Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Nevada Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (85% of Full)

Advanced

Re: College Vs Cancer Hike for Hope to Half Dome

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

College Vs Cancer Hike for Hope to Half Dome
October 01, 2010 06:12PM
WHO: Rudy Chavarria, Jr., founder of the non-profit organization College vs Cancer as well as College Web Media, the parent company of College Web Magazine and College Web Productions. He is encouraging friends, family and college students especially to participate in this event.

WHAT: College vs Cancer’s general mission is to build and maintain a network of sponsors, donors and community outreach in order to serve college students burdened with financial hardship due to ongoing cancer - theirs or a supporting family member’s – and provide for their tuition and related expenses.

THURSDAY
October 7 6:00 a.m. Half Dome trailhead (Mist Trail) – elevation: 4100 ft
12:00 noon – 12:30 p.m. Half Dome summit – elevation: 8836 ft
4:00 p.m. – 4:30 p.m. Press Conference – Half Dome trailhead

To symbolize the monumental challenge facing those battling cancer, to raise awareness and to inspire hope and determination, Rudy Chavarria will set out to scale Yosemite National Park’s most recognizable and awe-inspiring feature – monolithic Half Dome. At the summit, he will raise a CvC banner to inaugurate the event and read a list of names honoring those who have battled cancer or are fighting it.

If you would like to add a name to that list, CvC would be honored to include it. If you also would like to have the named person to be listed as SURVIVOR, FIGHTING or IN MEMORY – please include that, as well. Send to: tim@collegewebmagazine.com

THE HALF DOME climb is actually part hike and part climb. It requires no specialized equipment or training, and thousands of visitors successfully make the trek each year. Nevertheless, it is physically demanding and not without its risks, and the final ascent near the summit will test the faint of heart. But for those with the fortitude, it is a spectacular and rewarding experience. For more information, please visit: Plan Your Trip

Rudy Chavarria on College vs Cancer and the “Half Dome Climb for Hope”:

I’ve had more than a few friends both young and old – college graduates or parents of college students – succumb to cancer. I founded College vs Cancer largely in response to them. I’ve learned that hope takes courage and tenacity, and the Half Dome climb is symbolic of that. Yosemite has always been an inspirational and meaningful place to me. It is so awe-inspiring yet so unforgiving – it definitely demands respect. My hope is that this event will garner support from other college students who will take up the cause and climb along with me. My greater aim, through the help of the media, is to create a buzz, a rallying cry to enlist the support of people everywhere.

It only seems appropriate that college students that can join me on the hike do so. We will be handing out Clif Bars from our sponsor to all who join the hike.

“Half Dome Climb for Hope” is sponsored by CLIF BAR & COMPANY.

Tim Treloar begin_of_the_skype_highlighting     end_of_the_skype_highlighting begin_of_the_skype_highlighting     end_of_the_skype_highlighting, CWM
714.767.9081 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting              714.767.9081      714.767.9081
tim@collegewebmagazine.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2010 06:17PM by Collegevscancer.
avatar Re: College Vs Cancer Hike for Hope to Half Dome
October 01, 2010 07:33PM
I know it's not a permit day, but doesn't this have the potential to violate the maximum group size number of 35?
October 02, 2010 01:13PM
Frankly, I have a feeling I will be the only one climbing at 6:00 am. I do hope at least 1 person shows up for the cause to hike with me.

-Rudy
avatar Re: College Vs Cancer Hike for Hope to Half Dome
October 03, 2010 11:02PM
Collegevscancer
Frankly, I have a feeling I will be the only one climbing at 6:00 am. I do hope at least 1 person shows up for the cause to hike with me.

-Rudy

I'd be surprised if there weren't someone already doing the hike that day that would find the company of at least one other person to be welcome. I haven't done HD as a dayhike, but I've heard that 6 AM is actually a bit on the late side.
October 05, 2010 10:14PM
Collegevscancer

-Rudy

You could get to the dome at 6 am and find people already on top. (Well, I know they won't have hiked for the cause, but....) You'll have no lack of company on the trail, most likely.

I hope you have a handle on the weather forecast and are willing to scrub it if it's too dangerous to climb... 30% chance of thunderstorms predicted for Thursday.... Not the place to be when storms roll in.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login