Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (85% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Half Dome Permits for Labor Day Weekend

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Half Dome Permits for Labor Day Weekend
August 26, 2010 08:40AM
Hi all, first post so please be kind!

I am going to Yosemite over Labor Day weekend and only now found out you need permits to hike half dome. Is there anyone who has any extra for Labor Day weekend (I'm ideally looking for three) that they could give/sell to me. This novice hiker would be most appreciated. Please let me know: danpeake@yahoo.com

-Dan
avatar Re: Half Dome Permits for Labor Day Weekend
August 26, 2010 02:53PM
danpeake
Hi all, first post so please be kind!

I am going to Yosemite over Labor Day weekend and only now found out you need permits to hike half dome. Is there anyone who has any extra for Labor Day weekend (I'm ideally looking for three) that they could give/sell to me. This novice hiker would be most appreciated. Please let me know: danpeake@yahoo.com

-Dan

If you can't do Half Dome, try Clouds Rest from Tenaya Lake.
August 26, 2010 05:13PM
I agree with eeek. You might be able to get a permit if someone was kind enough to turn in theirs if they found they no longer needed it. Don't depend on this at all.

The trip from Tenaya Lake to the top of Clouds Rest is everything Half Dome is as far as views and such. Absolutely hassle free as a day hike though.

Hike to Half Dome is about 13 miles round trip. 3990' start, 8836' finish for 4846 total elevation gain.

Hike to Clouds Rest is about eight miles round trip. 8150' start, 9926' finish for 1776 total elevation gain.

Old Dude
August 26, 2010 06:46PM
mrcondron
I agree with eeek. You might be able to get a permit if someone was kind enough to turn in theirs if they found they no longer needed it. Don't depend on this at all.

The trip from Tenaya Lake to the top of Clouds Rest is everything Half Dome is as far as views and such. Absolutely hassle free as a day hike though.

Hike to Half Dome is about 13 miles round trip. 3990' start, 8836' finish for 4846 total elevation gain.

Hike to Clouds Rest is about eight miles round trip. 8150' start, 9926' finish for 1776 total elevation gain.

Mike, check your milage. It's more like 13.4 miles round trip from Tenaya Lake, and that's if you don't include the little loop around the peak.
August 26, 2010 08:04PM
I added more carefully and got 11.26. I thought I was a bit off.

Old Dude
August 27, 2010 04:44AM
Thanks all. What are the chances that if I show up I'll just be able to go up using someone's extra ticket they left with the ranger?
August 27, 2010 01:31PM
There was a recent thread about this:
Half Dome chits

I think that the answer is that Friday is certainly the best day of the week to go, even if you don't have any tickets. I'm guessing that the other weekend days also work, but there will be fewer unused chits available....get there early.

What's the downside risk? If you don't get up the cables, you can wander over to look at Quarter Domes, or go up the trail to Clouds Rest....
August 28, 2010 08:12AM
Talked to the ranger yesterday at the base of the subdome...

Only a few days this year have the permits days been full (i.e. 400 people went up).
When I got there (Fri) about 12:30 he had 15 permits he was ready to hand out.
Busiest day has been Thursday.
The permit system has worked wonders and he said they will very likely
instigate it on all days next year.

My number one word of advice... bring GOOD shoes with a grippy sole.
I was sliding all over the place going up the cables!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login