Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Pothole Dome (Tuolumne Meadows, Yosemite National Park)

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (78% of Full)

Advanced

Re: getting to upper pines campground

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

getting to upper pines campground
March 11, 2010 09:59PM
We made camping reservations for upper pines with a check in/out date of 3/17-3/20 next week. I am wondering about driving in. We will be coming from the south entrance if we can. How do we get in from the south 41 and then later, exiting the west 140. Does anyone foresee any problems with this. Thanks so much. Everyone here has always been so helpful! smiling smiley
avatar Re: getting to upper pines campground
March 11, 2010 10:04PM
I did 140 yesterday and 41 today. Didn't do 41 yesterday because of the weather (i.e. didn't want to bother freezing my hands while putting on chains). Just check the road conditions and take 140 in if you need to.
March 11, 2010 10:12PM
how about the 120 out?
March 11, 2010 10:06PM
so, is there a place to check overnight temperatures at upper pines. My other half is worried the kids are going to freeze to their death.
March 11, 2010 10:13PM
cdevries
so, is there a place to check overnight temperatures at upper pines. My other half is worried the kids are going to freeze to their death.

NOAA forecast:
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=37.74139927315054&lon=-119.57382202148437&site=hnx&smap=1&marine=0&unit=0&lg=en
March 11, 2010 11:01PM
cdevries

It's going to be cold overnight - definitely sub-freezing. The key is sleeping bags and sleeping in warm clothes. Most sleeping bag ratings assume wearing clothes and don't necessarily mean it will be nfortable. It's generally how low one can go without being physical harmed.

If they're not used to sleeping at maybe 40 degrees, then freezing or below might be brutal. You'll want heavy sleeping bags all around, clothes (as I mentioned) and perhaps additional blankets or fleece sleeves.

If it snows, you'll want your tent to be strong enough that it doesn't collapse under the weight of the snow. It doesn't sound like it'll be much of a problem.

I saw a group of college kids who were camping at at Camp 4 a few years back in Feb. They said they just did stuff like use a couple of sleeping backs per person and used a 3-season tent.
March 12, 2010 09:42AM
If you're sleeping in a tent on the ground make sure you have something other then the bottom of the tent between the sleeping bag and the ground. Bring extra blankets or even better is a foam pad of some kind like a Thermarest. More than once I've woken up in the middle of the night cold because I've rolled off the pad. Even better, bring both. Last time I slept in Camp 4 on top of snow I put a layer of blankets down inside the tent, and then then Thermarest on top of that. When I packed up camp and lifted the tent off the ground the snow under the tent had barely melted.
March 12, 2010 05:18PM
qumqats
If you're sleeping in a tent on the ground make sure you have something other then the bottom of the tent between the sleeping bag and the ground.

Don't expect an ordinary air mattress to do for that either.
March 15, 2010 03:58PM
eeek
qumqats
If you're sleeping in a tent on the ground make sure you have something other then the bottom of the tent between the sleeping bag and the ground.

Don't expect an ordinary air mattress to do for that either.

The cheapest effective solution: those blue foam pads from Walmart, two per person - thicker is better, two of the thicker ones will do well but be bulkier than heck. If you do have an air mattress layer the blue pads over it. Air is a poor insulator.
March 12, 2010 08:54AM
Forget the South Entrance. The road from Oakhurst all the way to the Valley will be winding and slow. When you get to Oakhurst turn left, north, on Hwy 49, go straight through Mariposa. If you keep going straight at the stop sign the road turns into Hwy 140. Then stay on that road, don't turn, and eventually you'll end up in the campground. It's about 10 miles longer but you'll get there faster and see more varied scenery along the way.
March 15, 2010 05:54PM
All I'll say is that you are pretty much snow camping at n pines at this time of year.
There is little to no snow there now... just think of a big ol' ice box ..
all that cold air drops down into the valley...
March 15, 2010 06:09PM
bill-e-g
All I'll say is that you are pretty much snow camping at n pines at this time of year.

What snow?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login