Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Vernel Fall, Merced River, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (74% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Think I can get a walk in site on a Fri Morning? TM, or WW, or Tamarack?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Think I can get a walk in site on a Fri Morning? TM, or WW, or Tamarack?
July 22, 2010 12:19AM
I am driving all the way from Salt Lake, stopping in Reno, and planning on staying one or two nights in either TM, Tamarack, or WW. What are the chances of making it? I am staying in Reno on the 5th, and will wake up early on the 6th and drive in, so it will take me about 3 hours to get there from Reno. Should I leave by 6am and try to arrive by 9? Is this early enough to secure a walk in tent campsite at any of these sites? Should I call before leaving? Thanks!
avatar Re: Think I can get a walk in site on a Fri Morning? TM, or WW, or Tamarack?
July 22, 2010 07:03AM
Members of this forum (as with any group) have different opinions on which is the "best" campground to stay at. (I know this wasn't your question, but...) In my opinion, Tuolumne Meadows is far superior to the others you mention. At TM you have an abundance of hiking trails within walking distance. You also have a store and "cafeteria" within walking distance.

What time to arrive for walk-in? Again, you may get different opinions. I like to get in line early to increase my chances of getting a spot. My wife and I are going to be trying to get a spot at TM in August and we will aim to get there no later than 7 a.m.

Have a great time!
Thanks so much. How early do you think I would need to arrive in order to get a walk in on a Sunday or Monday? Is there any place farther west that has nice grounds so we can go on some short hikes and see glacier point and HD?
avatar Re: Think I can get a walk in site on a Fri Morning? TM, or WW, or Tamarack?
July 23, 2010 03:57PM
How about Bridalvale Creek campground? It's on Glacier Point road.
Do you think I could get a walk in on a sunday morning there?
July 23, 2010 06:37PM
jamesjames
Do you think I could get a walk in on a sunday morning there?

At Yosemite Creek? You shouldn't have any problem on a Sunday morning there.
July 24, 2010 08:22AM
I've never tried for Sunday morning at TM, but I wouldn't hesitate to try it.
Thanks for the response. The only reason why I would have picked a site farther west is because I am only staying one night and am entering from the east entrance and departing from the west, but I still want to have time to drive to the village and also to glacier point. As of right now I am guessing I will try for TM, and just hang out around there for the day, and then on Sat morning take off and go see to those two places. Is there any other recommend place that I could get if I arrive early that is a nice campground, or is TM just a really nice place and worth staying for a day? What about Crane or one of the walk ins near the village?
Thanks again!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2010 10:13AM by jamesjames.
July 22, 2010 07:08PM
jamesjames
is TM just a really nice place and worth staying for a day?

Absolutely! I could stay there for a week and easily fill each day with great hikes.
July 22, 2010 10:17AM
If you can't get Tuolumne Meadows, you shouldn't have trouble finding a site at one of the others. And don't forget Porcupine Flat and Yosemite Creek.
Re: Think I can get a walk in site on a Fri Morning? TM, or WW, or Tamarack?
July 22, 2010 05:56PM
I love Yosemite Creek - spaces not on top of each other and quiet. Only problem is a slightly bumpy 4 - 6 mile drive of Tioga rd. No services but very nice.
July 22, 2010 06:56PM
apeman45
I love Yosemite Creek - spaces not on top of each other and quiet. Only problem is a slightly bumpy 4 - 6 mile drive of Tioga rd. No services but very nice.

I think Porcupine Flat is prettier. But it does have the highway right there.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login