Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Deer in Yosemite

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (60% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Suggestions for Commando Camping

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Suggestions for Commando Camping
June 24, 2010 10:03AM
Arriving at the park late on a Saturday afternoon is unavoidable. There are no legit camping opportunities available anywhere near the park (trust us - we checked)

Where could one go to get a little shut eye? - Especially West of the park if that is even possible.
June 24, 2010 10:53AM
There is a USFS campground (Summit Camp) off of Chowchilla Mountain Road. You can get there through the park by heading west across the golf course (across the street from the Wawona Hotel) and picking up Chowchilla. The road is pretty gnarly though (unmaintained dirt). It's passable in a car (I've done it in my Jetta a handful of times) but a truck/jeep would definitely be better.

I've stayed there on 2 different occasions - the first time I had the place to myself, the second time it was me and a family of 10 that appeared to be living there (pretty weird but super friendly). In any event, no trouble finding a place to camp.

I *think* this is the location, but I may be off. It's definitely on the south side of the road somewhere out this way (there are signs, sort of):

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=37.485776,-119.720178&num=1&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=23.875,57.630033&ie=UTF8&ll=37.486437,-119.719992&spn=0.048832,0.06669&z=14

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2010 10:59AM by andykee.
June 24, 2010 02:49PM
Thanks - I'm not sure that would work - it looks like it would take longer to reach the core of the park from there then it would from the BLM land on the Eastern side.

I find it hard to believe that their aren't hordes of late arrivals who spend the night in parking lots, picnic areas and along random dirt roads close to the main highway.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2010 03:24PM by David and Karen.
June 24, 2010 03:16PM
Check out the Snow Park area just south of the South Entrance. Perhaps a mile?
Don't know whether it is open or legal - oh never mind...
avatar Re: Suggestions for Commando Camping
June 24, 2010 03:43PM
Not sure this would work for you or not... West side o park is bounded by NF so...
afaik you are allowed to disperse camp there....
There are loads of spots along Evergreen Road on the way to HH that you can park on the
side of the road and sleepy.
Never done it.. but I'm fairly certain that is ok. You could go to Evergreen Lodge and have din din...
then drive back south and pull off to side of road and sleep.

Anyone correct me if I am mistaken... loads o people do that during the Strawberry Fest.

There are other side dirt roads further west right off of 120. Never done that either...

Good luck
June 24, 2010 03:52PM
Found this:

You may camp outside of developed campgrounds in most parts of the Forest at no cost. Potable water, toilets, and other amenities are not generally available. If you choose to camp outside developed areas, be sure to bring adequate water or be prepared to purify spring water before drinking. Water on the Sierra National Forest may be contaminated with Giardia or other microorganisms. Also be sure you have a Campfire Permit if you plan to build a fire. Most undeveloped areas also require you to remove all of your own trash. Take Home What You Bring.

Note: Dispersed camping is not permitted within the boundaries of the Huntington Lake, Shaver Lake, Dinkey Creek and Bass Lake Recreation Areas.
June 24, 2010 03:55PM
Several areas may be toxic. Best to just staycation.
Raving mad Chickon Boo's may also be present.
June 24, 2010 03:55PM
bill-e-g
Raving mad Chickon Boo's may also be present.

Flocks of them?
June 24, 2010 03:58PM
I've have yet to see a flock. (I looked... <on eBay> )
(sadly the species appears to be on the decline)
June 24, 2010 06:53PM
I've camped along Evergreen Road dozens of times. Go east about 3 miles to Ackerson Meadow and take dirt road IS25. There are also many other places along that road.

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=37.84283,-119.83938&z=15&t=T
June 24, 2010 09:04PM
We have a winner!

Thanks
June 24, 2010 10:22PM
I am also looking to camp Sat. night. What about the Lee Vining side? I see that there is no dispersed camping in Lee Vining Canyon or June Lake loop. I see a forest road up to Saddlebag Lake. That would be very close if I can camp there.
June 25, 2010 06:36AM
Going east down Tioga Pass through Lee Vining Canyon a couple of miles from US395 there are a couple of forest service campgrounds. The one farthest east is the larger of the two. Even on a Saturday night I have always found a sight in there. $14 a night. No potable water in the campground. There is potable water off the side of the road a little further down. I stayed there Saturday night June 5.
June 25, 2010 06:48PM
Good to know. I called the ranger today and found out that you can't dispersed camp within 2 or 21/2 miles of a developed camp I can't remember which. That rules out the Saddlebag lake area because you can't get that far away. However he said that since they are all 1st come 1st serve you can usually get a site. That would be perfect.
June 25, 2010 06:50PM
traildad
That rules out the Saddlebag lake area because you can't get that far away.

