April 3 thru the 10th.
March 20, 2010 01:21PM
ojaidenny
I have reservations for April 3 thru the 10th.

Ok, that leaves out high country campgrounds.
March 20, 2010 01:22PM
thanks for trying.
April 28, 2010 03:16PM
So did you fit into the site ok and how was your trip?

Tom
August 13, 2010 09:57AM
mtn man
So did you fit into the site ok and how was your trip?

Tom
He canceled.
August 14, 2010 10:55AM
Oooops, missed that entry
August 15, 2010 07:30AM
You might find this site of some help in the future. http://yosemitecampsites.com/
March 26, 2011 06:48PM
Do any of you know how accurate the listed max vehicle length is?
March 26, 2011 06:55PM
Marksm
Do any of you know how accurate the listed max vehicle length is?

It might be a bit conservative but if you can't make it into the site, you have no recourse.
March 26, 2011 07:06PM
Haha. It is a bit odd because the length listed on recreation.gov don't always match up with the listing on nps, sometimes as much as 5 ft which makes a big difference.
April 02, 2011 01:07AM
Yeah, next time you are in the valley, I suggest walking around and keeping note of which campsites that have long driveways that may work for you. I have a friend who actually has his own list. Let me see if he can lend it to me and I'll post it on here.
April 03, 2011 10:22AM
camper68
I suggest walking around and keeping note of which campsites that have long driveways that may work for you.

Take not of the approaches too. Some driveways may be long enough but don't have room to make the turn into them.
April 03, 2011 11:32AM
eeek
camper68
I suggest walking around and keeping note of which campsites that have long driveways that may work for you.

Take note of the approaches too. Some driveways may be long enough but don't have room to make the turn into them.

This is why the NPS sometimes shows a 12 ft. trailer limit in a 28ft. deep, double wide driveway, site. They assumed the driver as being a novice rv'er and set the limits VERY conservatively for the maximum trailer length of the site, taking into account the approach from the road into the site pad. (in other words they are concerned that some drivers would not be able to back the trailer into the site due to lack of experience).
April 30, 2011 05:12PM
Very true. There may be trees and other objects that make the backing in extremely difficult
April 03, 2011 10:29PM
camper68
Yeah, next time you are in the valley, I suggest walking around and keeping note of which campsites that have long driveways that may work for you. I have a friend who actually has his own list. Let me see if he can lend it to me and I'll post it on here.

This is one of the reasons I love this site. People are always willing to help out, and the amount of knowledge is exceptional!
April 02, 2011 10:12AM
You can check-out sites online with images. I like this one, mainly because they are pretty.

http://tinkhamroad.com/
April 04, 2011 10:16AM
I love how that site has pretty high quality pictures, and quite a few too.
April 04, 2011 08:39AM
Remember when you look at photos of sites, that the sites across from you will likely be occupied. So more obstacles than just the rocks, bumpers and trees.

Some one in a rented motorhome backed into our awning a few years back, in Yosemite...you can imagine how far into our site they were. And our Subaru and Silverado have been hit by motorhomes backing in or out of sites at state parks.

Pull behind trailers are more difficult to get into sites than 5th wheels and motorhomes.
April 04, 2011 02:52PM
We had that problem once. Although the driveway was really long, there were trees blocking from the other side. Took us maybe 30m with bumping to get in.
April 18, 2011 03:00PM
Ha, I've seen families struggle to get into sites before. It's kinda like watching people parallel park almost; I find it a bit amusing. Anyhow, they always eventually do get into their sites.... I guess they have to make it fit once they get there.
April 17, 2011 10:48PM
Very true... maybe it is a good idea to look at the pics for the surrounding sites too.
April 18, 2011 03:10PM
We were in North Pines a few years ago and the people next to us had a larger RV than their site could hold. It was getting dark and for an hour they maneuvered back and forth, in and out, and right over the end of the concrete barriers for the driveway. They decided their RV finally fit and settled in. Their motor home stayed there the rest of our trip! I guess that the rangers never noticed or cared. It did make interesting entertainment for the evening!

We have also observed RVs hit trees, parked cars, posts and (almost) people while trying to shimmy in. The RV lengths may seem conservative, but I think they are trying to avoid many of the scenarios we have observed.
April 21, 2011 03:09PM
Well, I usually look for the sites where the surrounding campsites are less likely to hold large RV's... decreases the chances of RV's with generators running all day!
April 21, 2011 03:45PM
I wish we could be selective like that (strategically picking sites that can't hold larger RVs), but when reservations sell out in mere minutes, you are lucky to get any site at all!

