Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Fern on the Four Mile Trail, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (57% of Full)

Advanced

Re: chick-on

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

chick-on
January 12, 2011 12:17PM
How was your Yosemite trip?
January 12, 2011 01:54PM
Hi der.

I did put some stuff here:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,30488

You should check out the vid at the end. I think you will like.

I was gonna post about the snow cone you ask about. But you were in the valley
so I didn't say anything. Bummer on the JMT to Clark. It gets like that even though
they have cuts into the switchbacks to lessen the "av" slidey areas.

Anyway, all trips to Yose are incredible. Thanks for asking... and since you did...
I put a bunch o pix here for your enjoyment. Can do it for every trip but tink
perhops peeps get sick of me sqauwking all the time (I go A LOT).

Enjoy
http://picasaweb.google.com/yosemite.chick.on/SnowCreek

Chick-on is looking at you!

January 12, 2011 07:34PM
chick-on

Anyway, all trips to Yose are incredible. Thanks for asking... and since you did...
I put a bunch o pix here for your enjoyment. Can do it for every trip but tink
perhops peeps get sick of me sqauwking all the time (I go A LOT).

Enjoy
http://picasaweb.google.com/yosemite.chick.on/SnowCreek

Great pics i put some comments up...these may be pedestrian questions, why do you dig a trench for a campsite? what if it snows? how heavy is your shovel?
January 12, 2011 10:27PM
rroland
Great pics i put some comments up...these may be pedestrian questions, why do you dig a trench for a campsite? what if it snows? how heavy is your shovel?
No problemo.

Shovel is 20 oz. and compresses. You see plenty not taking a shovel but I've grown to
really like making a chair or couch to sit in or to dig out a trench to sleep in.
What I'm sleeping in is a Alpine Bivy. In reality it could snow right on me and I could
shake the snow off into the foot well dug next to the tree. Everything except the stove
and bear can (we were under 6800 so it's reqd) was in the bivy with me.
If it snowed a large amount I'd have to get out and clear out snow (another reason to have a shovel).
We had along tarps which we could have secured to make a kind of lean-to.
Got lazy and didn't bother with any tarp. It's dug down in case the wind shifted in an attempt to
avoid the brunt of the wind. The log provides both wind protection and an aid to setting up a
lean-to.
An example:

Slept under the tarp here and dug a well so the snow could run off into the well.

There's lots of ways to do things. You need to ensure you will stay warm and dry. That's paramount.
Best to just bring a good tent. Especially if you are claustrophobic....

Maybe go with some Sierra Club outting or something. I learned a bunch from the Old Dude and looked in books
and make stuff up as I go more and more... (i.e. I don't claim to be an expert)
(maybe bring backup if you're gonna try something new)

Be Safe, Have fun

January 13, 2011 02:37PM
chick-on
rroland
No problemo.

Shovel is 20 oz. and compresses. You see plenty not taking a shovel but I've grown to
really like making a chair or couch to sit in or to dig out a trench to sleep in.
What I'm sleeping in is a Alpine Bivy. In reality it could snow right on me and I could
shake the snow off into the foot well dug next to the tree. Everything except the stove
and bear can (we were under 6800 so it's reqd) was in the bivy with me.
If it snowed a large amount I'd have to get out and clear out snow (another reason to have a shovel).
We had along tarps which we could have secured to make a kind of lean-to.
Got lazy and didn't bother with any tarp. It's dug down in case the wind shifted in an attempt to
avoid the brunt of the wind. The log provides both wind protection and an aid to setting up a
lean-to.
An example:

Slept under the tarp here and dug a well so the snow could run off into the well.

There's lots of ways to do things. You need to ensure you will stay warm and dry. That's paramount.
Best to just bring a good tent. Especially if you are claustrophobic....

Maybe go with some Sierra Club outting or something. I learned a bunch from the Old Dude and looked in books
and make stuff up as I go more and more... (i.e. I don't claim to be an expert)
(maybe bring backup if you're gonna try something new)

Be Safe, Have fun

I gotta stay away from those Sierra Club trips. I did a bunch when I was a small fry, now it seems like it would take away the adventure aspect.

So on your Picasaweb page there is a pic of this massive trnech...the whole party (you, Old dude, Billy and Catalonian) were all in that trench?

Does it keep you warmer being closer to mama earth?

And I can see how a bird like yourself would be happy in a sack me I gotta tent it.

Thanks Chick-on...
January 13, 2011 02:56PM
rroland
I gotta stay away from those Sierra Club trips. I did a bunch when I was a small fry, now it seems like it would take away the adventure aspect.

