Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Fern on the Four Mile Trail, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (56% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Garnet & 1000 Island Lakes

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Garnet & 1000 Island Lakes
June 21, 2010 06:19AM
We're having a real hard time finding current information about the condition in the Ansel Adams Wilderness. I understand that there is plenty of snow still around and creek crossings are high but how about the lakes themselves? I see that Tioga Lake and Ellery Lake were both melted out last week and they are at a similar elevation - is this a good barometer at all for what we can expect? Has anyone actually seen these lakes recently or have an idea what they would look like in a weeks time given the present conditions?

Thanks

BTW - We're trying to find the same info for Big Pine Lakes in the Palisades too.
avatar Re: Garnet & 1000 Island Lakes
June 21, 2010 07:33AM
Reds Meadow isn't even open yet. (opens June 24th though)

Maybe someone on the Whitney Board knows more. They will def. know something about Palisades.
East side is sooooo far for me... We don't hit it much.

That being said... it's gotta still be 100% snow coverage above 9000ft. Maybe the ice has thawed
off the lake completely b/c of the size... but size doesn't always matter (hahaha)... depends on depth too.
smiling smiley

I'd like to see any pix if you find someone who went there recently.
June 21, 2010 09:44AM
Would love to hear any info on this as well. I'll be at 1000 Island on 7/8 but would love to see some pics before then!
June 22, 2010 06:03AM
David and Karen
We're having a real hard time finding current information about the condition in the Ansel Adams Wilderness. I understand that there is plenty of snow still around and creek crossings are high but how about the lakes themselves? I see that Tioga Lake and Ellery Lake were both melted out last week and they are at a similar elevation - is this a good barometer at all for what we can expect? Has anyone actually seen these lakes recently or have an idea what they would look like in a weeks time given the present conditions?

Thanks

BTW - We're trying to find the same info for Big Pine Lakes in the Palisades too.

The g/f and I are climbing in the North Palisade area this coming weekend, and will also be around Wonder Lakes. Reports are that the trails are mostly clear.

I was just at Horseshoe Meadows this sat/sun, and it was utterly and completely snow free.

Here's a current thread (w/pics!) about the area: http://www.summitpost.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=53106
June 22, 2010 07:14AM
Thanks for this. Trying to figure out where to go 4th of July week.
June 22, 2010 07:35AM
I found a pic on Flickr of Big Pine Lakes from the 15th - all but 5th Lake is melted out - I've also had this confirmed by first hand experience

The best I've found for Ansel Adams was a first hand account for Ediza - mostly frozen this past weekend and lots of snow . We are going to try and push our permits back a few days and hope for the best. It's not the snow that bothers us but the possibility that the lake won't 'be there'. That's why I was hoping someone had an idea of what the melt would be like in relation to nearby high lakes like Ellery & Tioga.

Cheers
June 22, 2010 08:16AM
David and Karen
It's not the snow that bothers us but the possibility that the lake won't 'be there'.

I'm just curious. If the snow doesn't bother you why does it matter if the lake is 'there' or not?
Is it that you just want to see an unfrozen lake? All the creeks / outlets of lakes will be flowing
now so water is not the issue. Just trying to understand the mindset.
Or is it fishing?

(don't take this as a slight at all) (myself.. I kinda like to see the lakes frozen over)

Thanks for the info btw.

One other note... I brought my fish-on pole July 4th trip in 2006 stoked to fish Tilden Lake and
Dorothy Lake in N. Yosemite. Uh... oopsie.... Tilden was frozen (we didn't even get there
due to RAGING Falls Creek)... as were all the other Lakes... I tried fishing Dorothy in
the area that was unfrozen and it was futile.
(saw Tilden from Forsyth Peak... haven't brought fishing pole since)

Have fun

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2010 08:20AM by bill-e-g.
June 22, 2010 09:22AM
Well we were hoping to raft in the lakes but the main reason is photography
June 22, 2010 10:11AM
David and Karen
Well we were hoping to raft in the lakes but the main reason is photography

Cool.
(although Chick-on thinks it should be weekendswithchickon. )
smiling smiley

What raft you carrying?
June 22, 2010 10:31AM
Flytepacker Packraft We also have the now defunct Curtis Designs raft.
June 22, 2010 10:50AM
David and Karen
Flytepacker Packraft We also have the now defunct Curtis Designs raft.

