Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (78% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Hodgdon meadow questions

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Hodgdon meadow questions
April 03, 2010 10:09AM
I am taking a group camping in August, and we will be staying at one of the Hodgdon meadow group sites. Has anyone stayed there? What is it like, and what is the capacity of the bear lockers? Plenty of space for a group of about 28 that eats lots of food? Also, has anyone heard of bears breaking into enclosed cargo trailers for food? Thanks!
avatar Re: Hodgdon meadow questions
April 03, 2010 10:50AM
Hodgdon Meadow is one of the less glamorous campgrounds but is OK. I don't think there is much of a bear problem there as it is right on the edge of the park boundary and due to hunting, I believe, the bears are less likely to mix with people. Plus I haven't heard much about bears being an issue there. There are plenty of food storage lockers there and usually rigid sided campers and trailers are OK for food storage. Bears are most likely to rip into cars in parking lots as opposed to cars parked at campsites.
During the day don't leave food out and unattended for two reasons, it will attract any bears that are skilled in getting food from campers, and it will attract rangers with itchy pen fingers looking to write a citation for improper food storage.

Arrive well before dark as it is extremely difficult to set up in the dark let alone find your site.

Old Dude
April 03, 2010 11:09AM
mrcondron
Arrive well before dark as it is extremely difficult to set up in the dark....

Actually, it is good practice to be able to set up one's tent/shelter by touch alone. If you do it at home 2 or 3 times with your eyes closed, then you should be sufficiently proficient to do it in total darkness at your campsite if you do arrive late.
April 03, 2010 03:34PM
I'd be surprised if there wasn't plenty of bear box space there.
Re: Hodgdon meadow questions
April 03, 2010 09:22PM
Great! Thanks for the helpful responses. Most of the campers we will be bringing are first timers. The thought of having them set up their tents in the dark is tempting.......
April 03, 2010 09:51PM
dobber
The thought of having them set up their tents in the dark is tempting.......

Reminds me too much of being tortured in Boy Sprouts.
April 04, 2010 02:10AM
dobber
Great! Thanks for the helpful responses. Most of the campers we will be bringing are first timers. The thought of having them set up their tents in the dark is tempting.......

You might try having them try set up the tents before the trip on a bright sunny day in the yard with the instructions in front of them.

Thats a lot easier than in the dark the first night of the trip! smiling smiley

(and if you're a city slicker you have no concept of dark nights. we're so spoiled in the cities, it never truly gets dark, there's too many street lights!)
April 04, 2010 05:53AM
qumqats

(we're so spoiled in the cities, it never truly gets dark, there's too many street lights!)

Spoiled? That's not the word I would use...maybe pitiable. smiling smiley I lived in the city for awhile and I couldn't get out fast enough!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2010 03:24PM by sierranomad.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login