I ran a bunch of them when I was younger. Keeping a group of adults together can be quite an adventure. winking smiley
January 13, 2011 04:39PM
rroland

So on your Picasaweb page there is a pic of this massive trnech...the whole party (you, Old dude, Billy and Catalonian) were all in that trench?

Does it keep you warmer being closer to mama earth?

Yeah, I want nuttin to do wit Sierra Club either. It's greats for some though.

Old Dude weiner dogg'ed out on this trip. We'd need a LOT BIGGER TRENCH for DAT Guy!!!!

Again, trench was just to get out of the wind. We're sleeping on snow ...
now if you cover it up or make a snow cave, that's a different story.. you can get it close to 32 if
you do either of those.

Have fun

January 12, 2011 07:47PM
wow zee woo zee. Totallly cool. I can see it all and still keep warm! Thanks chick-on. And let er ride.
January 12, 2011 11:47PM
Roland, Chick-on forgot to mention that this is a peekture of the aftermath after a 12+ hour snow storm. And the tent became a burro bungaloo- at the time. If I recall, and Billie-G can correct me, we decided to bring tent in case things got dicey and the tarp proved just fine.

BTW, disclaimer for those with no common sense: do not go out if you know there is a storm coming. We knew from weather forecast there was a slight chance that something would hit- so we tried to prepare just in case that unlikely thing would happen. Well it did. The day after the storm, it was no nice warm, sunny and clear.

Old Dude is wise and all knowing, and I continue to learned from him and Bill-e.

We also tried snow anchors made out of plastic grocery bags. You tie ropey to the bag handles, fill bag with snow and bury it. Idea was taken from a book. Mention this for those who wish to use tents or tarps for that matter. Save the $15-$20 you'd spend at REI for a snow anchor for beer n' burger on the way out instead- or cardboard pizza at curry! smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2011 11:49PM by Catalonian Burro.
January 13, 2011 02:42PM
Catalonian Burro
Roland, Chick-on forgot to mention that this is a peekture of the aftermath after a 12+ hour snow storm. And the tent became a burro bungaloo- at the time. If I recall, and Billie-G can correct me, we decided to bring tent in case things got dicey and the tarp proved just fine.

BTW, disclaimer for those with no common sense: do not go out if you know there is a storm coming. We knew from weather forecast there was a slight chance that something would hit- so we tried to prepare just in case that unlikely thing would happen. Well it did. The day after the storm, it was no nice warm, sunny and clear.

Old Dude is wise and all knowing, and I continue to learned from him and Bill-e.

We also tried snow anchors made out of plastic grocery bags. You tie ropey to the bag handles, fill bag with snow and bury it. Idea was taken from a book. Mention this for those who wish to use tents or tarps for that matter. Save the $15-$20 you'd spend at REI for a snow anchor for beer n' burger on the way out instead- or cardboard pizza at curry! smiling smiley

That's rad, the plastic bag idea...I guess Chick-on will answer about the trench, but that makes sense after a 12 hr snow storm the trench would fill up...glad you are all OK!
January 13, 2011 08:57AM

Chick-on~ there is no such thing as too many Yosemite pictures, or to many trips. My mom bought a new Cannon Rebel camera (no idea of the model) so she made me be her personal photo-taker.."get this, take that" so I came home with 240 pictures. I've always wondered about the Snow Creek Trail. It would be nice to try something different. The bummer about the snow over the trail is how close we were to the top!! Do you have you have to use a specific photo web site to post pics or is photo bucket okay? Could not see video link..can you re post that?

Thanks!
January 13, 2011 10:41AM
Almost any site should do... I prefer picasa...
Just try to post and then if it doesn't work someone will help you out.

Here's the video again...

January 13, 2011 06:35PM
Chick-on~ I culled my favorite shots. I loved your shot of all the ice on the mountains on the Glacier Point side..I was like, hey, I was there!

http://s1120.photobucket.com/albums/l496/nightskylabs/Jan%20Yosemite%202011/
January 13, 2011 08:25PM
Cool. Thanks 4 sharin.
Nice shot of the Ledge Trail...
And the dam type works by Vernal is interesting. I've never noticed it.
The Bear Head looks sad... slim pickings in winter... and ear tagged...

btw... we saw a bear chugging down Big Oak Flat Road on the way in
(was too slow on the camera though).. and saw a Coyote on the way
out (too slow again... and too dark)

photobucket makes it really easy to share... you can imbed photos
in a post by using the IMG "button" on their site.

Have fun,

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login