Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
A Yosemite bear

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (57% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Yosemite Falls Trail - open to the top?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Yosemite Falls Trail - open to the top?
March 18, 2010 05:15PM
Anyone know if the top of Yosemite Falls can be reached by hiking, without snowshoes, up the Yosemite Falls Trail?

I'm considering an excursion up the Yosemite Falls Trail next weekend.

The NPS Yosemite Condition web page (http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/conditions.htm) says all trails are open, and doesn't list the Yosemite Falls trail among the exceptions.

I experienced a fair amount of snow on the Four Mile Trail in the last weekend of March in 2009, but stopped short of where the trail was then (and is now) closed at Union Point. Just thinking that the YF Trail would have less snow than Four Mile because YF gets much more sunlight.

Thanks!
avatar Re: Yosemite Falls Trail - open to the top?
March 18, 2010 05:27PM
vdrummer
Anyone know if the top of Yosemite Falls can be reached by hiking, without snowshoes, up the Yosemite Falls Trail?

You shouldn't need (or desire) snowshoes on the trail. But you will probably find some ice.

March 18, 2010 06:33PM
Of course I mean unless it snows. winking smiley
March 18, 2010 06:45PM
eeek

Oh, yes, all bets are off in inclement weather, especially since it's going to be adults leading a group of high school kids. Thanks!
March 18, 2010 07:48PM
vdrummer
eeek

Oh, yes, all bets are off in inclement weather, especially since it's going to be adults leading a group of high school kids. Thanks!

Also once you get to the stop you might not be able to wander around much without snowshoes. Assuming the trail isn't already well stomped down.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login