We were camping in North Pines and a Cruise America RV pulled into the site nearby (never a good sign). They parked and proceeded to pull out a huge 36" TV and gaming system so one of the boys could play his video games. This of course required a generator. When they finally turned off the generator, all of the campers nearby broke out in applause!

I have no issues with walking over to the camp host and letting them know when someone is running a generator outside of the designated times, but defining "sparingly" for use during the day is a little bit more tricky. We usually aren't in the campground in the middle of the day, so generators have never had a huge negative impact on our stay.
April 21, 2011 04:28PM
robinjayp
I have no issues with walking over to the camp host and letting them know when someone is running a generator outside of the designated times

Have you had that work?
April 21, 2011 06:49PM
Yes, it worked for me in Upper Pines last summer. I simply went over and told them that the people in site xxx are running their generator (it was after 7:00 pm). The host was tactful and gave me a few minutes to go back to my site and then went over and told them how it is. Generator went right off.

In North Pines I've seen the host go over in the past and tell people that it was past generator hours (someone else must have complained). One lady came out of her RV, hair wet and all, and explained that she needed to finish her shower and then blow dry her hair. The host said too bad....rules and rules. It was quite refreshing actually.

I had never stayed in Upper Pines before last summer and was quite surprised how nice the hosts were. I usually camp in North Pines where the same lady was host for years and years and years and rarely came out of her RV. She finally "retired" and they have newer hosts that seemed nice enough (at least they let us borrow jumper cables). We've also seen the hosts busting people for gathering firewood. Luckily our site in North Pines was pretty isolated and we didn't have to deal with noisy neighbors smiling smiley
April 21, 2011 07:31PM
robinjayp
Yes, it worked for me in Upper Pines last summer. I simply went over and told them that the people in site xxx are running their generator (it was after 7:00 pm). The host was tactful and gave me a few minutes to go back to my site and then went over and told them how it is.

I'm amazed. The last time I stayed in Upper Pines they didn't even bother manning the booth (I arrived about 5:30pm). Next afternoon I found a nasty note in my campsite about not checking-in. Since it was withing the hours listed on the note I went to the booth to check-in and found it just as unmanned as when I had arrived. Made me think those people where quite overpaid.
April 21, 2011 07:50PM
Yes, a campsite for payment which would cost $140 a week. So they essential get paid, but with their campsite (a decent one I might add)! Unlike non-Yosemite campground hosts, they don't have to clean the bathroom (at least in the valley). Every other place I have camped with hosts have this responsibility.

I have only seen hosts at the booth from 10-12:30 and 1:30 - 4:00 ish. Last year there were two people in the booth in Upper Pines (married retired couple I think). I have even seen a sign in the window at North Pines that said out to lunch. They are only there maybe 4-5 hours.

I looked into being a volunteer ranger in Yosemite a couple of summers ago (since I am a teacher, well at least I am when there are jobs available). The "payment" was a group style tent campsite (and not a particularly good one). Timing just didn't work out though. Maybe someday....
April 22, 2011 09:57AM

This camp site...boy does it bring back HORRIBLE memories!

I actually booked this campsite a few years ago and tried to manuever my living quarters horse trailer into it. Since it was a goosneck I could pivot like mad, but that tree across from the driveway..no, it didn't work. The rocks further up the road were a bigger obstacle....and to more honest, I had to think okay, if I can get this thing in here, how the *** am I ever going to get it out...of course, since I did the trip without my hubby, all I heard was, I could have done it...honestly, don't try.

Nevermind this was honestly the trip from you-know-where. We were fortunate enough to get a good campsite the next day in North Pines through the end of the day lottery. Noth Pines is the better campground to faciliate larger RV's.

Not to recommend this to anyone, but with a motorhome coming in the loop the wrong way, you could pull it right in.

Oh, and a tip to anyone, especially hauling into Yosemite, the contract for towing at the time was given to only 2 tow companies. The service that handles Wawona and the road out to Oakdale only bills AAA. Be ready with your credit card otherwise. It cost me 1k to be towed about 3 miles above the Look out tunnel toward Wawona and that was only to the nearest place, a desolate KOA. Nevermind we still had to get the truck towed to Fresno, etc. I'll just leave the story at that...and say, BUY the Good Sam's club policy and have Verizon cell service, since the cell service contract was currently with them.
April 24, 2011 04:10PM
North Pines and Lower Pines do seem to have larger RV sites. I just recommend everyone buying only a 24 ft RV and call it a day. Will fit almost anywhere.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login