Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (61% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Thanks

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Thanks
June 11, 2010 07:07AM
Just wanted to say thanks to all those people on the forum who posted regular updates on the conditions of Tioga / Sonora pass, and helped with my other Yosemite / SN general questions.

Unfortunately my date of travel 27th May Tioga, Sonora and Ebbets passes were all closed so I had to take Carson, which turned a 200 mile drive that day into a 440 mile drive. Still with the scenary I went through it was amazing.

I thought Yosemite was an amazing place, and my visit made me realise it's not a matter of if I return but when.

Thanks all.
Duncan
June 11, 2010 09:16AM
Duncan,

You are welcome.

I would like to take a moment to extend a hearty welcome to all the newcomers to this website discussion forum. It's been mostly the regulars all winter but suddenly there has been a considerable increase in newcomers posting questions and comments. Some of you may find the longtimers a bit twisted with perplexing humor and oddball mascots but we like to have some fun here too. Keep the questions and comments coming. We want to do everything we can to expand your knowledge and enjoyment of the High Sierra, especially Yosemite. Maybe we will meet on the trail someday. Welcome aboard.

Jim
June 18, 2010 09:54AM
Yes, Thanks, Thanks, Thanks! I check in everyday to see what's happening. I'm amazed at some of the pix and so glad you all post the current pictures since I can't get there as often as I'd like (which would be every week/month if I could). I really appreciate all of the updates! Will be in TM in July, August and September - can't wait!
June 11, 2010 09:33AM
I took some time-lapse videos of my journey (actually photos every second for parts of the journey) and when I've finished processing them in a few days I'll post the resulting videos if anyone is interested in seeing them. I have to warn though they will probably be amateurish, I'm still new to photography smiling smiley
June 11, 2010 10:12PM
DuncanMeyers,

no worries ... no more amateurish than a few of the galleries you can find around here ... especially mine, for sure! (see link below; some photos from a couple years ago)

http://www.anvanho.com/yose2/index.html

Looking forward to any pics you post!

geez, I can't wait to get up there, it's already mid-June 2010 .... some posts on the board describe the stream crossings right now a bit like a "Kontiki" escapade! (hahaha ... exagerration!)

... oh well, ... think I'll suit up, say, in early July!

Anvanho
June 18, 2010 07:37AM
Just wanted to echo the thoughts of duncanmeyer. I have been reading the posts since the first of the year and have enjoyed the comments and humor of the other contributors. There is a lot of experienced Yosemite hikers contributing and I have gained a lot of useful information from them. I'm just a little bit jealous, it seems some of you either work in the park or live near enough to get there quite often. I grew up in Southern Calif and used to hike and backpack the Sierras often. Now I live in Southern Utah and I try to get to Yosemite at least once a year but it's a 500 mile drive through the middle of Nevada. I already spent a week camping in North Pines and I'm looking forward to coming back to Tuolumne Meadows in late July for 10 days of solo hiking. Once again just wanted to thank everyone for the great useful information.
June 18, 2010 09:14AM
Another thanks here. I logged on using a link from High Sierra Topix.

I have worked in Yosemite Valley and got married there...always look forward to the opening of Tioga and other events happening in the valley and in the whole park.

I like the timely announcements, warnings and advice. The NPS or our local news don't seen to get info out as fast. And have enjoyed the characters on this site, with their stories and trip reports.

The only news I didn't pass along to my traveling companions (we towed trailers over Tioga Pass on June 5 for week long valley reservations,) was the culvert blockage which might've delayed the pass opening. Just left as planned, with fingers crossed. Couldn't have asked for a better week there (except that my video camera is now in Hetch Hetchy.)
June 18, 2010 11:28AM
Hey Duncan,

Glad your trip went well. I think Sonora and Ebbets both opened one day after your deadline. Figures, doesn't it? It's been a strange spring.
June 18, 2010 11:58AM
hikerchick395, Must have passed you on Tioga Pass on June 5. I was towing a trailer ending my week in Yosemite Valley heading east. Had a great time! Waterfalls were awesome! Everywhere! I'm looking forward to my trip in late July at Tuolumne Meadows. Will only bring my truck camper this time since I will be traveling alone. No one wants to hike with me I guess. I have always loved Yosemite and Tioga Pass. To me Yosemite is the Disneyland of hiking.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login