Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tenaya Lake, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (59% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Site 43 Lower Pines trailer length restriction

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Site 43 Lower Pines trailer length restriction
April 27, 2010 08:31AM
Does anybody know why this site, per the reservation system, has a 12 ft. max. trailer length restriction? It's a double wide driveway which is 34 feet long. I remember years ago putting a 24 ft. trailer in there along with a mini motor home, and an Expedition. Doesn't make sense.
avatar Re: Site 43 Lower Pines trailer length restriction
April 27, 2010 08:34AM
Perhaps a tree has become larger?
April 27, 2010 08:35AM
My photo of the site certainly shows something larger in it: http://yosemitecampsites.com/lowerpines/index.php/43
April 27, 2010 02:36PM
That just happens to be one of my 'regular' sites, as I've stayed in at least 6 different times over the past 15 years or so. smiling smiley
It's pretty open behind the parking pad, and while I don't have a photo of the pad, I can't think of any trees near it as an
encumbrance to a long trailer.
The NPS site shows a max tent trailer length of 12 ft., and an RV length of up to 24 ft.:

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/lpsites.htm

Do tent trailers even come longer than 12 ft? confused smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2010 02:37PM by PineCone.
April 27, 2010 02:37PM
PineCone
Do tent trailers even come longer than 12 ft? confused smiley

Uhaul?
April 27, 2010 02:43PM
Sure, hard-sided deluxe trailers you tow behind your truck, but tent trailers are those jobs on two wheels where you fold open the wings,
and pop up the tent stored down inside. Can't recall seeing a really long version of one of those!
April 27, 2010 02:57PM
I can't link to the individual photo, but here is another web site with photos of Lower Pines sites:

http://campsitephotos.com/campground/Lower-Pines

(Scroll down thru the photo grid on the right of the screen to a photo of # 43).

As you can see in the photo of site # 43, nothing but level ground behind the pad, and no trees in the way...
April 27, 2010 04:26PM
Hey Pine Cone, thanks for that (new to me) site on pics. of campsites. I had only known of the one campsite pictures site mentioned above before. Once again I'm baffled at why this site is listed as 12 foot trailers only. As I said before I put my 24 ft. trailer in there many years ago. Maybe the reservation service transposed the numbers and it was supposed to be 21 ft. instead of 12 feet? I know years ago they listed this site as a tent only site. Maybe they decided to compromise now? Doesn't really matter as I'm tenting it next week anyways. I may go over to the campground reservation office and see if they have a good explanation to this.
April 27, 2010 03:06PM
Hmm, in the past few months there have been questions asked about Lower Pines sites 42, 43, and 44:

http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,23398

http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,24419

Three sites all together, what are the odds of that? Next up should be a question about # 41 or # 45! grinning smiley
April 29, 2010 04:41PM
They've all been good questions..
May 17, 2010 08:44AM
Maybe it is the backing up access into the site. But we, and obviously others, if you look at the rigs in the site photos at yosemitecampsites.com, ignore those restrictions. One of our 4 sites that we have on our upcoming trip is 13' x 35' (driveway) and it has the same 12' restriction, yet in the site photo there is a 5th wheel and a truck fitting lengthwise. (We usually have to fit our truck parallel to the road.)

By the way, most tent trailers, when folded out, are longer than my 22' fifth wheel. But my sister has one and they don't even need the truck to move it into their site. Sometimes they just unhook and walk it in.
May 18, 2010 08:20AM
I received an official ruling from the Park service on this. If you can fit it in there, you're good. Of course you have to stay on the paved pad with all of your equipment and conform to all of the other campground rules i.e. number of vehicles per site, number of people, etc. The trailer length rules were based on how long of a trailer a "novice" could back into the site. And if you get there and can't fit your equipment into the site the Park service is not responsible for getting you another site.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login