Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tenaya Lake, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (56% of Full)

nordvpn

Advanced

Re: The Mist Trail is Closed

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

November 23, 2010 12:23PM
Winter closures are in effect for the Mist and John Muir Trail corridor.
November 23, 2010 12:34PM
What part of the JMT is closed in winter? I thought you could use it to access the top of Vernal?
avatar Re: The Mist Trail is Closed
November 23, 2010 01:02PM
hotrod4x5
What part of the JMT is closed in winter? I thought you could use it to access the top of Vernal?

The section between Clark Point and Nevada Fall is closed in winter:

November 24, 2010 07:28AM
Do many people venture up to Nevada falls in winter?
November 24, 2010 08:10AM
Well, so far, we have someone heading to Red Peak pass asking about wilderness permits, and on another forum I frequent someone wants to climb Half Dome on Thanksgiving. I'm guessing "yes".
November 24, 2010 09:49AM
Good one.

It's still nearly a month before winter starts...

but to answer your question... yes... a fair number venture that far... but not many much further...
same is true for top of Yosemite Falls... get beyond Yosemite Pt. though and you got the park to yourself
last late Dec. was very surprised at how many peeps were on the Snow Creek trail...

A worthy endeavor is Clark Pt. if you are only dayhiking...
November 24, 2010 09:58AM
If you make it to Clark point, even on a day hike, you might as well head down to the brink of Vernal, don't you think?
November 24, 2010 10:14AM
hotrod4x5
If you make it to Clark point, even on a day hike, you might as well head down to the brink of Vernal, don't you think?

Only thing about that is that iIt's a 500 ft. climb back up if you go down to Vernal.

No need to go all the way to the brink though too... the Vernal Fall lookout on the
connector trail (only trail open at that time) down to the Mist trail... is one of my
favorite views in the park.
November 24, 2010 12:00PM
Good to know, I've only ever used the Mist Trail, so I am not familiar with the connector trail between Mist and JMT.
November 24, 2010 01:11PM
bill-e-g
the Vernal Fall lookout on the connector trail (only trail open at that time) down to the Mist trail... is one of my favorite views in the park.

You mean this view?

http://yosemitephotos.net/main.php/v/yosemite/sh-dscn5000.jpg.html
November 24, 2010 05:43PM
Yup... that view.

hotrod, the connector is simply the trail from Clark Pt. (which is on the JMT)
down to the Mist Trail just below the bridge above the Silver Apron.
(it's on the map above)... if you go on that trail DO NOT miss the lookout pt.
where that picture was taken.
November 25, 2010 08:13AM
How far down from Clark Point is that lookout? If we go to Clark point this winter, is that viewpoint a viable goal, then return? (since you or someone said going all the way to the brink isn't that desirable)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login