Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (60% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Yosemite National Park Being Evacuated After Storm Knocks Out Power, Closes Roads

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Yosemite National Park Being Evacuated After Storm Knocks Out Power, Closes Roads
March 21, 2011 03:30PM
YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK, Calif. (AP) — All roads into Yosemite National Park have been temporarily closed after a major storm dumped snow, caused mudslides and downed trees and power lines.

Park officials said Monday that power is out across Yosemite Valley and about 200 visitors are being evacuated.

Officials say the weekend storm dropped more than 3.5 feet of snow throughout the park in the last 24 hours, including in Yosemite Valley, Wawona, and Crane Flat.

Highways 41, 120 and 140 entering the park have been closed.

Read more here:

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2011/03/21/yosemite-national-park-being-evacuated-after-storm-knocks-out-power-closes-roads/

The body betrays and the weather conspires, hopefully, not on the same day.
avatar Re: Yosemite National Park Being Evacuated After Storm Knocks Out Power, Closes Roads
March 21, 2011 09:20PM
mrcondron
HS!! Check out the camera at Sentinel Dome!!

http://www.yosemiteconservancystore.com/DSN/wwwyosemiteassociationorg/Content/Webcam/Original/sentinel.jpg

I CAN'T SEE A THINGY!! SOMEONE TURNED OUT THE LIGHTS...BUMP. OUCH!!

mrcondron
HS!! Check out the camera at Sentinel Dome!!

http://www.yosemiteconservancystore.com/DSN/wwwyosemiteassociationorg/Content/Webcam/Original/sentinel.jpg

sure is boring watching snow consolidate
Video of Sentinel Dome Webcam - Monday March 21, 2011

On the other hand Sunday in the valley must have been fun for the snow lovers!
Watching it snow at Happy Isles on Sunday March 20, 2011

3 of the 4 Webcams in the YV area are out at the moment. Hope they get them running again quickly! Sentinel Dome is the only one running. sad smiley And that's behind a snow bank where you can't see much!
I've never seen Half Dome hidden before.

Old Dude

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2011 02:59AM by mrcondron.
avatar Re: Yosemite National Park Being Evacuated After Storm Knocks Out Power, Closes Roads
March 22, 2011 01:19PM
mrcondron
I've never seen Half Dome hidden before.

Actually it's been stolen. That's why they have the park roads closed down. winking smiley
avatar All Roads into Yosemite Temporarily Closed
March 21, 2011 04:49PM
All Roads into Yosemite Temporarily Closed
Date: March 21, 2011

As of 10:30 a.m. March 21, all roads leading into Yosemite National Park are temporarily closed due to snow, ice, mudslides, fallen trees and downed power lines. In the last 24 hours, a winter storm has dropped over 3.5 feet of snow throughout the park in areas including Yosemite Valley, Wawona, and Crane Flat. Approximately 9 inches has fallen in El Portal. Highways 41 (Wawona Road), 120 (Big Oak Flat Road), and 140 (El Portal Road) into Yosemite National Park are closed at this time due to snowy and icy conditions. Additionally, Caltrans has temporarily closed Highway 140 outside of the park boundary between El Portal and Mid Pines due to mud slides, rockfall, downed power lines, and fallen trees. The Badger Pass Road and the Hetch Hetchy Road are also closed at this time. There is currently a winter storm warning in effect.

Assessment of all roads in Yosemite will occur throughout the day. For 24-hour information for roads within Yosemite National Park please call 209-372-0200. For updates on conditions for roads outside of Yosemite, please call Caltrans at 1-800-427-7623. For information about reservations and accommodations, please call (801) 559-4884. Additional news releases will be sent out as updates are available.
Bee,

I'll be the first to ask - just nagging for the heck of it.

Will this affect travel plans? When will Tioga open? How about High Sierra Camps? Are we there yet?

The snow total still is not as much as 2005 and 2006, and spring thaw rate may be different as well.
I think they were 180% years, and this one is 120% or so, I think - not sure that included this recent big dump.
2006 really was a problem year wasn't it? was that the one HSC did not open at all?
Muir Pass was still 8 miles of postholing slog even in July that year.

Harvey
March 21, 2011 05:39PM
  1. Yes
  2. Don't know
  3. Don't know
  4. Just around the next bend
March 21, 2011 09:22PM
h_lankford
Bee,

I'll be the first to ask - just nagging for the heck of it.

Will this affect travel plans? When will Tioga open? How about High Sierra Camps? Are we there yet?

The snow total still is not as much as 2005 and 2006, and spring thaw rate may be different as well.
I think they were 180% years, and this one is 120% or so, I think - not sure that included this recent big dump.
2006 really was a problem year wasn't it? was that the one HSC did not open at all?
Muir Pass was still 8 miles of postholing slog even in July that year.

Harvey

I think that we should start a pool as to when Tioga will open (no Physics equations allowed!)

March 22, 2011 01:32AM
Bee
I think that we should start a pool as to when Tioga will open (no Physics equations allowed!)

Sometime in August?
Huh? We weren't evacuated. No one said we HAD to leave...

Saturday was really nice...
Sunday was glorious... beautiful snowfall the entire day... big fluffy flakes of snow...
Today/Monday was a lot of sun, just gorgeous. And loads of people walking around on the roads.

