Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tuolumne Meadows and Lembert Dome during a summer storm, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (78% of Full)

Advanced

Re: first timer

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

first timer
August 17, 2010 05:38PM
Is there an area in the park where cougar sightings are more common? Also if anyone has seen or photographed one please share . Thanks, Indystone
August 17, 2010 06:07PM
You will be very very lucky to see one.

I saw prints at Alder Creek Falls once, in the trail. They are probably all over the park but are real good at not being seen.
August 17, 2010 06:09PM
I've never seen one in the park.
August 17, 2010 06:28PM
Sightings are beyond rare.

Old Dude
August 17, 2010 07:12PM
I've seen more prints at lower elevations... there are a lot of them out there. They probably are more numerous where there are lots of deer. Used to have friends who hunted with dogs all around the foothills, they treed lions all the time, only shot one when they were on contract with a rancher to take out a nuisance stock animal eating lion.

I think lions have been on the upswing in numbers. They are just so elusive you never see them - and if you do, it's time to go into defense mode, it probably means the cat thinks you are lunch.

We found half a fawn near the trail to Mono Pass a couple weeks ago. I don't know that bears are fast enough to get a fawn.
August 17, 2010 07:15PM
AlmostThere
They are just so elusive you never see them - and if you do, it's time to go into defense mode, it probably means the cat thinks you are lunch.

No, if the cat thinks you are lunch, you will get hit from behind.
August 17, 2010 07:43PM
eeek
AlmostThere
They are just so elusive you never see them - and if you do, it's time to go into defense mode, it probably means the cat thinks you are lunch.

They tend to be most active during the twilight periods, both morning and evening.

[I live in a canyon and the S hillside goes up at a 40° angle behind my house. The trees and brush are fairly heavy and there is a faint wild animal trail located about 30-40 vertical ft. up. Several years ago, shortly after 4 AM, I walked out to pick up the newspaper from my driveway and caught a glimpse of this REALLY UGLY large dog ambling along the trail. When he stopped to look at me, it was in a clear line-of-sight area. Consequently, I managed to get a good look at him and it became obvious why he was such an ugly-looking "dog."]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2010 07:44PM by szalkowski.
August 17, 2010 07:56PM
The only time I saw one I also thought it was an ugly dog at first. winking smiley
August 18, 2010 06:52AM
eeek
AlmostThere

I've read accounts of about-to-pounce lions coming from all angles... from behind is just the most popular direction. "I looked up, and it was on a rock, getting ready..."

It helps not to be kneeling, bending or otherwise looking smaller than you are - bicyclists fixing something get hit in LA.

I don't worry about lions tho. I worry about plenty of other things that are more likely to "get" me. Like ticks. (ick)
August 19, 2010 11:08AM
You're far more likely to see Chick-on is looking at you! than a Mountain Lion.

In the wilderness have only ever seen footy prints and a single larger cat, the bobcat.
August 26, 2010 06:07PM
This avatar is about the only one you will see.
August 26, 2010 07:25PM
tomdisco
This avatar is about the only one you will see.

Or this one: Mountain Lion
avatar Let History Remember That They Were Here First
August 31, 2010 04:00PM
The revised subject heading above was the actual subtitle of the following article when it appeared in print in the OP-ED section of the L.A. Times on Sunday, 29 August, 2010:
http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-oe-oney-pavement-20100829,0,4625617.story

The printed article was also accompanied by a set of stylised wildcat tracks running vertically up its length.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login