Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome from the Four Mile Trail to Glacier Point, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (55% of Full)

Advanced

Re: HSC's

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

May 29, 2010 09:54AM
Does anybody know at what point a decision will be made regarding opening the HSC's this year? On my trip in August I have a paid reservation for the "meal only" option at Merced Lake HSC, mostly to lighten my load and provide plenty of fuel (called pigging out) for the Lewis Creek trail the following day.
May 29, 2010 06:46PM
I work at Vogelsang HSC and just posed the same question to the manager of the high sierra camps 2 days ago. If they can't get them open by the end of July then they will not open. Right now I am being told a 2 to 3 week delay but it's anyones guess at this point until the road opens and we have some serious melt happen. It is a big priority for them to get the camps open as so many people visit them and enjoy them. I am hopeful but realistic! Melt Melt Melt!!!
May 29, 2010 07:10PM
highsierra1,

Thank you for the update. Keep us posted.
June 01, 2010 08:57AM
Do a comparison of Dana Meadows from 2006 vs. this year.
There is a boat-a-load of snow up there yet. I just spent 3 days hiking in it.
Not up to your eyeballs.... above your eyeballs.
June 03, 2010 08:17AM
After flying over the Sierra's on my way to the midwest yesterday I don't think it's gonna happen this year. There's A LOT of snow up there. sniff sniff sad smiley
June 15, 2010 01:27PM
Being told we may go up July 16th. Don't know if that's opening date or arrival date for set ups but either way it's good news for now!!!
June 15, 2010 03:51PM
highsierra1
Being told we may go up July 16th. Don't know if that's opening date or arrival date for set ups but either way it's good news for now!!!

Just in time for the bumper crop of mosquitoes we'll be having this year?
June 16, 2010 09:41AM
eeek
highsierra1

Just in time for the bumper crop of mosquitoes we'll be having this year?

That's why I planned a month later this year. I knew about the late snow pack this year also. Ask me anything!
June 17, 2010 06:38PM
It's hard to imagine the mosquitoes being any worse than they already are up there on a dry year. It's apocalyptic!
June 17, 2010 10:57PM
so does that mean the number of mosquitoes is less in August/September?
June 18, 2010 06:45AM
wrecksduke
so does that mean the number of mosquitoes is less in August/September?

One would think so. Less water means less places to breed.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login