Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Nevada Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (59% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Water, water, everywhere!

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Water, water, everywhere!
March 31, 2010 02:20PM
Someday I'm going to do the PCT--Rodgers Canyon--Grand Canyon loop. I'm not real fond of dry camps and prefer to be near a small source of filterable water. The Trails Illustrated map shows traces of water along the Pacific Crest Trail about half way between Glen Aulin HSC and the McCabe Lakes junction. Are these water sources still there in late July / early August or are they dried up by then?
avatar Re: Water, water, everywhere!
March 31, 2010 04:15PM
I was through there some years ago in early September (coming from north to south on PCT from the other side of Burro Pass). We decided to not camp at Retrun Creek, but to push on and look for water and a campsite in the area that you describe. It was dry as a bone (again, early September). Had to keep going all the way to Glen Aulin HSC. It was a long, dry day.
March 31, 2010 04:41PM
Bearproof,

Yes, I expect it would be totally dried up by September. The next option is a couple of ponds about 150' below the trail about 3/4 mile south of the McCabe Lakes junction. Anybody been in that area? bill-e-g?
March 31, 2010 07:44PM
In late July and early August for sure you will find water in the stream in Cold Canyon.
I wouldn't worry about water at all then.
Haven't been to the ponds north of Elbow Hill but nearly every single other Pond near Mattie
and Virginia you'll find water in.
Probably you will stop day 1 in Cold Canyon meadow area... I'd go for the pond 1/4 mile
off the trail and about 6/10 mile north of Elbow Hill. Haven't been there but it looks nice.

We/I always bring a 2 litre Platypus. Fill 'er up when you are close to quitting for the day.
Camp anywhere.

Have fun
March 31, 2010 08:50PM
I've only had water problems twice ever in the whole park Both times were when Falls Creek was dry and no water was available at the footbridge on the way towards Rancheria. Water was available at Tiltill Creek though. I don't think it's possible to be more than five miles from water anywhere in the park.

Old Dude
March 31, 2010 09:31PM
mrcondron
I've only had water problems twice ever in the whole park Both times were when Falls Creek was dry and no water was available at the footbridge on the way towards Rancheria. Water was available at Tiltill Creek though. I don't think it's possible to be more than five miles from water anywhere in the park.

Yeah. I was actually gonna mention this. We've had this conversation probably 1000 times.
It seems that most people don't think it's water unless they can stick their dingleberries in it.
(o... and use a filter... Chick-on may have stuck his chunk in there)

Take a look at a lot of the streams in the park next time. You'll see fish in most of them.
That should give you the vague idea that maybe there is some pools of water year round.
Sometimes you just have to walk up the creekbed and bit, that's all.
April 01, 2010 12:47AM
bill-e-g
mrcondron

Yeah. I was actually gonna mention this. We've had this conversation probably 1000 times.
It seems that most people don't think it's water unless they can stick their dingleberries in it.
(o... and use a filter... Chick-on may have stuck his chunk in there)

Take a look at a lot of the streams in the park next time. You'll see fish in most of them.
That should give you the vague idea that maybe there is some pools of water year round.
Sometimes you just have to walk up the creekbed and bit, that's all.

Mike, I don't want to be 5 miles from water when I bed down. I want to have plenty of water close by so I don't have to ration it for supper and breakfast and still be able to take some healthy swigs in the evening and morning to stay hydrated.

In the interests of pack weight management I carry two standard sized Naglene bottles, topping them off whenever it seems a good idea. This stretch in Cold Canyon was the only place that seemed like a possible problem for the night even after topping off at the HSC area. This particular loop trail will be very enjoyable for me if I average about 9 miles per day. It's a long haul for my body. This is a good pace for me and permits stopping to take lots of photos,smell the flowers, take adequate breaks, tweak tails of diamondbacks during heat induced delirium in Pate Valley, that sort of thing, etc. Anyway, 9 miles puts me half way between the HSC and the next junction. Following nights would be Return Creek, Smedburg Lake area, the spring area at foot of Rodgers Canyon, Register Creek area, and Glen Aulin.