The entire area from Tioga Pass to 395 is developed campsites only.
June 25, 2010 06:53PM
From http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/inyo/recreation/rec-reports/mono.shtml

Dispersed camping is not allowed in Lee Vining Canyon west of Hwy 395 and in the June Lake Loop.
June 25, 2010 11:54PM
Saddlebag will most likely have flocks of people. The Lee Vining campgrounds almost never fill up and it's a lot warmer at night.

If you are parked legally and are a backpacker you can just bring your stuff and walk into the woods a couple miles, I think it's 4 out of Toulumne but I think you need a permit? I've done plenty of camping out of sight, possibly closer than 2 miles from a trailhead, in Yosemite. Use common sense, zero impact campsites - no fires etc, and set up late and get out at sunrise. Fines are steep if caught so be careful and I will guarantee the rangers will see your car and check it out so be stealthy and parked legally. I've camped off Evergreen road also and not had a problem.
June 26, 2010 12:19AM
I am hoping to stay as close as possible and at a high elevation. Part of the benefit of arriving Sat. for a Mon. start is to spend some time up around 7000 feet. I will try Saddlebag and Sawmill campgrounds. If not there, then down to Lee Vining.
June 26, 2010 12:49AM
traildad
I will try Saddlebag and Sawmill campgrounds. If not there, then down to Lee Vining.

I don't think the road to Saddlebag is open yet. Ellery Lake campground is open but fills fast.
June 26, 2010 06:44PM
If the conditions improve in time my hike start July 12. I am going up the Sat. before. I really don't want to get to extreme with the water crossings.
June 26, 2010 06:54PM
eeek
traildad
I will try Saddlebag and Sawmill campgrounds. If not there, then down to Lee Vining.

I don't think the road to Saddlebag is open yet. Ellery Lake campground is open but fills fast.

There's Tioga Lake campground(1st lake as you're driving eastwards out of the park, Ellery Lake is the second one) and Junction campground(on the left right after you start up towards Saddlebag Lake( but if the road isn't open yet. . . ) There's also a walk-in only campground about 1/2 way up Saddlebag Lake road. All of these would fill up QUICK. Your best bet might be the campgrounds in Lone Pine Canyon.
June 28, 2010 09:48PM
apeman45
Saddlebag will most likely have flocks of people. The Lee Vining campgrounds almost never fill up and it's a lot warmer at night.

I am contemplating driving to Lone Pine etc. from the East Bay area and trying to find as high campground as possible for the first night.
I was confused by this post by apeman45, because, according to http://jrabold.net/yosemite/campnlv.htm Saddlebag Lake belongs to Lee Vining Area.

What are my chances to find an available space near Tioga Pass on Thursday July 8th or Friday July 9th night?
June 28, 2010 11:07PM
Saddlebag is about as close to the Tioga Pass entrance as you can get. It's just north of Junction campground which is two miles east of Tioga on 120.

Old Dude
June 29, 2010 12:31AM
Yury
I am contemplating driving to Lone Pine etc. from the East Bay area and trying to find as high campground as possible for the first night.
I was confused by this post by apeman45, because, according to http://jrabold.net/yosemite/campnlv.htm Saddlebag Lake belongs to Lee Vining Area.

What are my chances to find an available space near Tioga Pass on Thursday July 8th or Friday July 9th night?

There's a campground at Horseshoe Meadows. It's probably the highest. There's also a campground at Onion Valley. It's about 9180'.
June 28, 2010 11:34PM
For the Lee Vining areas some of you are discussing, if you want to legally disperse camp at higher altitudes the night before a backpack to help aclimate, drive up the Virginia Lakes road north of Mono Lake where the end is at 9.8k and there are lots of spots to drop a bag roadside at over 9k. If 8.4k is good enough, take the Obsidian Dome dirt road a bit south of the U395 June Lake junction and turn out to the Hartley Springs campground that is always empty or anywhere along that road. Otherwise there are numberless sagebrush places along dirt roads spurs off US395 at lower elevations at 6.7k to 7.5k elevations.
June 29, 2010 05:40AM
DavidSenesac
For the Lee Vining areas some of you are discussing, if you want to legally disperse camp at higher altitudes the night before a backpack to help aclimate, drive up the Virginia Lakes road north of Mono Lake where the end is at 9.8k and there are lots of spots to drop a bag roadside at over 9k. If 8.4k is good enough, take the Obsidian Dome dirt road a bit south of the U395 June Lake junction and turn out to the Hartley Springs campground that is always empty or anywhere along that road. Otherwise there are numberless sagebrush places along dirt roads spurs off US395 at lower elevations at 6.7k to 7.5k elevations.

Not entirely on topic, but apparently the trailhead on the Rock Creek Road that gives access to Morgan Pass is the highest in the Sierras:

http://www.thesierraweb.com/recreation/hiking.cfm#

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login