Uh... where are the oars?

I think my old Sevylor is about 3lb 13oz. Old Noggin not 100% sure though.
Oars included.

http://www.sevylor.com/Trail-Boat-P1825C40.aspx

Trail boatin' is a blast... but puttng all your gear in there with you... u better know how to swim.
(I take my shoes/boots off just in case)

(boated all the way across Eleanor in the past... smiling smiley )

Good stuff.

Seriously... does it come with oars? Or what you do?
June 22, 2010 11:43AM
To give you an idea of the snow levels and what's happened to them, I took these pics I took of the same thing, the first on 2/28 of this year and the second/third from last Sunday, two days ago. They are the gears at the first intake of the California Aqueduct up between Independence and Big Pine, off Goodale Rd. Middle of the Owens Valley more or less looking in the same direction. The g/f is doing a grant project on the restoration of Owns Lake, so we're up there at least once every two weekends, snapping shots of the river and of Owens Lake.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2010 11:43AM by tanngrisnir3.
June 22, 2010 02:04PM
Cool.

The east side and (of course) the south facing slopes will clear before the others.

Can we see some pictures of Owens Lake please?
June 22, 2010 02:11PM
bill-e-g

How about the Owens Lake DustCam?
http://www.gbuapcd.org/dustcam.htm

Also, here is a nice link for webcams located throughout the Sierra:
http://www.sierravisionsstock.com/sierravisions/sierra-nevada-webcams/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2010 02:12PM by szalkowski.
June 22, 2010 02:12PM
Cool. Can you find the oars for that boat now?

smiling smiley
June 22, 2010 03:17PM
Got this repsonse from them. Pretty expensive though. Need to weigh the Sevylor boat only now...

From them:
Thank you for your interest in our product. Like other packraft manufacturers our boats do on come with oars/paddles. Some people will want to use a kayak paddle with this type of boat, while others will use short oars, and still others will only use the blades of the oars and nothing else. I know of one case where an individual uses two halves of a one gallon orange juice container as oars. In an effort to keep the cost as low as possible, and not ship something with the product that some users may not even use, we chose to not include oars. Personally, I utilize a Kwik Tek 3 section kayak paddle in a two short oar configuration. http://www.amazon.com/Kwik-Tek-Paddle-Section-Aluminum/dp/B000FE5P0G/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1277241500&sr=8-7. Combined the two short oars weigh approximately 16oz, making this a reasonably light solution. Some would balk at this type of weight. Again, personal preferences are so divergent, that it would have been impossible to satisfy everyone’s preference.

Thanks again for your interest in our product.
June 22, 2010 04:49PM
bill-e-g

smiling smiley

What's wrong with the ones you already have?

June 22, 2010 05:24PM
eeek
bill-e-g

smiling smiley

What's wrong with the ones you already have?

Rolling on floor laugh

I'll run it by him... but he was whining about his butt getting cold and wett
just going out on a little ice. Little Baby!

http://picasaweb.google.com/yosemite.chick.on/Matthes#5485247482146162274
June 22, 2010 03:16PM
bill-e-g
Cool.

The east side and (of course) the south facing slopes will clear before the others.

Edited to move pics over to the left.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2010 03:19PM by tanngrisnir3.
June 22, 2010 03:20PM
Thanks!
June 22, 2010 03:20PM
Hopefully this pulls all the Owens Lake pics over to the left.

ck! Be careful what you ask for, because I've taken tons. She's taken more. We're often out in the center of the lake, but these were taken from all over:

Here's a perspective shot. That is an SUV of some sort, center-left, driving away from me.

This is my fave shot. It's right near the center of the lake, where ancient trees have ossified and been piled up, together with trash, over decades. On either side of the pile, you can see cars on the 395.

Taken in the extreme SW part of the lake.

Some of the the tens and tens of earth-movers that LADWP moves around all the time

Same ones, different perspective

The derelict PPG plant over on the far west 'shore'

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login