Dale, that first pond north of Elbow Hill does look interesting. Might get a view down into Virginia Canyon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2010 12:50AM by tomdisco.
April 01, 2010 07:17AM
Whut!?!

Where's Table Lake in that plan?
April 01, 2010 01:58PM
bill-e-g
Whut!?!

Where's Table Lake in that plan?

Table Lake got bumped in favor of Surprise Lake, the true pearl of Yosemite. Your own photos betray you. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
April 01, 2010 02:11PM
If u can muster it. Go to the top of Volunteer too.
(look in the registry for "Chick-on Wuz Ear"winking smiley
April 03, 2010 12:36AM
tomdisco
Someday I'm going to do the PCT--Rodgers Canyon--Grand Canyon loop. I'm not real fond of dry camps and prefer to be near a small source of filterable water. The Trails Illustrated map shows traces of water along the Pacific Crest Trail about half way between Glen Aulin HSC and the McCabe Lakes junction. Are these water sources still there in late July / early August or are they dried up by then?

Heading N from the Glen Aulin HSC, the trail encounters a long meadow after about 3.3 miles. The meadow runs about another 1.3 miles, essentially to the location of Elbow Hill. There was water visible in at least several places along the meadow creek when I came through there during the Labor Day weekend of last year. (Have photos from the trail that clearly show it.)

Also, if I recall correctly, this topic was visited about 1-2 years ago and some posts stated that water can be found in a couple of the lakes on the W side of the trail. According to the maps that I have, most of those lakes are seasonal but the one 0.7 mi. NNE of Elbow Hill and a pair centered around 1.3 mi. NE of Elbow Hill are supposedly "permanent."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2010 12:45AM by szalkowski.
April 06, 2010 08:13AM
Some friends and I are also planning on this route in late September/early October.
1. Will we have anything to worry about regarding water or weather in the first week of Oct?
2. How many days are you planning on? We're thinking 6 back-country with two nights at a backpackers CG.
April 06, 2010 09:54AM
JohnStream
Some friends and I are also planning on this route in late September/early October.
1. Will we have anything to worry about regarding water or weather in the first week of Oct?
2. How many days are you planning on? We're thinking 6 back-country with two nights at a backpackers CG.

Got other Yosemite hiking plans for this year; this particular trip is for next year. Anyway, here's the hiking plan:
Day 1---From Lembert Dome to half way up Cold Canyon
Day 2---Matterhorn Creek area
Day 3---Smedburg/Surprise Lake area
Day 4---Foot of Rodgers Canyon prior to long descent into Pate Valley
Day 5---Register Creek area
Day 6---Glen Aulin HSC backpacker's camp w/ meal plan at the HSC (I'll be very hungry by then)
Day 7---Back to Tuoulumne Meadows, cheesburger and fries (this is a mandatory ritual).

Your plan presumably puts you near water every night so I doubt that would be a problem. Others can speak to the weather in early October.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2010 09:58AM by tomdisco.
April 07, 2010 10:11AM
JohnStream

TM Campground closes Sept. 27 - which means u can't camp there
others on Tioga are still open then though

Chick-on is looking at you!
April 12, 2010 02:02PM
Thanks for the heads up on 9/27. I called the permit office to see what my options were and he said Porcupine Flat should still be open that time of year. Not as good as the Backpackers CG up in Tuolumne, but it is the next best thing.
April 07, 2010 09:39PM
I've always found water up there at Smokey Jack Meadows (that's what one ranger said is the name for that broad meadow midway betwee Glen Aulin HSC and McCabe Lakes Junction).

Maybe not enough to erect a Six Flags Theme Park with orcas and dolphins swishing waves on spectators ... whatever ... but enough to filter out of a pond or what have you ..

I've stayed by that meadow on occasion.

But there're stretches before/after that where no stream is nearby.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login