Chick-on is looking at you!
March 21, 2011 08:57PM
chick-on

Sunday was glorious... beautiful snowfall the entire day... big fluffy flakes of snow...
Today/Monday was a lot of sun, just gorgeous. And loads of people walking around on the roads.

Wish I was there. Sigh.
eeek
chick-on

Wish I was there. Sigh.

Maybe I will "send" you a postcard. What you want in it?

eeek
Wish I was there. Sigh.

4 u:

March 22, 2011 01:20PM
chick-on
eeek
Wish I was there. Sigh.

4 u:

Yep, I really wish I was there.
March 21, 2011 09:18PM
No big windy-ness on Sat night or Sunday?? We had 50MPH gusts all night Sat.

I've seen the snow in front of the Sentinel cam before, but its been a few years I think.
Bee
No big windy-ness on Sat night or Sunday?? We had 50MPH gusts all night Sat.

Nope. Not a stitch of wind in the valley Sat-Monday. Take a look at the HI webcam
posted above. Snow straight down. Just beautiful..
For more you can clicky on my linky.

The trees that fell I'm pretty sure were due to snow load. We saw one big ol branch go ca-blooey
just outside our balcony.

March 22, 2011 10:23AM
chick-on
Huh? We weren't evacuated....

The NPS probably doesn't do windows or chickens.
Damn, I left 2 hours before the storm hit! I should have stayed... I was out of firewood so that was my deciding factor...
That is kinda crazy. I wouldn't want to be trapped there ill-prepared.
Come on!, come on!, come on!... we want pictures from you guys that are up there! We want to see the snow in Yosemite!!!!
Max
Come on!, come on!, come on!... we want pictures from you guys that are up there! We want to see the snow in Yosemite!!!!
Click on my signature....

Very nice pics. Especially the Chapel. One of my favorites.
Chick-on, those are some awesome pics!!! As always thank you for sharing them with us. What kind of camera do you use?
oakroscoe
Chick-on, those are some awesome pics!!! As always thank you for sharing them with us. What kind of camera do you use?
U R Welcome

Clicky on one of the faux-toes.
Info about pix is on the right. which includes date and camera type and whatnut.
The short answer is :
Camera: Panasonic
Model: DMC-ZS7

chick-on
oakroscoe
U R Welcome

Clicky on one of the faux-toes.
Info about pix is on the right. which includes date and camera type and whatnut.
The short answer is :
Camera: Panasonic
Model: DMC-ZS7

Thanks! I was looking at the pics on my iPhone, I forgot you could tell when you look at them on a computer. Anyways, great pics!
avatar All Roads into Yosemite National Park Remain Closed
March 23, 2011 03:07PM
All Roads into Yosemite National Park Remain Closed
Date: March 22, 2011

All roads into Yosemite National Park remain closed due to a severe winter storm on March 19 through March 20. Yosemite Valley received over three feet of snow and all power is out within the park and surrounding areas. There is no anticipated date or time for roads to reopen and power to be stored.

Phone lines to Yosemite National Park's Public Affairs Office are currently not working. Media inquiries should be directed to Kari Cobb at 209-742-3520.

An update will be issued when conditions change. For updated road information in Yosemite National Park, please call 209-372-0200. For updated road information within the gateway communities, please call 1-800-427-7623.
avatar Re: All Roads into Yosemite National Park Remain Closed
March 23, 2011 05:13PM
It looks like they have restored power back to Yosemite Village since the Ahwahnee Meadow Half Dome webcam is back online. But power to Turtleback Dome stills appears to be out (at least to the two webcams mounted there).
avatar Re: All Roads into Yosemite National Park Remain Closed
March 23, 2011 05:15PM
plawrence
It looks like they have restored power back to Yosemite Village since the Ahwahnee Meadow Half Dome webcam is back online.

Might be a generator.
Where are the links to the cams?
March 25, 2011 12:46PM
fluxfluxa
Where are the links to the cams?

At the bottom of this page.
Thanks. I never noticed them. Pretty neat when they are working!
The only cam with a view is Ahwahnee Meadow.
Sentinel Dome cam is working, but all you see is the side of a HUGE snow bank. sad smiley
March 25, 2011 02:48PM
qumqats
Sentinel Dome cam is working, but all you see is the side of a HUGE snow bank. sad smiley

No, you also get an icicle on the upper right. winking smiley
Where is Bigfoot when you need him?
Strix

He just had a video taken in North Carolina!
Wickett
Strix

Yeh, he comes around my back yard every evening around dusk. No photos, though. Sorry.
March 26, 2011 11:26AM
tomdisco
Wickett
Strix

Yeh, he comes around my back yard every evening around dusk. No photos, though. Sorry.

That's actually the Dreaded Giant Furry Bigfooted Chick-on: Chick-on avec les pieds
I was hoping Bigfoot would come by and shovel some snow away from the cam. He knows where it is.
http://www.halfdome.net/favs/fav_07.php
The video should load and start on its own in a minute or three. (At least it does for me)
The power should be back up. Of course, we didn't really even notice... it is the great outdoors, sorta.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login